Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Compiling from git, Ubuntu 12.04

Hallo,

Perhaps somebody will be able to help me...

I try to - see title - and get many errors, the first one being:

"CMake Warning at src/Sigil/CMakeLists.txt:38 (find_package):
By not providing "FindQt5Network.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"Qt5Network", but CMake did not find one"

and many more, all concerning Qt5 packages. I compiled Qt5 (took whole Sunday!) and installed it in /usr/local/Qt-5.0.1 and, of course, it didn't help.

There is information what I should do:

"Add the installation prefix of "Qt5Network" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"Qt5Network_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"Qt5Network" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
been installed."

which will be probably sufficient if I knew my CMake and Qt - but I don't .

Any hint would be welcomed...
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I use update-alternatives to manage multiple qmake versions. Once you have the update-alternatives package installed, it's fairly trivial to add an alternate version of qmake (the one you custom built). It then handles the symlinking necessary when choosing which different versions of qmake (or any program for that matter) you want to use.

All in all, I've never needed more than the /usr/bin/qmake symlink pointed to qmake in the directory where I installed my custom Qt build in order to build Sigil against a version of Qt that wasn't my system default. Update-alternatives just made it a bit easier to manage the symlinks. Of course after it's built, you'll need to launch Sigil from a script that adds your custom Qt/lib directory to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

You've reminded me that I need to be working on getting Qt5 compiled so I'll be able to build any new versions of Sigil down the road.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-22-2013 at 06:09 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'm compiling on Mint 14 (which is based on 12.04) and I installed Qt5 from download here (I didn't compile it).

I didn't even bother with symlinks I just set the PATH so that it picks up Qt5 first and cmake does the rest. Also, I find setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't needed so long as the path to the Qt5 lib directory doesn't change.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, if you're OK with the newer version of Qt becoming your default system Qt dev environment, then you won't need to mess with setting the LD_LIBARY_PATH or creating symlinks (or possibly even compiling). I was referring to maintaining both the standard repo-installed version of qt/qt-dev and a newer custom-built version at the same time.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually I'm only using Qt5 for building sigil, the default Qt is still the system version (4.8 I think). I only set the PATH for the session doing the build. Once it picks up the correct qmake cmake configures everything else.

I figured I was going to have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH but found it worked even if I didn't and have found that the executable gets compiled with the full path to the library in it. If that path exists it uses it, otherwise it checks LD_LIBRARY_PATH. (I've seen this before and I can't remember if it's a particular compile flag but I don't think it does it by default.)

Of course setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH would be neater and 'safer' but it's handy not to have to.
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ah... I'm still on 11.10... and without LD_LIBRARY_PATH updated with my custom-built Qt-4.8 libs (4.7.4 is default), Sigil v6.x just flat-out wouldn't launch without it after a successful build/install.

Other than that, we're basically doing the same thing: you're setting the session PATH to pick up Qt5's qmake and I'm using update-alternatives to automatically manipulate a generic qmake symlink in /usr/bin so it points to the particular version I want to build against.

I guess I should bite the bullet and update someday, but my hardware is getting pretty old.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
latepaul
Wizard

What version of gcc do you have and have you successfully compiled Flightcrew? I seem to be hitting this issue but I tried the fix in that ticket and it didn't resolve it for me. I started tracing the chain of #ifdef'd #defines but I ran out of time last night.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm using gcc 4.6.1. If you're talking compiling the Flightcrew that comes with Sigil, I haven't tried it yet (not since v0.6.2, when it worked fine). I just got Qt5 compiled last night. I usually don't spend a lot of time compiling the current git version of Sigil, if that's what you mean. Too volatile and sometimes downright broken. I'm just being prepared for whenever a new version is released that requires Qt5.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, thanks, it's sooo easy:

env PATH="/path/to/Qt/":${PATH} CompilingScript

did it .

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Well... not having good luck on 11.10, so far. Got Qt-5 to build fairly painlessly (there's some fairly straightforward 11.10 dependency documentation in the source). Got Sigil to compile with no errors (after manually building a newer version of cmake since Sigil requires a newer version than my repos have), but the binary just segfaults. Going to try the binary Qt-5 install and see if I have any better luck compiling against that.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
varlog
actually it is /var/log

My Qt5 12.04 Sigil seems to function so far. I checked it with "TheNewGenetics.epub" ( free from http://publications.nigms.nih.gov/order/index.htm), which Sigil tag 0.62 Qt4 was not able to load - actually this prompted me to try next Sigil git issue - and it loaded fine.
I'm not sure I like new behaviour of F10 (Preview Window), personally I'd prefer the old way - maybe because of my 20 inch monitor.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I just upgraded my build environment to Kubuntu 12.10 in a virtual machine (in order to get the updated cmake that DD mentioned above), with Qt5 installed as binaries from the link cited above. Had a little trouble getting started with cmake, namely the same errors that the OP encountered.

Using update-alternatives to point to the Qt5 qmake did not, by itself, help; but starting cmake with :
Code:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.0/5.0.0/gcc/lib/cmake/ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release sigil
(as the error message suggested) did the job.

As an aside, a quick test drive of the build went fine, and as an added bonus I noticed that the usual KDE-related quirks (such as crashing when dragging chapters around in the book view) seem to be gone.

I'm not sure what to do with the extra preview window either, but as I seldom use it, it isn't a big deal.

YMMV

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
varlog
actually it is /var/log

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
(as the error message suggested)
Yeah yeah, just rub it in...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
Yeah yeah, just rub it in...
Heh. No, I didn't mean it that way. It just goes to show that there's more than one way to skin the cat.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
varlog
actually it is /var/log

sorry, I should have been more thoughtful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Code:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.0/5.0.0/gcc/lib/cmake/ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release sigil
it's of course noticed and thankfully acknowledged.

Last edited by varlog; 01-23-2013 at 05:49 PM.