Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Plus it's much easier to edit a ePub file. You just need unzip and any text editor.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
i also find epubs to be smaller file sizes than their mobi counterparts (same book of course).
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
i also find epubs to be smaller file sizes than their mobi counterparts (same book of course).
Interesting - I've usually found it to be the other way round ePub > mobi/prc ...

mobi supports dictionary lookup, whilst last I saw ePub didn't....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
ePub supports drop caps, embedded fonts and pictures with text that flow around them, to name but a few.
And yet the exact same epub code to create those few whistles and bells renders differently (if at all) on different platforms. I'm not pimping one format over the other, I'm just pointing out that ePub isn't the ebook savior that everyone wants to think it is. They still haven't got everybody to abide by the current ePub standards, yet they think it's a good idea to introduce ePub3?

(JSWolf in 5... 4... 3... 2...)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Agree. But I will mention that many eBook reader devices use ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) as their rendering engine. Adobe charges for that priviledge, and it kind of makes "open source" not so open. I hope Amazon does switch to ePub, but I also hope they continue to tell Adobe to buzz off and take their bloatware with them.

@max99, The ePub format is more versatile and certainly renders better in some cases. Even though ePub is used my almost all the reader manufacturers and stores other than Amazon, Amazon still sells appx. 67% of the eBooks in the USA market. You don't have to be a math wizard to see that that means more books are sold in mobi (or Amazon's version of mobi) than in ePub in the USA market. (I'm not sure about the world-wide market. I suspect ePub does much better there.)
Given that Amazon doesn't release sales figures, that 67% is a guess. Please stop posting numbers that mean little to nothing because they are based on a guess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
but pidgeon92, if we don't argue about ebook formats, what WILL we argue about?
Dan Brown isn't really that bad of an author, is he?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Mobi is based on HTML3, whereas ePub is based on HTML4, which supports CSS, so allows for richer formatting. Among other features, ePub supports drop caps, embedded fonts and pictures with text that flow around them, to name but a few.
As well at true blockquotes where you also get a right margin.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
Unless the ePub has embedded fonts which Mobipocket does not support.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And yet the exact same epub code to create those few whistles and bells renders differently (if at all) on different platforms. I'm not pimping one format over the other, I'm just pointing out that ePub isn't the ebook savior that everyone wants to think it is. They still haven't got everybody to abide by the current ePub standards, yet they think it's a good idea to introduce ePub3?
What programs on what platforms work differently?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What programs on what platforms work differently?
I'll give you a hint. It's a platform that millions of people seem to love, yet you tend to dismiss as unworthy. As much as you might wish it were, the ePub world is still not ADE-only yet... and the exact same epub code will render differently on non-ADE engines than it does on ADE engines.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'll give you a hint. It's a platform that millions of people seem to love, yet you tend to dismiss as unworthy. As much as you might wish it were, the ePub world is still not ADE-only yet... and the exact same epub code will render differently on non-ADE engines than it does on ADE engines.
Do you think it's the fault of the ADE engines or the non-ADE engines?

For OSX, ADE is available. It's Linux that doesn't have a native ADE. What programs are available for Linux to view ePub?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Who cares?! ADE and Non-ADE ereader designer/programmers both tend to interpret the vague wording of much of the ePub spec to suit their own needs. My point is that different programs/devices view the same code differently.

Quote:
For OSX, ADE is available. It's Linux that doesn't have a native ADE. What programs are available for Linux to view ePub?
You think your beloved Sony runs Windows or OSX under the hood?

Again, you're missing my point, but to name a few just in case you were seriously wondering; calibre, FBReader and EPUBReader.

(and you only have two more guesses, because Linux ain't what I was hinting at)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-06-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #28
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

For me, the big ones are fbreader, calibre, ocular, and of course the firefox plugin. There are probably others, but I'm CRS challenged.

Don't know of any that use the ADE engine. Don't know if ADE runs under wine.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ADE 1.7.2 runs under Wine. But the 1.8 preview may or may not as it needs .net.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
For me, the big ones are fbreader, calibre, ocular, and of course the firefox plugin. There are probably others, but I'm CRS challenged.

Don't know of any that use the ADE engine. Don't know if ADE runs under wine.
We know that there are problems with FBReader and CSS. I've not tried Ocular or the Firefox plugin. I have used Firefox to view the XML files and that's not 100% compatible with ADE. But it is close enough for making edits to the ePub. I've not really used Calibre's eBook viewer often enough to know what sort of differences there may be.