Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club July 2011 Vote
Bleak House by Charles Dickens 14 34.15%
The Tale Of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu 6 14.63%
The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote Of La Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes 4 9.76%
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie 5 12.20%
Paradise Lost by John Milton 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
neck and neck though: getting exciting! next time, though, i'll vote strategically like Beppe
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I got a complete works of Dickens for $2.99 on Amazon. I love those omnibus editions! My library is so large that having 15 books with only one entry makes browsing so much easier.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
Dickens and Milton in a horse race! It couldn’t get much better.
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkietech View Post
Dickens and Milton in a horse race! It couldn’t get much better.
Yes it could. Milton could be losing by double digits.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes it could. Milton could be losing by double digits.

I only agree because I have no desire to read Paradise Lost - at least not right now.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #21
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I spent an entire semester on Paradise Lost in a class at university. I cannot imagine trying to digest it in a month, though I think its an epic work of English poetry. Same for Tale of Genji.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #22
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Talking

<< VANDY, looking over the voting results, valiantly struggles to keep his head out of the water but knows he won't succeed... >>
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A very close vote with less than a half day left!

Regarding the worries about finishing a work on time, there isn't really an "on time". There is a day that we'll start the discussion, but if it takes one longer then that's fine. One can post in the discussion thread even months later if one wants or needs to. I'm still reading Anna Karenina for the general book club months after it was the selection - and plan on posting in the discussion thread for it once I'm done.

I know that most people will still want to finish a selection by the start of discussion, including me, but especially with a category like this month's where the goal is to choose a work we otherwise might not want to undertake because of its length or difficulty, it may take people longer.

As to the choices, I'm interested in all five! A great thing for me about these nominations is that it gets me interested in so many of the choices - which is also a hard thing since I can't read them all at once.

As to the two in the lead, I've read only one Dickens novel before (Great Expectations) and I enjoyed it, and I haven't read any John Milton before. I suppose I'm rooting for Paradise Lost to win since it seems the more challenging to me.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #24
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

Regarding the worries about finishing a work on time, there isn't really an "on time". There is a day that we'll start the discussion, but if it takes one longer then that's fine. One can post in the discussion thread even months later if one wants or needs to. I'm still reading Anna Karenina for the general book club months after it was the selection - and plan on posting in the discussion thread for it once I'm done.

I know that most people will still want to finish a selection by the start of discussion, including me, but especially with a category like this month's where the goal is to choose a work we otherwise might not want to undertake because of its length or difficulty, it may take people longer.

As to the choices, I'm interested in all five! A great thing for me about these nominations is that it gets me interested in so many of the choices - which is also a hard thing since I can't read them all at once.
It's good to know that there isn't a time limit for the discussion! I probably should have realised that when I noticed that there are still interesting posts about our last selection still being made.

I agree completely about the intellectual stimulus and expansion of interest one gets from the variety of nominations--in fact, as I said earlier, I would never have read TM&M if I had not joined this club. BTW this is the first book club of this type that I have ever been a member of. It is an enjoyable experience.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-29-2011 at 07:01 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I had to vote for Midnight's Children though I did hesitate because of the agency pricing but I'm not averse to reading the paper edition.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

As to the two in the lead, I've read only one Dickens novel before (Great Expectations) and I enjoyed it, and I haven't read any John Milton before. I suppose I'm rooting for Paradise Lost to win since it seems the more challenging to me.

Im at the same position, didn't finish Master and Margarita from last month but im reading the discussion so I can post whenever i finish it.

This one is a great selection, i've never heard of Tale of Genji, so it got my attention. Im still in doubt between Genji and Paradise Lost
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
We have Bleak House here at MobileRead, as JSWolf mentioned, for free, if it is legally available in your area.

Here is a link to the thread with the epub version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54054

Here is a link to the thread with the mobi version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12763

I think both are the same version. It's a version with 40 illustrations. Not sure about the illustrations but per the thread it's a well-formatted version.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I left it too late to vote. I was um-ing and ah-ing through the whole process knowing that I wasn't overly anxious to take on any monster books at the moment.

For what it's worth, I'd just decided (finally) to vote for Bleak House, so my vote wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

I'm not sure if I'll get to this book at all to be honest, but I did promise myself I'd read at least one Dickens book this year. Had planned on it being A Tale of Two Cities, but I can be flexible.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #29
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Yay! Bleak House. Starting it tonight.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I feel like a party pooper, but I won't be reading Bleak House. I've read it once and didn't like it enough for a reread. If it were shorter I wouldn't mind, but life (and summer) are too fleeting for such a time sink. Anyway, Paola and I have to get cracking on Magic Mountain, our beach read.

I look forward to reading the commentary, however, and perhaps it will engender a new appreciation in me for the bulky tome.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, voting