Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Just bought a Nook HD+

Well, I got suckered into getting the HD+ with all the heavy price cutting that's been going on. I'm must admit I'm rather excited about it- it is my first tablet. I'll be looking forward to reading on it, reading PDF's (especially), listing to some music, and playing chess and a few other small games. For my uses I think it should fit the bill nicely- I don't need and am not interested in paying the extra cash for a gyroscope, gps, barometer, camera, etc.
Who else owns this tablet, and what are your thoughts on it? Has anyone here put Cyanogenmod or some other ROM on it?
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I have one and find it to be a really nice tablet with a gorgeous screen. With B&N adding Google Play access I haven't found the need to put a custom ROM on it, but do use an alternate launcher.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
We have one HD+ in the house. It is extremely nice. If you don't need the Amazon App store, then I see no need to modify it. You can, of course, install an alternate launcher. We use ADW on ours. It gives a nice alternate home screen. You can switch back and forth instantly.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
Who else owns this tablet, and what are your thoughts on it? Has anyone here put Cyanogenmod or some other ROM on it?
I think the HD+ at its current $149 is a fantastic tablet for the money.

If you'd like to try out CyanogenMod, I'd suggest running it first on SD card: just download a free pre-made CM10.x SD-card image archived file (cm_ovation_10.2.0-RCx_ddmmyyyy_HD_SDC_IMG.7z) from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...-hd-18sep2013/, unzip it (e.g., with 7-zip), burn the unzipped .img file to a SD card (e.g., with win32diskimager), and it's ready for use.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
I'm grateful to have a Nook HD+. It helps me to study for my Microsoft Cert exams, and I passed one already. I do most of my serious reading, which includes highlighting, on the Nook HD+ since I can take it anywhere and everywhere & its screen is big & clear enough for textbooks ... Thanks B&N for making a nice affordable 8.9" tablet.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have one and bought my mother one. She loves it because it is big enough for her to read despite her macular degeneration.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Apache, I thought yours got run over?

I love mine. I put CM10.1 on it because there's certain Android features I like. I really enjoy reading magazines on it, and an occasional book

I also run Plex on my home computer and purchased the Plex app so I can watch all my movies and TV shows on my Nook. Nice for laying in bed watching a movie with ear buds on so I don't keep the wife awake.

I also bought a REAL leather cover on ebay that has magnets that turn my Nook on and off. Only paid $12 for it.

Last edited by kevinp; 10-03-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added the cover info...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Apache, I thought yours got run over?
It did, but I had it insured through Square Trade. I bought a new right away and they sent me the check a week after I sent the damaged one off.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to hear from everyone. Glad it seems I've not made too big a mistake.
I may try the alternate launcher idea. I have seen in reviews that most folks' main gripe with the tablet is its occasionally sluggish UI, and I'm sure Cyanogenmod would fix that. I've installed it on a number of phones already and always with great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I also bought a REAL leather cover on ebay that has magnets that turn my Nook on and off. Only paid $12 for it.
That's a pretty good deal- any more where that came from, or was it a one time sale?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
I have seen in reviews that most folks' main gripe with the tablet is its occasionally sluggish UI, and I'm sure Cyanogenmod would fix that.
I have not seen much difference in UI responsiveness between CM and stock ROM, in fact things can occasionally get laggy in some CM builds.

What I do notice is my HD+ runs cooler (on left bottom corner) with CM than with stock ROM, and other folks have observed the same.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Congratulations and good choice! I am so happy with my Nook HD that I'm thinking about getting an HD+ soon as I fear they may not be available for much longer.

Besides the great prices, they have very good screens and SD card slots.

I kept the stock firmware but flashed it with a mod to allow side loading and a greater number of apps from Google Play. Works great.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I have an HD+ that I bought when they first added the google play store and reduced the price. My main use is for reading....love the big screen.. as well for movies and some apps that I use regularly. No need to mod it in my case. Then I loved it so much that I recently bought the HD version so that I could easily throw it in my purse when just out and about. They are both fantastic!!
So far the stock firmware suits me fine but it is good to know there are alternatives that flash if need be .
That ADW launcher looks inviting.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
cortman
Zealot

I am also really impressed with the screen resolution (just as good as the latest Kindle Fire, I believe), and the SD card slot is really nice. I wish tablet manufacturers would stop removing that feature.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I am also really impressed with the screen resolution (just as good as the latest Kindle Fire, I believe), and the SD card slot is really nice. I wish tablet manufacturers would stop removing that feature.
No, the resolution is better than the 2012 Fire but the 2013 Fire has better resolution. But it hardly matters....you are stuck with the Fire UI. I would rather have the slightly less resolution of the Nook HD than the Fire UI. No wall paper = no sale.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
I loved my Nook HD+ at first because the screen was beautiful. Then I added ADW launcher and it did almost everything I wanted it too and I loved it more. This weekend I finally got over my fears and installed CM10 on it (following the helpful instructions here). It's amazing! CyanogenMod overcomes all the limitations of the Nook interface and leaves you with a fast, gorgeous tablet.
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote