Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
after providing 3 versions of fonts at the fonts folder in the book browser i did following things
-
opened a blank stylesheet (style0001.css) by right clicking on the styles folder of book browser and pasted following code

font-face {
font-family: "myfontname";
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/myfontname-b.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Myfontname";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(../Fonts/Myfontname-i.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Myfontname";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/Myfontname-n.ttf);
}
p{
text-indent: 0;
text-align: justify;
font-size: 1em;
margin-top:0;
margin-bottom: 1em;
}
body { font-family: "Myfontname", serif; }

NOTE:"Myfontname" is actually the name of my font.

isn't it enough? what more should i do?
Names are case-sensitive, make sure you are writing filenames exactly as they are.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #32
sachin
Enthusiast
sachin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Names are case-sensitive, make sure you are writing filenames exactly as they are.
They are also correct, but still not working properly. epub reader(calibre) now considering font which is already in my system.
One more thing is my epub reader -calibre- is considering different fonts of my language when opened in windows, linux and in firefox pluggin.
Thanks a lot for your support guys.
sachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #33
sachin
Enthusiast

forceful font embedding

Hi all,
I need to know that is there any method to forcefully embed the font by using sigil?
What i mean to say is I have different kinds of fonts in my mother-language, when i embedd one font by using sigil and i read in calibre on my PC, the displaying font is the one which is already present in the PC but not the font which i embedded. i need to forcefully display the font which i embed. i guess that i already have other fonts in my PC so ebook reader is using those fonts only instead of my embedded fonts. How to make it work. any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, when you use an embedded font, the Calibre preview, Sigil Bookview and ADE should display the embedded font. That is in fact the whole point.

I have seen that sometimes embedding fonts will result into problems if the fontname contains a space.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are also correct, but still not working properly. epub reader(calibre) now considering font which is already in my system.
One more thing is my epub reader -calibre- is considering different fonts of my language when opened in windows, linux and in firefox pluggin.
Thanks a lot for your support guys.
I think it would be better to repost this in the ePub forum, where it will have more visibility. It would also help if you uploaded your ePub document.
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #36
sachin
Enthusiast

Thanks for your suggestion guys...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #37
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion guys...
I just thought... Is your font a serif font? (as declared in the following line in the CSS)

Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #38
sachin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I just thought... Is your font a serif font? (as declared in the following line in the CSS)

I didn't check is it a serif font or not and i don't know how to check. But now problem is fixed with the arrival of new problem.

I tested my newly created on epub on SIGIL, CALIBRE and EPUBREADER ADD-ON, it is properly working there. But the problem I'm suggested to check on ADE, so I installed ADE on win-7 and tested it and there is still a rendering problem with it. My ebook is not displaying properly here. How should i embed font to display properly on ADE? Do you expect me to attach my CSS with it? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I didn't check is it a serif font or not and i don't know how to check.
Serif fonts have little "hanging bits" on the edges of the letters.
This is a serif font. (Palatino Linotype)
This is a different serif font. (Garamond.)

Sans serif fonts don't. Mobileread's forum is, by default, in a sans serif font.
This is a sans serif font. (Arial)
This is a different sans serif font. (Impact.)

If you add ", serif" to the end of the font family, it means if it can't find that specific font, it'll display in whatever the device's generic serif font is.

Serif fonts are often easier to read on paper and e-ink; sans serif are often easier on LCD/OLED screens. This is because the "hanging bits," which give the eye something to follow on a fixed screen/page, can get blurry at low resolutions, which most computer screens have.

(I have no specific suggestions about the CSS and font embedding; while I've managed it for some ebooks for myself, I think my process is not quite right because it doesn't seem to always work. I'll leave that to people who actually understand what they're doing with it.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Serif fonts have little "hanging bits" on the edges of the letters.
This is a serif font. (Palatino Linotype)
This is a different serif font. (Garamond.)

Sans serif fonts don't. Mobileread's forum is, by default, in a sans serif font.
This is a sans serif font. (Arial)
This is a different sans serif font. (Impact.)

Of course, that only works if you have the corresponding fonts installed. In my screen all bits are sans serif
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #41
Arran
Lernender
Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre, Sigil and Tolino
And it does not work at all, if you configure your browser to use uniquely a defined font.

A really great tutorial. However, I know XHTML and CSS quite well. Is it possible to use HTML3 and CSS5 already or better keep hands off?

And for embedding fonts what about the copyrights of the «foundries»? Better using free fonts? Are there any standards if I have bought fonts for commercial use on websites to use too on free or sold eBooks?

Last edited by Arran; 03-28-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Arran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
A really great tutorial. However, I know XHTML and CSS quite well. Is it possible to use HTML3 and CSS5 already or better keep hands off?
If you already know CSS and XHTML it would be a good idea to have a look at the ePub 2 specification to see what's supported and what is not.
The current version of the ePub standard is 3, but most readers in the market today only support (a subset of) ePub 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
And for embedding fonts what about the copyrights of the «foundries»? Better using free fonts? Are there any standards if I have bought fonts for commercial use on websites to use too on free or sold eBooks?
I believe you can use commercial fonts on your ebooks, but you have to encrypt them using "font obfuscation". Here's an article on this subject. This prevents unauthorized reuse of the font.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #43
Pablo
Guru

I just uploaded version 2 of the tutorial, covering Sigil 0.5.3 (see first post of this thread for the file)
Sigil has changed so much in the last year that the original document was almost obsolete.
I hope you find it useful.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #44
gogreen
gogreen began at the beginning.

ebook formatting guides

Hi There, I recently created my own very simple guide based on converting a manuscript to an ebook. As you say there are plenty to choose from out there. My main motivation was to write down my experience of learning how to convert an ebook based on no prior knowledge, mainly so I have a point of reference for any future book conversions. If you want to check out a free pdf copy go to http://www.davidkindertheauthor.com/ . So yes for me I felt writing a guide was worth it, but if your already highly computer literate I am not so sure sure of the market for books with lots of html explanations. I have made no attempt to promote my book other than to publish on Kindle. If someone picks it up and it helps them then great, otherwise it is there so I can remember how I did it in a couple of years time. Good Luck.
gogreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #45
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
If you want to check out a free pdf copy go to http://www.davidkindertheauthor.com/ .
I didn't see a PDF copy at all, just links to Amazon for mobi copies. Do you have a PDF version? (And why would you release an epub tutorial only in a Kindle market?)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote