Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #166
along_dl
along_dl began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Japanese version PRS-T2

I got a japanese version sony prst2 with firmware no. of 1.0.03.11120. Because most of rooting devices are EU/US versions, there 's lack of information about Japanese T2. I got a clue about Japanese t1 by Porkupan, but there is no further progress on Japanese t2.
along_dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #167
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I don't understand Sony in this it sell an incomplete product (cannot read PDF decently, no odt format, no CBZ/CBR format...) and volunteers totally freely complete the product for them... and they close the "hole"? What hole? What's the problem if I do anything I want with a product I have bought?

I could understood if this facilitate piracy in some way but...

So in the end I cannot find the PRS-T1 anymore but only T2 and the only difference seems to me that one could rooted and the other not at least on the updated firmware, there's a possibility to recognize a T2 not rootable or not? Before buy it I prefer to check...

For sure I've to stay away from updated products (1.00.5 is evil!) but how to recognize 1.00.4 fake?

Thanks!
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #168
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
fanoI

Unfortunately the only reliable way to tell (known to me) if T2 is rootable is to look at the dump of device flash - or to run root and see the results...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #169
fanoI
Connoisseur

Sadly in my city (and on web) I cannot found a new T1 so I was forced to take a T2 and now I'm in doubt to try or not?

If it doesn't work I'll brick my device or not?

My device says to have v. 1.04.11081 so it would be theoretically rootable, right?

To "dump the device flash" what I should do? Open the device and put a serial on some place ?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #170
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

If rooting would not work because of Sony plugging the hole - nothing will happen, your device will simply stay in pristine condition, exactly as before...

Yes, 1.0.04 is rootable in most of the cases known to me. So I do not think trying will do you any harm.
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #171
fanoI
Connoisseur

OK thanks then I'll try to root my device, I have to say that if Sony would have supported more formats I were already satisfied! Yesterday I've read some pages of an EPUB and respect to PRS-350 the difference were enormous: "paper" near white instead of grey, totally styled text (bigger size, bold, italic). I've to try yet how the browser work.

A question I've some e-book in ODT format and I don't like to convert them (Calibre is great but, at least when I tried some conversions, I've obtained any more formatted file and sometimes without style anymore!) so what I could use to read them?

It seems that neither FBreader neither Coolreader support them, right? Strange they support DOC and not an Open Format?

I've seen this app "Open Document Reader":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.reader&hl=it

It works on PRS-T1/T2?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #172
fanoI
Connoisseur

Sadly my device is a not rootable at least it seems

I hope to have done the procedure in the wrong way... I followed this guide translated by Google:

http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D23354

but nothing seems to happen

I cannot see any log file nothing it simply doesn't seem to see the hacked update as a real update (and yes it is not ) and decides to reboot instead of proceed...

So in the end 148 € bad used, really

The interesting part of the device is to root it and I cannot do this, thanks Sony

I hope in the future you found a way to f*ck this hole
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #173
rupor
meat popsicle

Your translated link points to rescue/backup procedure - not the rooting one. There is no firmware upgrade (and no log) as the result of backup/restore

I believe you could find several good descriptions of rooting procedure in this forum - in plain English, no need for Google Translate...
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #174
fanoI
Connoisseur

I've tried to use this guide first:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87

but as nothing happened I thought it was wrong so I've tried to read the originals...
http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D23354
(this should be the correct one)

but as you could imagine Google translates in a "strange" English... it seems you talk always of a girl called "Sonya"

In the end nothings happens it simply reboot... neither the rescue seems to work IMHO I don't see a drive of 1.82 GB (or MB? It's unclear) but simply the 1.36 GB called "Reader" as always
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #175
rupor
meat popsicle

Than you are probably right and you got fixed firmware... Pity.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #176
fanoI
Connoisseur

Yes a pity really and I cannot understand why they needed to fix the hole ?

What's the problem in rooting the device? Is it Google that obligated Sony to fix this? And then all the phones that easily rootable?

By the way what do you think there's the possibility to find a way to root this device with "broken" firmware or not?

Maybe if you can find a way to downgrade the firmware... all we know nothing is added in new firmwares really only "holes" fixed

If I could have found a PRS-T1...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #177
rupor
meat popsicle

There is definitely more than one way of rooting "fixed" device - after all all Android based phones have been rooted Unfortunately economy works against this - one need to spend nontrivial effort to make such root feasible for "simple" users. Size of community usually helps. According to Raymonds: "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow". There is simply not enough everything - people, interest, community to justify spending significant effort on this... I could count all developers who did something useful for the device using fingers on my hands (probably even on one hand). Not enough glory I guess - after all this is not iPhone and not even Kindle...

Currently I know of no way of breaking "fixed" firmware and I no of no efforts to change that.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #178
fanoI
Connoisseur

I'm asking a thing if I would use one of the restore package here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...15cead42eec2f9

and for example restore to fw 1.0.03.09110-EU I could jailbreak the device or the block is in hardware?

Or I could destroy the device trying to do this ?

Last edited by fanoI; 04-28-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #179
rupor
meat popsicle

You cannot do it. Plain and simple - think about it for a second. If any upgrade will work what would prevent you from rooting your device? Theoretically Sony could produce a working upgrade like you want - we however cannot (do not have Sony's private key). On non-jailbreaked device with the hole plugged you are not capable of running any upgrades we produced, period. In addition Sony never supported firmware downgrades - there is an extensive check for versions. The only way to really downgrade your firmware is to have a COMPLETE backup of flash (produced using my backup/restore method), but since your device is closed and ignores my code - you do not have this option.

Forgot to mention: if you are handy with soldering iron and know electronics - you could open your device, connect something like bus pirate or modified card reader directly to flash chip removing SMT resistors from the device main board (Sony is using the same SanDisk 2Gb SDIN5D1 chip for both T1 and T2) and jailbreak your device "directly" by overwriting either partition 1 or partition 2. Effectively this will unplug the hole in firmware. It is entirely doable and it was done before. Good luck and do not forget to post the pictures of your progress here

Last edited by rupor; 04-28-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #180
fanoI
Connoisseur

Sadly I have not soldering ability

I'll wait to see if something positive happens for "fixed" (or broken by our point of view) devices... I suppose more and more people will buy PRS-T2 and then a solution will be found or Sony will realese PRS-T3 (or what they would like to call it) already fixed if they're not stupid and then there will be more incentives to found a solution that maybe would be valid for PRS-T2, too...