Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Byrd
Grateful User
Byrd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Conversion to .mobi problem

So occasionally when I convert a book to mobi format for my kindle, regardless of it's original format, it will come out converted into paragraphs of two lines. There will be no other line formatting e.g. for characters talking.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, or the question has already been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't think of how to phrase my problem for a search.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
You might try checking 'Remove Spacing between paragraphs', under preferences and common options.

What version of Calibre are you running? I remember having the same problem and changing something about line width to correct it, but couldn't find it in preferences in 08.14.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Byrd
Grateful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
You might try checking 'Remove Spacing between paragraphs', under preferences and common options.

What version of Calibre are you running? I remember having the same problem and changing something about line width to correct it, but couldn't find it in preferences in 08.14.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently running the latest and greatest of 0.8.15, and unfortunately, the remove spacing option still leaves me with paragraphs, simply minus the spaces, which is a bit hard to read.

I have a line size option, currently at "0.5em". Does that sound like the missing option?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Byrd
Grateful User

I've spent some time messing around with conversion options, and on a whim I turned on heuristic processing, which appears to have corrected the problem. Thank you very much for the help though RolandD.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
So occasionally when I convert a book to mobi format for my kindle, regardless of it's original format, it will come out converted into paragraphs of two lines. There will be no other line formatting e.g. for characters talking.
This is really a case of garbage in garbage out. Its original format might vary but the underlining code converts as it exists in the book.

Quote:
I've spent some time messing around with conversion options, and on a whim I turned on heuristic processing, which appears to have corrected the problem. Thank you very much for the help though RolandD.
I'm glad you found the Heuristic processing area. Unwrap lines at .4 or .45 is usually the way to deal with this variety of input.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently running the latest and greatest of 0.8.15, and unfortunately, the remove spacing option still leaves me with paragraphs, simply minus the spaces, which is a bit hard to read.

I have a line size option, currently at "0.5em". Does that sound like the missing option?
Line size controls space between ALL lines.
Margin-top and Margin Bottom, control space around the paragraph (paragraphs are bricks, Margins are mortar). Not all paragraphs have visible text , you can only tell this by looking at the code: <p class="whatever">&nbsp;</p>
is an empty paragraph and uses space
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote