Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
installing 2.5.2(?), can't log into Kobo.com

Tonight I decided I'd try to update the Kobo after the factory reset while on vacation. It installed version 2.5.2 (I think it's .2), not the version I had installed the night before I went on vacation anyway. It got through the installation of the firmware, but I could not get the desktop software nor the wifi set up through the reader to get past the account log in screen. My username and password were correct, I could log into the store through the desktop, but I could not get it past that screen to complete the set up. This, of course, rendered my reader useless. My reader stalled the first time on "Please Wait" with the spinning flower, after paperclip resetting it told me "Network error", despite my connection being fine. The desktop screen just kept defaulting to the log in screen. I finally had to do a Home/Power button reset back to my original 9.12 firmware.

Who's bright idea at Kobo was it to make set up mandatory so you can't use your reader until it's set up? STUPID!

Is there an issue tonight? Does this often happen with Kobo updates? I am really frustrated, I want to throw it against a wall.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Not to be a nudge, but how long did it stall for? Updates can take a looooooong while to install, especially when you're staring at it and worried it won't complete...(been there, done that) The good news is you're back to stock and functioning. Why not go to the firmware thread and just download the latest for your model and skip all the baloney?

I have a Touch, model N905B(look on the end of the device to the right of the USB port), and the 2.8.1 firmware dated 7-15-13 that I sideloaded onto it works just fine on it. You still keep the 5 books on the home screen rather than the new tiles interface. Frankly, I'm not sure that is a disadvantage.

If you're really unable to log in, there is a thread floating around that tells you how to "game" the database so it doesn't require you to register online. Others indicate it works.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not being a nudge at all. I was stuck on the "Please Wait" for 6 minutes before I reset the device with a paper clip. I was trying to log into my Kobo account through the wifi set up on the Kobo itself as it wouldn't let me get past the "Please log into your account" on the desktop. I assumed it was hung trying to access the account as I had been trying 5 times through the desktop to access my account.

My Kobo is a N905 (no letter).

Thanks for the reply!

Update 1:
trying again this morning, I can always roll back to the original firmware again. I thought about going back and reinstalling that last version that worked for me - as you sort of suggested - but I am unsure how to get around the desktop plugin requirement.

Update 2:
it got past the log in screen on the desktop and is syncing my free Kobo books. It's weird that the "sideloaded" books I put on the device itself are still there, I thought the whole Kobo HD would be wiped.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 09-01-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
VirgoGirl

Well, it's loading content onto my Kobo, according to the desktop sync. I guess Kobo servers stop working after 6pm. :s