Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Colored e-ink screens.

Do you guys think this is where the big ereader manufacturers are going next?

China is ready to release one in May (i think) and it looks amazing. I would love a colored ereader where i could read comic books and books without the eye strain of a LCD monitor.

Link to the colored ereader
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I still think the technology is a little way off, but I don't think it will be really pushed on the 6" market. That size people have an ereader mainly for reading novels (which as we know comes in black and white).

What really surprises me is why hasn't there been any development in reflective LCD?? Some people rave about their Jetbooks (5" B&W), and given LCD is already colour capable....next step I think is make it non-back lit.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTwo View Post
Do you guys think this is where the big ereader manufacturers are going next?
The contrast of current black and white E-Ink screens is a bit low. Adding colour through a colour filter over the screen is only going to make the contrast work.

I don't see the E-Ink technology being suitable for colour screen in any big way, unless they have a big breakthrough in contrast and speed.

Mirasol is looking increasingly interesting, although I'm beginning to doubt that we'll see it in a commercial ereader in 2011. I hope that I'm wrong.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I still think the technology is a little way off, but I don't think it will be really pushed on the 6" market. That size people have an ereader mainly for reading novels (which as we know comes in black and white).

What really surprises me is why hasn't there been any development in reflective LCD?? Some people rave about their Jetbooks (5" B&W), and given LCD is already colour capable....next step I think is make it non-back lit.
They heard you!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
While waiting for the colored eink screens, you could relax here.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The contrast of current black and white E-Ink screens is a bit low. Adding colour through a colour filter over the screen is only going to make the contrast work.
The pearl e-ink screens are miles ahead of the previous generation. See photo here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
While waiting for the colored eink screens, you could relax here.
That's not going to take me to zombocom, is it?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote