Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Do many writers have Ebook Readers?

Or do you just make the most of the changing times and sell for the current market? I have my book available in both paperback and ebooks to try and cater for all, but I don't own a kindle or ebook personally. I have downloaded to my pc though.
Abigail Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I would say I'm mostly done with printed books. After a few months of reading on my Kindle, paper reading seems a bit archaic. I'm aware of the infrastructure required to support my Kindle, and so it is very important to work to make sure this infrastructure continues to exist for quite some time.

I think a lot of people still publish in both formats since it is still easy to do so, and not all readers have an ereader. Once everyone has their free disposable ereader, the flame of knowledge will burn brighter than ever before.

Printed books on paper, even hemp paper will be an anomaly, reserved for specialty books i.e. coffee table books about coffee tables.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I still read some paperbacks, and still sell some, but I mostly read ebooks, and I definitely mostly sell ebooks.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I have an ereader and have only published my books as ebooks so far. When I figure I've written something that's worth it, I'll try Create Space.

On the subject of print books, Borders (the biggest book chain in Australia) has just folded, citing ebooks as what took their market share.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think that ebooks are becoming more of a presence now days but that it will be a while yet before pbooks go the way of the scroll and clay tablet. Human beings are slow to change a lot of the time and the paper book is something that has existed for a good 500 yrs or better, which is about how long most people have been able to read. Ebooks are more convenient in some ways but it will be awhile yet before pbooks become antiques I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I am currently working on developing a website for 8 local authors to sell their current books as eBooks. They intend to leave the sales of their paper books with their publishers and sell the eBooks themselves through their own site. None of them have ereader but they can see the benefit of offering books in this format.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
I have an ereader and have only published my books as ebooks so far. When I figure I've written something that's worth it, I'll try Create Space.
I planned the same thing, Luke. But strangely, for a country which is so computerised, Sweden is lagging behind when it comes to ebooks, so I actually got my CreateSpace copy out before the ebook versions.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
We first published my husband's book in paperback, and then as an ebook. The main reason why I purchased a Kindle was to make sure his book looks okay on it. Well, now I'm hooked on e-reading! I don't think I'll go back to paper books, except for certain reference material.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
I think you'll not be getting exactly the answers you are looking for because the question's a bit unclear.

I get the impression you wanted to ask "do many writers have an ereader".

Generally, ebooks are the files, the individual books, not the devices to read them.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Thank you Anke.. Just shows how clued up I am doesn't it? You learn something new every day.

So do you all have an ereader?
Abigail Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail Lawrence View Post
So do you all have an ereader?
Yep, that's what MobileRead is all about - ebooks.

I've totally switched to ebooks and will never buy a paper book again; with the exception of some huge coffee table books full of pictures.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've changed the thread title to "Do many writers have Ebook Readers?"
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a Kindle. My wife is thinking of getting a Nook. We thought if we're each going to get an ereader, might as well each try something different.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Kindle for PC and loving it. I've got a netbook, so I don't see any reason to have a dedicated ereader. But I love the ease of reading ebooks. I especially love the extra functionality I get from reading on my computer. Word I don't know, fact I want to check, cool turn of phrase I want to remember, it's all so easy to deal with online.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
Kindle for PC and loving it. I've got a netbook, so I don't see any reason to have a dedicated ereader. But I love the ease of reading ebooks. I especially love the extra functionality I get from reading on my computer. Word I don't know, fact I want to check, cool turn of phrase I want to remember, it's all so easy to deal with online.
Netbook

I love my netbook. It's far more functional than a tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote