Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Using Non 650 Cover for 650

An OP removed the spine from a Sony 300 cover,added double side tape, and now uses it for a 360. I would like to use a non-Sony 650 cover with my 650.
Do you have a 650[or get one in the next week or so] AND have another reader cover [Kindle, Nook, Sony 600,etc.]?

If so will you look to see if your non-650 cover might fit the 650 with minor modification. If the cover is a bit bigger than 650 that's OK.

If you post your finding, I can purchased a 3rd party[non-Sony cover] to use with my 650. There are listings on the web offering non-oem covers for various Kindle, Nook etc.models very inexpensively.

THANKS
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I use the M-Edge for the 505 on my 600. I have concerns about how well it will fit the 650 given both the thickness and the smaller size.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
What's the difference in specs between the 600 and the 650? I'm currently using a Nook cover for my 600, and other than that the Sony is a tad shorter than the Nook is, and therefore there is room left in the cover at the top, it works great.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
iptech
iptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-600
The mounting spline on the cover I've used on both my PRS-505 and PRS-600 broke some while ago and was superglued onto to the cover. Now I've moved on to the PRS-650 I've removed the spline, trimmed-off the mounting lug and shortened it by a few millimetres and re-glued it so it now fit the spine on the PRS-650.

As of yesterday, my local Sony store have yet to get stocks of the official Sony cover for the new readers, I also phone 'i-nique', the manufacturers of the Tuff-Luv cases and they advise it will probably be a month before they have covers available for the new readers, so this will do for the time being.

Phone camera pictures, so quality is a bit blury and yes I know was a bit messy with the glue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0133.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	759.0 KB
ID:	58668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0134.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	58669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	58670  
iptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
What's the difference in specs between the 600 and the 650? I'm currently using a Nook cover for my 600, and other than that the Sony is a tad shorter than the Nook is, and therefore there is room left in the cover at the top, it works great.
An OP reported that the 600 was 4.80" x 6.90"
The 650 was 4.75" x 6.625"

There are 3rd party covers that are targeted at Nook on Ebay. I'll take a second look.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I received my cover yesterday afternoon. I ordered an Oberon cover for the Sony PRS600. I was worried it would be too big but it fits great.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Joshseadog
Enthusiast
Joshseadog doesn't litterJoshseadog doesn't litter

Hi Yakuzaboss, Just to clarify the Oberon 600 cover will fit the 650 perfectly. If so I think I may just pull the trigger on one.
Joshseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Is it just me? I cannot see any sony covers on the Oberon site!

Edited: Ahh.. just found their post from 05/05/2010 - discontinued for Sony
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshseadog View Post
Hi Yakuzaboss, Just to clarify the Oberon 600 cover will fit the 650 perfectly. If so I think I may just pull the trigger on one.
I'm using Velcro as opposed to the corner straps. The 650 will definitely be loose inside the straps. That's why I opted for the Velcro. To me it looks alot 'cleaner' in the cover. Some people might not like the idea of sticking Velcro to the back of their reader but I found a simple way around that. I applied electrical tape on the back of the 650 and then put the Velcro on the tape. The tape will come off easy and clean if I ever want to change covers or any other reason.

Another member posted pics of their 650 in an Oberon small journal cover using Velcro. From the pics, looks like a nice fit. With the 600 cover, there will be a space of about 1/4 inches around the reader. That I don't mind as it acts like a bumper if I ever drop it.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
good2day
good2day began at the beginning.

I've been using the the Tuff-Luv (flip style) cover (originally purchased for my PRS-600) with the new PRS-650.

When the PRS-650 is inserted into the Tuff-Luv (flip style) cover, the - vol control is very slightly hidden, but you can still access and use the vol control.
good2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Is it possible to use sony official prs600 cover on prs650. Bestbuy is having them on sale for $9.99 and they look very good.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by good2day View Post
I've been using the the Tuff-Luv (flip style) cover (originally purchased for my PRS-600) with the new PRS-650.

When the PRS-650 is inserted into the Tuff-Luv (flip style) cover, the - vol control is very slightly hidden, but you can still access and use the vol control.
Ditto, it's quite perfect actually...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
mrdee0
mrdee0 began at the beginning.

Device: mrdee0
Same here tuff-luv fits 950 fine...
mrdee0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
Is it possible to use sony official prs600 cover on prs650. Bestbuy is having them on sale for $9.99 and they look very good.
The 600 is taller than the 650 which means the clip Sony uses to hold the Reader inside the case is too long to accomodate the 650.

You could cut the clip then shorten so the 650 would fit.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #15
iptech
iptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
The 600 is taller than the 650 which means the clip Sony uses to hold the Reader inside the case is too long to accomodate the 650.

You could cut the clip then shorten so the 650 would fit.
This is what I did (see my post above) and it worked fine, but I've now bought the official Sony cover because it's easier to slip in to my jacket pocket.
iptech is offline   Reply With Quote