Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
gardefjord
Enthusiast
gardefjord began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Nook, Bookeen, Sony Reader
Export to ePub from InDesign CS5

Hello everybody, I watched this tutorial and downloaded a trial for ID 5, can't seem to make it work, I don't get any ToC in my ePub-file.
Everything gets divided into ten smaller xhtml files but not at the paragraph-style I choose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS6mZ...layer_embedded
gardefjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
InDesign will split the file when it encounters a heading style that's been assigned to Level 1 in the generated ToC. Other levels in the ToC will be ignored.

The generated ToC used to govern the file-splitting won't show up in the ePub, if you want a ToC in the actual ePub rather than using the one generated by the ebook reader, then you'd need to create one yourself using links and anchors.

If you attach an epub that you'd made it would be easier to see what's going wrong.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Ptooey.

Couldn't help but notice:

The 'Embed Fonts' checky-boxy-thingy wasn't in the export dialog as in cs4, and the guy said "don't worry about fonts, as it will always defer to the default fonts on the device." So unless it's hidden in some preference, font embedding doesn't seem to happen in cs5.

Metadata was being entered through i-tunes. CS4 wasn't great on metadata either, but he didn't even broach using cs5 to do that or the cover image.

Miles to go before calibre has anything to worry about.....

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
So unless it's hidden in some preference, font embedding doesn't seem to happen in cs5.
It does.

This video purposely glosses over the subject of embedding fonts since it's aimed at making epubs for the ipad.

Quote:
Metadata was being entered through i-tunes. CS4 wasn't great on metadata either, but he didn't even broach using cs5 to do that or the cover image.
As might be obvious from the 'book' he's producing in the video, it is aimed at small-time content creators (the type who might want to cash in with an 'iPad Tips' book that tells the user how to turn the machine on...). InDesign lifts the bulk of the metadata straight from that specified for the document itself, and is reasonably comprehensive in filling in fields like rights, description, location, coverage etc, as long as those have been entered correctly.

Quote:
Miles to go before calibre has anything to worry about.....
Why would a database program have to worry about InDesign? Anyone using calibre to create epubs is just making life hard for themselves.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
So, no font embedding on the ipad?

charleski: Do you have cs5? (I don't so my opnions may not matter too much...)

What would cheer me up on Adobe is to have hyperlinks retained on the placed word doc.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
So, no font embedding on the ipad?

charleski: Do you have cs5? (I don't so my opnions may not matter too much...)

What would cheer me up on Adobe is to have hyperlinks retained on the placed word doc.

-bjc
iBooks does not support font embedding. So if you were to embed fonts, iBooks would ignore that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
gardefjord
Enthusiast

If you don't have InDesign, go download a trial version.
I've figured out what was wrong, had pages which was on "odd pages" and "even pages", this obviously dosen't work. But this thread sure seams to becoming interesting
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
rdopfel
rdopfel began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi charleski and others, i do hope that you are able to help me.
you said this which is exactly what i am attempting -successful but inconsistent and i do not understand what i am actually doing.

"The generated ToC used to govern the file-splitting won't show up in the ePub, if you want a ToC in the actual ePub rather than using the one generated by the ebook reader, then you'd need to create one yourself using links and anchors."

i've been self-learning indesign cs5 with the free trial using tutorials, podcasts, forums such as this - made much progress but the TOC is a real problem - i will not admit how many days and hours i've already tried to sort it all out. Your quote above - just the way you describe what you do - lead me to post.
although the below now seems to work, if you don't mind reading thru you will see that I feel that I need to understand what is happening.

new > book
add each chapter [chapter1, chapter2 etc.]
select chapter1 > assign paragraph style 'chaptertitle'
select hyperlink > text anchor > chapter1
-repeat these steps in each chapter.

result [what i think ] each chapter uses it's 'chaptertitle' as the anchor - or place that one would jump to from the navigation panel on an ebook device.

My method cont.
new > doc > name it tocchapters
'place' table of contents
[this is a document of the actual table of contents from the print version]
select chapter1 (the text in this tocchapter document
> assign paragraphstyle 'chaptertitle'
click hyperlinks > click on the icon of the anchor > navigate to the correct .indd file
> select chapter1 > select the anchor from drop down

repeat this for each chapter (each separate .indd chapter document) in the table of contents.
add this .indd to the book using the + sign.

make certain 'tocchapters.indd' is selected
layout > table of contents
toc style says default (it is only when i click save file that i can name it so at this point it is default)
title contents
(where or why does this show up ? what does it mean ? i leave it.)
include paragraph style 'chaptertitle'
my options:
- no page #s (it's and ebook)
check create pdf bookmarks
deselect replace existing toc
check include book documents

click save toc style button > name it bookchaptertoc

when i export it as an epub
table of contents:
check inculde indesign TOC entries

tocstyle bookchaptertoc
check suppress autoentries for documents

this is NOW working in the adobe digital reader.
i can click each chapter name and it jumps to the chapter.
BUT the page that is the actual Table of Contents in the ebook only shows up when i scroll past the bookcover
AND
chapter one is a blue link
why ?

Questions.
Is my method efficient ?
Will this work on sonyreaders, ipads, smartphones, kindles ?

This is a bit long but if anyone wants to clear me up on the below it would be great.

1. Why do some of the tutorials do something where they end up 'floating text' into the toc. I do not understand how this works - technically.
This was happening to me - i would see the little piece of text attached to the pointer and until i figured out that i had to click outside of all of the text frames more than 1x to get rid of it - i was getting duplicate copies of chapter names - or so i think that was why.

2. Also i ran into this - if you can follow and let me know how I should have reversed it. I totally corrupted more than one of the tocs that i had working.
the result in the navigation panel of adobe digital reader brought in all of the 'footnotes' to the toc in the adobe digital reader navigation panel.
I think it happened when i tried to 'load' to the toc to another trialbook and i all of the boxes checked [basic paragraph style1 chapterheadings, footnotes etc. etc)

3. The other major problem was that I would get 2 instances of the chapter names in the navigation panel. Some suggested that I make certain that i deselect 'replace existing toc' and i did this and it worked but somehow i did something and started getting 2 instances again.
It is the 2nd instance of each title that actually works as a link to each chapter.

Thanks for the help. My book has 8 chapters with footnotes some of which are hyperlinks to websites and they all import well into indesign doc.
rdopfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
charleski
Wizard

It would be a lot easier to work out what your problems are if you create some sample documents that show the issues you're having.

One thing I did forget to mention is that InDesign CS5 has a known bug with internal links when 'Include InDesign ToC Entries' is ticked, as it fails to include the correct filename along with the name of the anchor. If your book uses a lot of links in the text (e.g. for footnotes or an index), then it's a better idea to export without the InDesign-generated ncx ToC and edit the output with either Sigil (convert paragraphs with the relevant heading styles to <h1> etc tags) or Calibre (use epub-to-epub conversion and insert an XPath expression that will pick up the styles used in your chapter headings).

But if the only hyperlinks are on the ToC page then it's easy to edit that manually and enter the required filenames to go with the anchors.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
rdopfel
rdopfel began at the beginning.

Question table of contents - indesigncs5 2x entries etc. etc.

Hi Charleski and others. Thank you Charles for responding.
Okay - I think i have fixed my problem with the toc.

I tried a bunch of stuff basically deleting every instance of every paragraph style, searching every file for any created toc syles, deleting part3 which would just stopped showing up on the nav panel in adobe digitial editions....
A kind fella named Marcus on an adobe forum looked at the files.
He fixed it using dreamweaver and going into the css. Haven't used dreamweaver in years but I did love it to make webpages !!

But i want to complete this task myself - if possible so I went back at it.

I ended up uninstalling the indesigncs5 and checked the box for preferences - just an instinct.
i reinstalled and now i can get the chapter to show up in the nav panel

Not certain how this will continue since i have many.

My question has to do with the glich you mentioned. I've invested so much time using indesign (learning it) I do have footnotes and they work fine in adobe digital editions.

Why might this be a problem ?

thanks again for responding.
regina
rdopfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
charleski
Wizard

Footnotes and other internal links will work fine as long as you don't rely on InDesign to generate the overall ToC, i.e. keep 'Include InDesign ToC Entries' unchecked. You will then need to generate the ncx ToC yourself in either Sigil or Calibre.

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...-links-in.html
Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

My problem is about images. InDesign CS5 changes the image resolution to 72 ppi during the EPUB export. It also renames all the image files. In CS3 and CS4 versions there used to be option to keep the image as original so InDesign wouldn't do anything for the images. In CS5 this option is gone and I really miss it. I used to edit all my images in PhotoShop and didn't let InDesign to mess up my images. Anyone else missing the setting for keeping the images as originals? Any idea is Adobe bringing this option back?

Here's a good article about InDesign CS5 editing the photos: http://carijansen.com/2010/09/13/image-quality-and-epub/

Last edited by Chang; 11-02-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
gardefjord
Enthusiast

I do think you can keep the originals, posting a screenshot here, though my CS5 is in swedish I'll hope you understand where to put your settings. It's in the "export for ePub" window.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #14
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

That's weird Howcome you have that option but I don't have? At first, I thought it's because I didn't have the latest InDesign version but after updating InDesign to the latest version, nothing changed in the settings menu. I added screenshot of my settings menu in attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub_export_image.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	60838  
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
charleski
Wizard

Yes, that's the way the export filter looks on English CS5. This option was present in the CS4 filter, but not any more. Strange that it's still present in the Swedish version.

The best option is to swap the images out for optimised versions once the epub is exported. The alternative would be to fake it out by making sure all images are specified as 72ppi (with no resampling) in Photoshop and leaving the Formatted box unchecked.