Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
More Rex Stout at Fictionwise (and Amazon)

Heads up for Rex Stout fans -- More new releases of Nero Wolfe ebooks, at better prices than previously so I picked them all up tonight.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a4607/Rex-Stout/?
15% Discount Micropay Rebate 35% for new releases brings the cost down quite a bit, and if you are a Club Member it's even better.

Pre-Order only, available June 9, 2010:
Prisoner's Base $6.79
The Doorbell Rang $6.79
Three at Wolfe's Door $6.69
Three Doors to Death $5.53
Three Witnesses $5.94

The Golden Spiders $5.53 available NOW

Although the message in the cart says that the rebate only applies for Paypal/Credit Card payment, I got all the rebates using Micropay money. The formats are a mixture of Secure ereader and Secure Adobe epub, and sorry to international forum members -- I cannot determine if these are available outside the USA.

(Can anyone tell that I'm a rabid Rex Stout fan?)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-08-2010 at 08:19 AM.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Oh goodie. I didn't want to pay $16 or whatever for the earlier offerings, but I don't mind paying mass marketish prices for the novella collections. They seem like a good place to start. Shorter always is.

This is one of those series I've been meaning to try. For a while, it was so annoying to find that most bookstores only carried the post-Stout sequels rather than reprints of the originals.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Hi Critteranne ~ I find the language delightful in Rex Stout's books, so although some of the plots are better than others I have never been disappointed with any of the stories. I have read most of the books, listened to the audio versions of many, and watched all the TV shows starring Timothy Hutton. My favourite way of enjoying the books has been reading, hence my (re) collection of the books in digital format (but as you have remarked, only at discounted paperback prices - those $18 versions will remain unbought).

Trivia: If you are into audiobooks, the Michael Pritchard narrations of the Nero Wolfe stories are IMO only "okay" but if you can get hold of earlier narrations by Saul Rubinek (I had them on cassette many years ago) then those are superb. Saul Rubinek plays Lon Cohen in the TV series, seen only occasionally in a poker game with Archie.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
These are also available in Kindle editions too - prices are varying with each batch of titles.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I was glad when the more recent books have had lower prices. I have bought and read all the ones released so far (reading Golden Spiders now) and they are great books. The OCR job Random House did on these is pretty spotty. They even misspell Stout's name in Golden Spiders, but it hasn't ruined the enjoyment though I wish Random House had done a better proofread of the books.

They will sometimes include images of letters or articles Stout wrote as bonus material at the back of the book and in some cases the images are too small to read. I was wondering if this is because I bought the ereader formatted version. Would the images look better if I bought these in epub format?
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I was glad when the more recent books have had lower prices. I have bought and read all the ones released so far (reading Golden Spiders now) and they are great books. The OCR job Random House did on these is pretty spotty. They even misspell Stout's name in Golden Spiders, but it hasn't ruined the enjoyment though I wish Random House had done a better proofread of the books.

They will sometimes include images of letters or articles Stout wrote as bonus material at the back of the book and in some cases the images are too small to read. I was wondering if this is because I bought the ereader formatted version. Would the images look better if I bought these in epub format?
This was a problem in the pbooks themselves - these letters, etc. were added to the Bantam paperback editions and often had unreadable small print on paper, as scanned images of full size letters were shrunk to fit a mass market paperback page.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This was a problem in the pbooks themselves - these letters, etc. were added to the Bantam paperback editions and often had unreadable small print on paper, as scanned images of full size letters were shrunk to fit a mass market paperback page.
Ah. That explains it then. No biggie since those are just there as a bonus.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Thanks for this. I pre-ordered three Rex Stout titles and took the bait for additional micro-pay.

What will it take for the re-release of Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason at a realistic price point? They are totally delightful reads: but forget the $10 price point; half that, at best; or bundle them up in twofers at $7.99 or $8.99. I can dream, I suppose.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote