Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Eratosthenes
Eratosthenes began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
DIY Scanner

Did anyone catch up with this one that I found on http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab
gotta get me one of these.....

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 04-12-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: html mess
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
That link isn't working - I can't find anything that looks like your picture. Can you find the original link? It does look interesting...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
pholy,
This works for me:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...-book-scanner/
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
Eratosthenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
That link isn't working - I can't find anything that looks like your picture. Can you find the original link? It does look interesting...
Mr Squash got it right...I had too many .coms....lol...sorry about leading you astray there...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Eratosthenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
Thanks for the assist....btw is that Mr Squash or MRS quash....sorry if I was wrong before.....
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Hi, Eratosthenes,
The "mr" is actually short for mobileread. I use the base "squash", slightly modified, on several other boards. Makes it easier to remember who I am. I should have signed up as mr_squash here, since I am male, but the gender bending eluded me at the time.

And thanks for pointing out the DIY scanner article. I've got an old camera I'm thinking about trying this out with once I get the frame materials. Knowing me, though, I'll never get around to it.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you have kids, you can build the same thing out of Lego bricks quite easily --- that's what I did.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It would be terrifically sweet if somebody could integrate an automatic page turner in there.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Looks like a good idea - now where's the kid's old meccano ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If you have kids, you can build the same thing out of Lego bricks quite easily --- that's what I did. William
I'd like to see a picture of it.
Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60

One obvious draw back is that it's not one size fits all book formats...

Quote:
This method uses a rectangular frame to press the open book flat without putting glossy, reflective glass over the top.

Last edited by Fith; 04-13-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fith View Post

One obvious draw back is that it's not one size fits all book formats...
True, but with a judicious use of different sets of legs with appropriate lengths (for most books you might just need three sets - in fact make three frames) you can accomodate HC/Trade, Coffee-table, and MMPB - especially if the digicam you're using allows zooming while in macro mode.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
Or just make the horizontal bars adjustable? They would hold the page down top and bottom. The vertical bars probably wouldn't help much on say a new MMPB that doesn't want to lay flat anyway.

Last edited by Fith; 04-14-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
Did anyone catch up with this one that I found on http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab
gotta get me one of these.....
Goes quite well with my hands-free cell phone adapter.
http://ilovebubbadogs.com/bubbapress...hands-free.jpg
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Eratosthenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Goes quite well with my hands-free cell phone adapter.
http://ilovebubbadogs.com/bubbapress...hands-free.jpg
Just imagine the old fashioned English Policeman walking up to this guy with the introductory line "'allo, allo, allo...what's going on ear then"