Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
tuncaysu
tuncaysu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-900)
automatic lrf for news fetching?

hi, first hats off to the developer and the contributors.

i have a sony prs-900, and when i fetch the rss of a turkish blog or a site, using "fetch news", some of the turkish characters (strangely not all of them: just ş, ğ and İ) appear as ? when I upload it in ePub format. i don't know the technical reason but in the LRF format everything is fine.

question 1: is there a way to fetch the news always in LRF?
question 2: what are possible solutions to the character problem? as i said, some characters such as ç, ı are fine, only ş, ğ and İ don't work.

thanks
tuncaysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
tuncaysu
tuncaysu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-900)
hi folks,

using the forum i figured out a way to correctly render the characters in epub by specifying extra css with a new font (in the look & feel preferences).

however, i need to first get the news via fetching, and then create an epub out of the existing epub. is there a way to make the news fetching use the settings in look & feel?

thanks!
tuncaysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaysu View Post
hi folks,

using the forum i figured out a way to correctly render the characters in epub by specifying extra css with a new font (in the look & feel preferences).

however, i need to first get the news via fetching, and then create an epub out of the existing epub. is there a way to make the news fetching use the settings in look & feel?

thanks!
You can use the command-line tool instead. I do this to add boldface css to news I downloand.
If you are using a windows machine, you can create a .bat file whose content is something like this (I've copied from one I use, you need to change the locations and such and put your css into a file; you also need to change ".epub" to ".lrf" and you probably should use instead an actual file name, like "C:\My Documents\Mine.lfr"):

"C:\Program Files\Calibre\ebook-convert.exe" "The Economist (free).recipe" ".epub" --extra-css="C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\My Documents\My Dropbox\ArialBold.css"

If you want automatic download, you can use Window's task scheduler to run this file daily.
I then just add this to my ereader manually. I think you could use the command line interface to add it to the Calibre library and have Calibre do the transfer to the ereader, but I don't know how.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote