Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
calibre: most desired feature, pony up for Kovid

Alright, calibre lovers. It's time to get together to talk about the one or two features you would like to see implemented in a near release of calibre. Kovid has spent many hours developing, troubleshooting, and documenting our favorite Reader program so I am proposing that we give back and sponsor him to develop the feature(s) the forum wants most.

Here's how this would work:

1. We would use this thread to make suggestions on features we would like to see in calibre.

2. After a week or so, we set up a poll for the final contenders.

3.[*]2ePub - converting various formats to ePub

3. Kovid will quote out what kind of effort it will take to implement the feature(s)

4. We all contribute what we can and when Kovid has the necessary amount, he puts it together for us.

Please take into consideration how much time and effort this software has saved you. How much is this wonderful app worth to you? Well put your money where your mouth is!

Tell us what features you want in calibre and let's get this started!

My desired features:

1. A iTunes-like sync system for automatically pulling down subscriptions to websites and putting them on the Reader.

2. Porting calibre over to MySQL so I can connect to databases I host in the cloud.

What about you?

Last edited by astrodad; 06-03-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added ebpub conversion
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'd like to see the "full feed conversion" placed in some sort of rather neutral format (lit or something) that can easily be changed into other formats short of having many format options. When I was using the Sony Reader I found these tools great, but now that I'm using a Kindle it's a non-option.

But really I'd just love to see something that changes partial feeds into full articles and makes them available on the Kindle.. if I have to do a small amount of work per feed I'm okay with that, but the trick seems to be having more time to read than to work to read it.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A general, export to MOBI (Kindle) capability would be my 1st choice. It would make Calibre a general purpose e-book library manager.

I think there is a significant demand for a vendor neutral conversion and management capability. It was interesting how much more buzz the Stanza Beta generated because it could convert to MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm happy with it now
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@wallcraft: I thought about html2lmobi, but the problem with MOBI is that it is a technically inferior format that is going to be superseded soon. So while calibre supports conversion *from* mobi I'm reluctant to add support for conversion *to* mobi.

I expect the next generation of e-book readers to support epub, (except for the Kindle, because Amazon is on its own trip), so I'd much rather code html2epub.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
So while calibre supports conversion *from* mobi I'm reluctant to add support for conversion *to* mobi.

I expect the next generation of e-book readers to support epub, (except for the Kindle, because Amazon is on its own trip), so I'd much rather code html2epub.
One approach would be to standardize on ePub as the archive format. Then there would be X2epub importers and epub2Y exporters, but no explicit X2Y converters. For a comprehensive package there would need to be an epub2mobi, but this would be just one of several "reader" formats. I also like the idea, originally discussed on teleread, for an epub2web converter, where "web" is the (exploded) epub plus additional html files to allow the ebook to be read by a standard web browser.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There were (read past tense) a few features I wanted in calibre, I opened a ticket on Kovid's web site, and now they are part of calibre. He is very responsive to user input and feedback.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@wallcraft
I agree, standardizing on epub is a good idea. X2epub is easy once you have html2epub, creating epub2Y basically means creating html2Y. Let's see, if there's enough demand for MOBI as a target format, I'll consider doing it.

@RWood
I think this thread is about "large" features that I wouldn't normally take on (my primary motivator for adding features is still that they are useful to me) but that enough people want to see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #9
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
@kovid
I think the new name is a golden opportunity to reposition your program as a general purpose toolbox for ebook lovers. ePub seems to be a promising/most powerful format and it could very well serve as the hub. As far as mobi concerns, I don't like it either despite that I own a Kindle. It's support for CSS is just pathetic. I think as long as you leave enough apis, kindle users can always code their plugins/converters if you don't like to do it.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@wallcraft: I thought about html2lmobi, but the problem with MOBI is that it is a technically inferior format that is going to be superseded soon.
Are you referring to ePub?

I think that it's going to be a number of years before MobiPocket format is (IF it is) superceded by ePub, especially since (as I understand it) there is currently no agreement of how ePub will implement DRM (which, while some may not like it, is vital from a the viewpoint of many publishers).

We already, of course, have a number of excellent tools available for converting HTML to Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Digital Editions 1.5 has support for DRMed ePub, even though no real books are available yet. I assume that's probably what will be used in Sony's implementation.
Code:
<label key="migrateLogAdeEbxEpubOk">ADE EBX ePUB imported:</label>
<label key="migrateLogAdeEbxEpubBad">ADE EBX ePUB failed to import:</label>
<label key="migrateLogEbxEpubConvOk">EBX ePub converted to new License:</label>
<label key="migrateLogEbxEpubConvBad">EBX ePub failed to convert to new License:</label>
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But there are a heck of a lot of other Mobi platforms out there, and dozens of Mobi bookstores. It's going to be a long time before Mobi disappears - if it ever does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Hi,
im a happy user of calibre: really great product!
Only worried about my growing library (>2000 ebooks) and so calibre on mac os x going slow when i ask something on the library (sorting or filtering or renaming). Could be a useful feature having more than one library (maybe selecting name and destination)?
Otherwise i will continue to swap file for library in order to make some quick conversion, when i dont want to wait minutes to calibre to open the big library.
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I would like to see Calibre support exporting to the mobi format or configurable on whether you want mobi, epub or lrf for whatever action you are taking. I would love to have the news sources in mobi format.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But there are a heck of a lot of other Mobi platforms out there, and dozens of Mobi bookstores. It's going to be a long time before Mobi disappears - if it ever does.
But there are only two DRM providers for Mobi. Remember last year's August?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote