Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre 0.9.0 ? Where is new modern look?

I just installed 0.8.0 on my windows 7 machine, anticipating a new modern look. But it is the same old look. The version is 0.9.0, so I am confused. Was the new calibre pulled back at the last minute? Where is it?
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There are 2 choices for 'look', under Prefs - Look&Feel - User Interface style. Try both to see which you like best.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Plus, you might have already turned it on in 0.8.xx. Many of the current improvements listed for 0.9.0 were already rolled out. I think the point is that they've been in use enough to be stable.

I had to take a second look at that bullet point, then remember it was something I turned on awhile ago.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Breed92014
Enthusiast

I still don't see it

Under preferences-->look and feel, I see 2 choices under "user interface style". One is "System default" and the other is "calibre style". I switch back and forth between these two, allow it to restart, but do not see a difference between the two.

Neither style looks like the sample screenshots. For example, the sample screenshot shows every other book listed with a grey background or a white background. My version of the software just has all books listed with a white background.

Also the book viewer has a night mode. I cannot figure out how to get that night mode in my book viewer.

Help, please!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed92014 View Post
Under preferences-->look and feel, I see 2 choices under "user interface style". One is "System default" and the other is "calibre style". I switch back and forth between these two, allow it to restart, but do not see a difference between the two.

Neither style looks like the sample screenshots. For example, the sample screenshot shows every other book listed with a grey background or a white background. My version of the software just has all books listed with a white background.

Also the book viewer has a night mode. I cannot figure out how to get that night mode in my book viewer.

Help, please!
It might be your OS.

Calibre behave slightly different between OS.

XP SP3: Calibre style has light grey bars as described. They are harder to see on my rig because I set windows to use an off-white (easier on old eyes) as the standard WINDOWS window background.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you sure you are running 0.9.0? Look at the bottom of the main calibre window. What is the version number. And the modern look is disabled on machines with less than 24bit color depth.

If you want night mode in the viewer, go to preferences in the viewer and set the colors accordingly under fonts and colors. You can then use the themes tab to save your settings as a theme named night mode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Breed92014
Enthusiast

My machine is running Windows 7 64 bit. The color depth is 32 bit. I did successfully change the viewer to night viewing so that is not an issue.

I said in my first post that I installed 0.8.0 but that was a mistype. At the bottom left is "0.9.0". I also tried reinstalling calibre but there was no change. I cannot figure out what is going on.

I have attached an image; hopefully that will help. Thank you for your assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	93104  
Old 09-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

run calibre in debug mode and post the log (right click the preferences button to do run in debug mode)
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Breed92014
Enthusiast

Here is the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpqhnsdl.txt (512 Bytes, 248 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

According to that log file either windows is telling calibre your color depth is less than 32 bits or calibre is unable to load the style plugin. I'll add some print statements to clarify which it is in the next calibre release. In the menatime I suggest doing a clean install. Uninstall, delete the calibre installation folder and re-install.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Breed92014
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help. I have 2 monitors, so I dragged Calibre over to the 2nd one and could see the new look. My first monitor does say it has 32 bit color depth, so I don't understand what's going on. But it doesn't appear to be a Calibre issue.
Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed92014 View Post
Thanks for your help. I have 2 monitors, so I dragged Calibre over to the 2nd one and could see the new look. My first monitor does say it has 32 bit color depth, so I don't understand what's going on. But it doesn't appear to be a Calibre issue.
Thanks again!
It (or the vidieo port) might be just out of (wrong color balance ) adjustment. Nvidia has all sorts of settings to make the color perfect (or really bad )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Breed92014
Enthusiast

My graphics card is ATI; I do use color management software (Huey Pro) because I am a photographer. This creates a specific profile for the monitor which I use. (I did test calibre without the profile, but nothing changed.)

As I am thinking about this, I do wonder why the calibre GUI plugin needs 32 bit color depth. I could understand if there were photographs involved (perhaps for book covers?), but perhaps this requirement is a little overkill. Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Would someone be kind enough to post a screen print of how the "new" Calibre looks?

I see a slight difference and I went into Preferences as indicated by Kovid and changed it to Calibre but not sure if the slight change is the change. Hope this makes sense! Thanks!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I see a slight difference and I went into Preferences as indicated by Kovid and changed it to Calibre but not sure if the slight change is the change. Hope this makes sense! Thanks!
When it was implemented months back as the default all I saw was a slight change on Windows 7. So I don't think your missing anything. I attached the current different styles. Keep in mind that the different icons you see are the icons I chose to replace calibre's original set with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-older-style.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	93267   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-newer-style.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	93268  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-02-2012 at 07:34 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote