Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Good morning Doug.

What can we help you with?

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
joebee1
joebee1 began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman, palm tungsten e
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwill View Post
It intrigues me that your EBM911 has no trouble working with XP. Now I have to find out why it does not on my pc, hard thinking needing. I have an Acer pda too which works perfectly, so it must be something with the hardware. I'll start with the usb cable, maybe it's not the right one (I don't have the original one anymore) for the EBM. Shops closed for the WW1 Armistice holiday I'll buy a new one tomorrow.
I have ebookmans,5 to be exact and have no trouble with XP, I also went out and bought some capacitors and have changed the defective ones, it's a simple pull out and push new one in. I too love mine as well, I also have a Palm Tungsten E and am looking to but either a Cybook or a Hanlin for the future.
joebee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
misfitzx138
misfitzx138 began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman ebm-911
i have an franklin ebookman ebm-911

are there drivers out there that work with windows 7 x64 bit?

if so plz link

if not, a workaround perhaps?

TIA
misfitzx138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #19
gortsew
gortsew began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman
Hi,
I have a really big problem. I have got an EBM-911 which is faulty and loses the OS every time I replace battery. Up to this time it was not a problem, because I could download the OS via Internet from Franklin. But Franklin removed the web site and the EBM Desktop software crashes and no OS is installed. I have the original install CD but at this point it also goes to the Franklin web-site for validation, and since the referred eBookman website was removed the Desktop Manager crashes also. Could You or anyone make an MMC Backup (which includes the OS) from eBookman and make that available for me. I am terribly disappointed.
Thanks in advance: Ivan Gortsew
gortsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #20
Lake person
Enthusiast
Lake person began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Bebook, Pocketbook 360
If no one can help you, you may want to try going to Ectico's (I think thats how to spell their name) web page. They sell ebookman products. They may be able to help you if you contact them.
Lake person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have one though I'm not using it now days. Back when I got mine (through ebay) mobipocket was still upgrading the software then they decided to stop supporting it so newer ebooks in the mobipocket format weren't able to be opened on the unit anymore. And of course they upgraded their mobipocket publishing software so the old software for making mobipockets from scratch was taken down so you were out of luck that way too. I did save a copy of the old publisher program to cd but it's mislaid now among other disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Just curious if anyone else out there besides me used the Franklin eBookman as their first ebook reader. If so, what did you think of it?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #22
caeebe
caeebe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
I still use my ebookman 911 as my daily ereader. I get most of my ebooks from my local library (overdrive system) and I read mobipocket format. I've never really had a problem reading any books. You can download their newest (for ebookman) mobipocket software from their legacy page and it works well. My ereader also has the issue where it loses all memory if I lose power. My fix is to change the batteries really fast, one at a time, and never let the batteries run too low. If I manage to change each battery in less than 5 seconds I can usually keep my memory without reloading the OS. When I upgraded to a computer with Vista I had to start running the Destop Manager in Compatibility Mode for XP or lower. My library is starting to only buy new ebooks in epub format now and I'm going to have to start looking for a new reader soon.
caeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
gortsew
gortsew began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman
Hi,
My problem is still valid. Could anyone make an MMC Backup (which includes the OS) from eBookman and make that available for me e.g. in a file in private message?
(No book or other application files are needed, only the OS files).
gortsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortsew View Post
Hi,
My problem is still valid. Could anyone make an MMC Backup (which includes the OS) from eBookman and make that available for me e.g. in a file in private message?
I have a back up. I just need to dig it out. It may have some of my stuff on it, but you can just delete as you go. Mostly the extra stuff consists of some games that I got free. I will PM you once I find it. Should take long.
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
usb trick

I have two EBM 911s, one with a serial port cradle and the other with a USB cradle. One works pretty good and it seems to play well with my XP. They both have the capacitor issue (I have actually bought new capacitors, but haven't installed them yet...scared to... they are soo tiny). There is a Yahoo forum for EBMs and either from there or here (not sure anymore) I learned a trick that helps when changing the batteries. IF the batteries have not died out completely, plug the EBM into the computer via the USB cord (doesn't matter if its recognized or the software is running, this is just about keeping a flow of electricity into the unit), as we know the EBM doesn't charge up this way but enough electricity is running through the unit that you can then change the batteries without losing the OS (of course unplug after the battery change).

I believe there are a couple of conditions to this procedure: having a USB cord that works with the EBM, and I mean CORD because the USB cradle that came with them can't work for this procedure (when in the cradle, the battery compartment is trapped underneath and can't be reached). My biggest problem is that I have multiple devices (and yes I just caved into ordering a Kindle 3, never thought I would that...), and whenever I have decided to use the EBM the batteries were already drained (wonder if keeping on a USB charger all the time would prevent that...or would it hurt the device?) and I usually have to reload the OS. This has happened enough times that I finally took some more advice I found online (where? not sure anymore...) of making a full (both OS and ebook) backup on the MMC card. With the backup on the card, even if you do lose all power, after you replace the batteries it automatically (sometimes I've had to "convince" it) reloads the information without having to hook it up to Desk Manager...this is good for when you are traveling with it.

As said before, I don't use it that much, the battery life is practically non-existant, and the contrast of text color and background color is not good (heck my eBookWise is almost e-ink in comparison). However I don't think I can part with it, its the perfect size and weight of what my dream of the perfect travel size ereader should be (my 5" pocket Pro just isn't small enough to hold comfortably in one hand or slid into my tiny purse...I hate purses...another rant...), yet bigger than the Blackberry, and until recently (when I get the K3...I think I am truely sick here) it was my only reader that can do mobipocket (and I have transfered recent mobi purchases onto it at least as recently as 3 months ago, no problems there).

Anyway I hope some of the above is helpful to someone...back into lurk mode I go.....

Last edited by spear; 09-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #26
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Hi,
I've PM'd a link to Ivan, does anyone else need a link?

Michael
Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #27
250 Coupe
Groupie

When I do use mine, I maximize battery life by running batgraph and leaving it docked with the driver running on my PC. As long as the battery indicator is showing a lightning bolt, it's being powered via USB. I've left it that way for several weeks without it draining the battery. It must be powered on and batgraph seems to keep it from going to sleep while it's running and docked.

At least, that's how I remember it working, it's been a year since I last powered it up.

Michael
Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #28
caeebe
caeebe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
Quote:
Hi,
Could You or anyone make an MMC Backup (which includes the OS) from eBookman and make that available for me.
http://66.179.52.177/ebookman/downlo...ware.asp#step1

If you have the desktop manager it will copy the os to your eBookman when you sync it with the computer. I wouldn't use the copy of Desktop Manager from your CD but the one from the website since it is probably newer. I am always losing my OS and this is how I recover it. There are no separate files because of this. In order to copy the OS to your ebookman, run Desktop Manager, connect your ebookman, then run Syncronize from within the Desktop Manager. If you want to put the OS onto your MMC card you can Change the Sync Folder from under the file menu. this will copy the ebookman OS to your MMC. Again Desktop Manager is all you need. If your copy of Desktop manager does not have the OS (I once accidentally deleted all the content files) just download another copy of Desktop Manager and it will reset itself. If Desktop Manager continues to crash you may need to set it to run in Compatibility Mode. Right Click on the .exe file and change the compatibility to an older version of windows.
caeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #29
250 Coupe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
I've PM'd a link to Ivan, does anyone else need a link?

Michael
Turns out my backup doesn't restore to a unit other than mine. I'm still working on it though.

Michael

For those with links, look for an ISO file, burn it to a CD and let me know if it works.

Last edited by 250 Coupe; 09-14-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Will soon be upgrading my laptop to Windows 7. Just curious if anyone has tried running the Desktop Manager in XP mode under Windows 7 Pro and above? If so, were you successful? And were there any special tweeks you had to do to get it running right?
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote