Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #31
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I also like the thread. I only have a Kindle and it's nice having a list of what's available freely outside of public domain books. I'm not much willing to spend time converting formats etc. so I mainly stick to the Kindle store and Feedbooks, so its nice to have a consolidated list of other freebies for the Kindle.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #32
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
This one also has a free .PDF version available if you contact the author and agree to write a review after you read.

But the Kindle version is only $0.99 cents.

Mighty Hammer Down (Legend of Reason Series) by David J. Guyton - $0.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Guyton View Post
My name is David J. Guyton, author of Mighty Hammer Down. It's fantasy, with a kind of ancient Roman feel to it. It has some political undertones...so if you like Terry Goodkind, you will enjoy this book.

Kindle version ($.99) and paperback ($10.99) also available

Synopsis

A longstanding peace is about to be shattered by villains in the shadows of Medora. They conspire with distant nations to cripple the western Empire and spread their venom eastward. In their secretive attempt, they stumble across the power to slay Arius, the god of war, and replace him with a human puppet. That mission fails however, and they not only pave the path for the seven gods to walk the earth, but create a god of war who is bent on their destruction. He clumsily learns to use his powers and hones them into a powerful weapon to wield against the Mages and their twisted vision of society. In the chaos, a great war ignites and threatens all nations and cultures.

Rommus has no idea that he has become the new god of war. He also has no idea that his companion Alana is responsible for the assassination attempt on his father, the General of the Medoran army. While the Medoran Legions head east to aid the Vindyri in their battle against the oppressive Bhoors, Rommus follows the visions he sees in his dreams, pulling him north towards the Land of the Gods. Along the way they meet a strange man named Vohl who claims to be immortal, and the three of them end up before the golden throne of the great god Oderion. But Rommus refuses to be like the uncaring gods, and quickly makes six very powerful enemies.

In all of this mayhem, the small flames of the old magic roar to mighty infernos; burning some and lighting the way for others. Great beasts now walk the earth again, and the gods themselves have come down to influence the world of man once more. But the new god of war is not interested in their agenda, and instead joins the battle on the Vindyri planes. He fights with all his might for the freedom of mankind, struggling to bring light to the coming darkness.
--------------

The Legend of Witch Bane (The Witch Bane Saga) by Kevis Hendrickson - $0.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevisHendrickson View Post
Hello everyone.

My name is Kevis Hendrickson, author of The Legend of Witch Bane. For a limited-time only I am currently allowing readers to download The Legend of Witch Bane to their Kindle for the low introductory price of 99 cents. This offer will expire in a few days, so I hope you will take advantage of this special offer.

I am anxious to share my book with you all and look forward to getting your thoughts. Thank you for your support everyone!
Quote:
Review

Chivalry thrives in Kevis Hendrickson's The Legend of Witch Bane. Three young siblings, born of royalty, become the only hope of saving an entire kingdom when evil pervades the landscape. A sorceress has placed a spell upon the people of Kaldan in retaliation for disobedience, forcing them into a deep slumber from which they cannot be awakened. Only Laris, Kòdobos, and Anyr, children of King Falinn, are immune to the charm and have the ability to seek aid.

So it is with these events that the destiny of the people of Kaldan falls into the hands of the three children. Each weapon-wielding child possesses his or her own unique talents to contribute to the battle against the sorceress Rhiannon. The youngest, Anyr, has the patience and agility of an adult when using her bow and arrow. Kodobos is more impulsive, but as heir to the throne, he strives to become a great knight who will instill honor in his kingdom. As the oldest, Laris holds more knowledge about the dangers they will face, and uses her twin serpent swords with the adeptness of a master.

Though this is a children's book ripe with magic and fantasy, there are some very serious threads running through the story. Much of the controversy centers on Laris, who is but half-sister to Kòdobos and Anyr, born of fairy blood. After her mother's death, Laris was sent to live with her father, King Falinn, who didn't even know of her existence. She is still in mourning and doubtful of her father's love for her. Her many secrets will become evident as the story progresses, but her childhood is a tale of bigotry, ignorance, and deception. With this basis, Laris is also easily manipulated, which results in terrible consequences for the children.

The grandeur and pace at which the children flit from incident to incident is very reminiscent of Peter Pan. In one chapter, they might be outwitting a giant, while in the next, they're battling werewolves or befriending dragons. In fact, Hendrickson has included nearly every mythical being ever found in literature and lore: dragons, fairies, giants, ogres, vampires, and many more. Popular fairy tales are woven into the story under a new guise. For example, The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe becomes Hazel, abusive housemother to hundreds of Kinderlings.

The events that transpire indicate there will be a sequel to The Legend of Witch Bane, which is good news. There are so many routes a sequel could take, and Hendrickson has already introduced some elusive antagonists. This will be an excellent series for young readers. The book is truly a tale of high adventure, and reminds children that being pure of heart is a virtue. The Legend of Witch Bane is classic literature for a modern audience.-- Sabrina Williams --Front Street Reviews

Last edited by Sporadic; 03-23-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #33
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'd also like to see a label indicating a book's genre -- I'm not into the harlequin erotica stuff.
Added
Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Added
Can you also add if they are AZW or Topaz?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #35
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you also add if they are AZW or Topaz?
What's the difference and how can I tell?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
What's the difference and how can I tell?
The difference is that AZW is basically Mobipocket and Topaz is some other format that looks nasty (at times) and is slower on a Kindle. Most people prefer AZW to Topaz. All you have to do is look at beginning of the eBook file with your computer and you'll see that it starts with TPZ.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #37
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The difference is that AZW is basically Mobipocket and Topaz is some other format that looks nasty (at times) and is slower on a Kindle. Most people prefer AZW to Topaz. All you have to do is look at beginning of the eBook file with your computer and you'll see that it starts with TPZ.
I don't have all of the books but if more people want it, I'll add a Topaz warning at the bottom of the first post and go through the books I currently have.

Last edited by Sporadic; 03-23-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can also tell what's Topaz by looking on Amazon. Topaz books (at least any I've seen) don't list a file size in their specs while AZW books do.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #39
sweet noom
sweet noom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
hi
amazon was offering "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death" for free last week . and i was stupid and didn't download it , and now i want it badly
is there any chance to have it for free ?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #40
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet noom View Post
hi
amazon was offering "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death" for free last week . and i was stupid and didn't download it , and now i want it badly
I make it a habit to go ahead and get ALL of the freebies (except the Harlequins *shudder*). THat is one nice thing about the Whisper Net and storage capacity. If I don't like them I can get rid of them later. The one downside is that I need to "clean up" my Amazon recommendations more often. The Harlequin novels really fuggered that up for awhile!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Persuader

Persuader by Lee Child. This is the seventh book in the Jack Reacher series.

Synopsis

Jack Reacher.

The ultimate loner.

An elite ex-military cop who left the service years ago, he’s moved from place to place…without family…without possessions…without commitments.

And without fear. Which is good, because trouble—big, violent, complicated trouble—finds Reacher wherever he goes. And when trouble finds him, Reacher does not quit, not once…not ever.

But some unfinished business has now found Reacher. And Reacher is a man who hates unfinished business.

Ten years ago, a key investigation went sour and someone got away with murder. Now a chance encounter brings it all back. Now Reacher sees his one last shot. Some would call it vengeance. Some would call it redemption. Reacher would call it…justice.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet noom View Post
hi
This one was free for months. I'm actually surprised it was a freebie as long as it was. Many freebies last a month or less before they're done.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #43
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can also tell what's Topaz by looking on Amazon. Topaz books (at least any I've seen) don't list a file size in their specs while AZW books do.
I just saw my first AZW file that didn't have the file size listed - Silent on the Moor. I was really debating buying it, since I assumed it was Topaz, but I loved the first two books in the series. Turns out, however, that it is an AZW file. They're messing with our system

Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I just saw my first AZW file that didn't have the file size listed - Silent on the Moor. I was really debating buying it, since I assumed it was Topaz, but I loved the first two books in the series. Turns out, however, that it is an AZW file. They're messing with our system

Figures
Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #45
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Thanks, Sporadic.
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap, cheap kindle books, free, free kindle books