Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #91
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Blossom, is the bezel matte and made of the same smooth material as the gray bezel on the previous model and also used on the touch? Is color the only difference? I'm hoping so. I prefer that material as compared to what they used to make the kindle keyboard which has more of a plastic feel.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #92
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Blossom, is the bezel matte and made of the same smooth material as the gray bezel on the previous model and also used on the touch? Is color the only difference? I'm hoping so. I prefer that material as compared to what they used to make the kindle keyboard which has more of a plastic feel.
It feels like smooth plastic due to the finish but yeah it's the same as the silver. It is a matte finish like the silver.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #93
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
yay, thanks Blossom.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #94
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
My local Best Buy has this in stock, so I plan to take a trip there tomorrow and compare it to my K4S. If there is a vast difference, then I'll trade in my current K4 and order from Amazon. Amazon trade in is $23, Best Buy is $20 or less depending on condition.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #95
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks shopaholic and Blossom for answering my question!
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #96
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
My local Best Buy has this in stock, so I plan to take a trip there tomorrow and compare it to my K4S. If there is a vast difference, then I'll trade in my current K4 and order from Amazon. Amazon trade in is $23, Best Buy is $20 or less depending on condition.
Good plan. Best Buy will charge tax whereas Amazon might not depending on what state you live in.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #97
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good plan. Best Buy will charge tax whereas Amazon might not depending on what state you live in.
I read (somewhere) that Amazon uses multiple company names in different states, so they do not have to charge sales tax in anymost states. Of course, everything you read on the internet is true, and in the rare case that somebody is wrong on the internet, that is what the caps lock key is for.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-14-2012 at 06:14 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #98
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I read (somewhere) that Amazon uses multiple company names in different states, so they do not have to charge sales tax in any state. Of course, everything you read on the internet is true, and in the rare case that somebody is wrong on the internet, that is what the caps lock key is for.

I wish what you playfully say you read were true. Then that $900 camera body I bought on Amazon in August wouldn't have cost me an additional $72 bucks! If I had bought it a few weeks earlier it would have been tax free because Amazon has just recently been forced by Texas to charge tax. Read today CA will soon have Amazon charge tax there too.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #99
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I read (somewhere) that Amazon uses multiple company names in different states, so they do not have to charge sales tax in any state. Of course, everything you read on the internet is true, and in the rare case that somebody is wrong on the internet, that is what the caps lock key is for.
YOU'RE WRONG !!!11!

Amazon to charge sales tax in 8 more states
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #100
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Actually, I really DID read it "somewhere". It was the OTHER guy who was wrong.

EDIT: I found (part of) the information I read before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...tity_isolation
Quote:
Entity isolation

Amazon has created subsidiaries that are treated separately for tax matters, a legal technique called "entity isolation". The subsidiary that developed the Kindle is in California, but because it doesn't sell the Kindle directly to customers, Amazon's legal position is that it isn't required to collect sales taxes in California. In the company's financial report for the quarter ending September 30, 2009, the company stated that the imposition of sales-tax collection by more states or Congress could "decrease our future sales."[49]
There are reports that amazon pulled distribution centers from some states that required them to collect sales tax. However, recently, more states have been requiring or threatening to collect an "Amazon Tax".

EDIT2: Okay, I admit I was "wrong" about the "in any state" part of the quote, so you "got me" on that "minor detail". [I edited that post to change "any" to "most" so it is "more better" now.]

EDIT3: There is currently a bit of a "dance" going on in some states, where those states backed down on demands for sales tax when Amazon threatened to pull out of their state, potentially causing a politically risky loss of jobs in that state. Amazon claims that charging sales tax will hurt their revenue.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-14-2012 at 06:16 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #101
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You need Calibre and the plugin Called Kindle Collections.
Scroll down on that till you see
Modify Kindle Settings such as Margins and Fonts
Hit the spoiler button and follow the directions.
Thank you! I just sold my KT and am waiting for the KPW. Hopefully I can try this when I finally get my KPW
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #102
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Thank you! I just sold my KT and am waiting for the KPW. Hopefully I can try this when I finally get my KPW
This doesn't work on the K5, and probably won't on the KPW. For the K5 (and hopefully for the Paperwhite, we will see), there is JBPatch, though.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #103
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine
That method didn't work with the K5 (Touch) and might not work with the KPW.

Edit: The KPW will have multiple new fonts so perhaps there will be a way to add our own.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-14-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #104
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Thank you Blossom for the report. I tried 3 K4's and kept the last, even though I never got a screen to equal my Kindle keyboard. As much as I like the size of the K4, I find myself using the K3 more due to the better screen. I will buy the newest K4, but only when I hold up my current K4 next to the new model, at someplace like Staples. I won't spend again for the sub par screen. I hope all the new K4's have the improvement you reported.
Marty
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #105
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Congratulations on the new toy. I've got to wait until Oct 11 for my NSO Paperwhite and until Oct 25 for my Kindle Fire HD 7 32 Gb.

All I got today was my Kindle Fast Charger good for all eInk devices and Fires.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote