Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And I'll third Picnic at Hanging Rock.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #47
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll second Dog On It . Which uses up my votes.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I was thinking that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Picnic at Hanging Rock had in common having classic films made from them and it turns out it's more than that - the films date from the same year, 1975.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #49
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest before watching the movie and the movie was a little spoilt for me. I could just never see Jack Nicholson, great actor though he was, as McMurphy.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest before watching the movie and the movie was a little spoilt for me. I could just never see Jack Nicholson, great actor though he was, as McMurphy.
Tut, tut. I've never heard of such a thing. You're supposed to read the book first. A book can't spoil a movie, only the other way around.

That said, I know what you mean. But Nicholson gave a great performance if a tad over the top and now he's ineradicably overlaid on my impression of McMurphy.
Advert
Old 10-05-2018, 02:29 AM   #51
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Tut, tut. I've never heard of such a thing. You're supposed to read the book first. A book can't spoil a movie, only the other way around.

That said, I know what you mean. But Nicholson gave a great performance if a tad over the top and now he's ineradicably overlaid on my impression of McMurphy.
I almost always read the book first and sadly this does sometimes spoil my enjoyment of the movie, particularly where I loved the book and I feel the movie lets it down badly. In this case I have very vivid expectations of McMurphy on the screen because for me his personality was painted so vividly in the book. Perhaps we will discuss this further if the book is in fact chosen.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:24 AM   #52
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I studied this at school and the paperback copy I have has Nicholson's face on the cover - I think the movie had not long been released when our class was doing it. So while I read the book first, I already had some Jack Nicholson influence. It made for a bit of a strange mix-up in my head.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 AM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

A gentle reminder that there's two days to go in the nomination process.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:37 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I almost always read the book first and sadly this does sometimes spoil my enjoyment of the movie, particularly where I loved the book and I feel the movie lets it down badly. In this case I have very vivid expectations of McMurphy on the screen because for me his personality was painted so vividly in the book. Perhaps we will discuss this further if the book is in fact chosen.
My plan if either Picnic or Cuckoo wins is to watch the film as well, especially since both books are short. But I'll read it again first.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #55
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I got back my third vote back, and we seem a bit short on nominations, so here goes:

I nominate Notes on a Scandal, originally called What Was She Thinking?, by Zoë Heller. From Kobo:

Quote:
Shortlisted for the 2003 Man Booker Prize, Zoë Heller's Notes on a Scandal is a darkly compelling novel that explores the taboo subject of pupil/teacher relationships, obsession and betrayal.

From the first day that the beguiling Sheba Hart joins the staff of St George's history teacher Barbara Covett is convinced she has found a kindred spirit. Barbara's loyalty to her new friend is passionate and unstinting and when Sheba is discovered having an illicit affair with one of her pupils, Barbara quickly elects herself as Sheba's chief defender. But all is not as it first seems in this dark story and, as Sheba will soon discover, a friend can be just as treacherous as any lover.

'Brilliant, nasty, gripping' Zadie Smith
'Compelling, dark, sexy' Observer
'Superbly gripping. One of the most compelling books I've read in ages' Daily Telegraph
'Deliciously sinister' Daily Mail
Kobo prices are $US7.99, $C8.99, $A12.99 and £4.99.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 10-06-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #56
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
In the mid-1970s, I was movie-mad and for a few years made it a point to see every film nominated for any major Oscar. So of course I saw Cuckoo's Nest, which I hated. I believe a friend must have convinced me afterward that the book was better, so I dutifully read it. I had a paperback copy in my library until fairly recently, when I gave myself permission to purge the bookshelves of all the books I hated; it was one of the first to go.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:59 AM   #57
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
In the mid-1970s, I was movie-mad and for a few years made it a point to see every film nominated for any major Oscar. So of course I saw Cuckoo's Nest, which I hated. I believe a friend must have convinced me afterward that the book was better, so I dutifully read it. I had a paperback copy in my library until fairly recently, when I gave myself permission to purge the bookshelves of all the books I hated; it was one of the first to go.
To me it is one of the greatest novels ever written.

Vive la difference.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #58
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
For those struggling with the category like myself, goodreads and another site have a list of popular unreliable narrator books:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show...iable-narrator

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stmartinspr...ot-be-lyi-7rut

Nothing really strikes my fancy from any of these except maybe Catcher in the Rye for a reread, but I'm enthralled in a series right now so won't nominate it.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #59
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I give a second to Frederica by Georgette Heyer.

I can't say the sample really entices me all that much, but I'd give it a chance if it gets voted in.

And a second for Notes on a Scandal.

Curious, the movie for this has sat on the shelf for a very long time (two favourite actresses) without being watched (not an appealing topic).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #60
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
For those struggling with the category like myself, goodreads and another site have a list of popular unreliable narrator books:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show...iable-narrator

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stmartinspr...ot-be-lyi-7rut

Nothing really strikes my fancy from any of these except maybe Catcher in the Rye for a reread, but I'm enthralled in a series right now so won't nominate it.
Thanks for the links.

Nominations have been slow this month; perhaps it's the theme or there could be other reasons as well. Just in case the process is contributing to the difficulty, I've a post in the Welcome thread that might make things easier.
You can read it here.