Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #121
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, you need to use MR Package Installer to install things... but that doesn't explain why your Kindle claims it isn't a test device?

Ah -- CR3 requires installation, not just launching via KUAL? That would do it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #122
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW2 *4Gb
If your device claims that it's not a test device, it just means that your kindle does not have CR3 development keys installed, some time ago each developer created their own key and JB just adds KUAL key to a keystore. New version of CR3 uses standard KUAL key *I think (info Merged Developer Keystore https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152294)

You could add them but I suggest updating your CR3, your JB or using another version of CR3 (for example CR3 + Games and stuff https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229288 this one works on KUAL 100%)
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2015, 04:57 AM   #123
DirkL
DirkL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
MKK won't install on B00A (k3gb)

I have a Kindle 3 Keyboard (international) whose serial number starts with B00A. The device already has jailbreak (I think 12.N, since that file is in /mnt/us/hacks, is there a way to check?) and USB-network 0.39.N on it, and I never switch USB-net off, doing all file transfers from the Kindle side by scp.

I copied Update_mkk-20141129-k3gb-B00A_install.bin to the root directory
The "Update Your Kindle" option remains pale, and running "Restart" seems to ignore that file (it is still there afterwards). Same for doing `reboot` from the telnet login terminal. Physically rebooting the Kindle is also unsuccessful.

I then remembered that I normally have /etc/uks.disabled, so I temporarily restored /etc/uks and retried the above in that order, still without success.
DirkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #124
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O
@DirkL: First of all, you're definitely doing something wrong, and/or the file you're using is severely mangled, because:

* Playing with /etc/uks is stupid, don't do it (especially on a K3, where it royally breaks the JB in a subtle and interesting way).
* Never restart with a custom .bin at the root of your Kindle. That said, that you don't seem to trip the recovery updater would imply that said file is completely mangled, or in the wrong place.

Bonus question: Which FW version are you running?
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #125
DirkL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DirkL: First of all, you're definitely doing something wrong, and/or the file you're using is severely mangled, because:

* Playing with /etc/uks is stupid, don't do it (especially on a K3, where it royally breaks the JB in a subtle and interesting way).
* Never restart with a custom .http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/kin...mment-22489bin at the root of your Kindle. That said, that you don't seem to trip the recovery updater would imply that said file is completely mangled, or in the wrong place.

Bonus question: Which FW version are you running?
3.4.1, it says on Menu/Settings.

I installed the original jailbreak way way back following the instructions on
Liraz Siri's page.

If putting the .bin in / is not the right way now, what is?

The file was unzipped from kindle-mkk-20141129.zip downloaded from this site today.
Advert
Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #126
DirkL

My mistake

OK, I seem to have forgotten what I did in 2011 :-(. Liraz's page says "into the device root" but that does not mean /, it means what looks like root if Kindle is in USB mode, i.e. /mnt/us. I did that, Update Your Kindle turned black and the file seems to have installed. It's gone from /mnt/us anyway.

Doesn't mean I can run KUAL, though. It says: "Mobileread Kindlet Kit is not installed." I'll try some other Kindlets.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #127
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DirkL: You *might* need to completely reboot the device on a K3 for MKK to take, I can't remember.

Also, do take care to pay attention to the OTA updater status, since you've messed with /etc/uks. (ie. it should be successful, and it should say so, just noticing that th .bin has been consumed is no reliable indication of a successful install).
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #128
anyall
anyall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Application does not start

Hello,

I have a problem with Kual and Collections Manager Hacks when I run them into my Kindle PW2: "Application Error: the selected application could not start".

I searched in the forum how to solve the pb but I found nothing with this error.
I do not understand where pb comes hence my request for help.

The operation that I made on my device:
- I downgraded in the Kindle in V5.4.3.2 => OK
- I did the JB in V1.14.N r11246 => OK
- I installed USBNet V0.18.N-r11508 => OK, I can connect to my Kindle in SSH
- Python in V0.11.N-r11499 => OK
- Screensavers (linkss) in 0.21.N-r11499 => OK, I can use screensavers
- Kual in v2.5.16-gc3370bb-20141129 => Not OK
- CollectionsManager_2.7.7 => Not OK

I have reinstalled MKK in V20141129-r11499 but I have not been able to start Kual and Collections Manager...
anyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #129
knc1
On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A known problem (Amazon screwed up Active Documents) on some versions of the PW2 firmware.

You need to upgrade to 5.4.5 (avoid 5.6 if you can).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #130
anyall
anyall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I upgraded the firmware to v5.4.5 but hacks stopped working ... even if this time I managed to launch Collections Manager and Kual.

But no firmware downgrade possible!

Still searching in the forum, I found this post of NiLuJe, MobileRead Package Installer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251143

So I installed the latest official version of the firmware Kindle PW2, v5.6.1.0.4, then MobileRead Package, and finally Hacks (Python v0.11.N, MKK v20141129, Linkss v0.21.N, Fonts v0.10.N, Kual v2.5.16 and LibrarianSync v1.9) but no Jailbreak is still necessary!

And it works!

Except Collections Manager which does not work in V5.6.1.0.4 and I replaced it by LibrarianSync.
anyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #131
knc1
On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyall View Post
I upgraded the firmware to v5.4.5 but hacks stopped working ... even if this time I managed to launch Collections Manager and Kual.
- - - -
Completely normal -
You **must** always re-install everything except JB and MKK after upgrading.

- - - - -

If everything else went correctly with your subsequent upgrade to 5.6.x, then you should still have access to the diags system.
Which would allow you to downgrade the main system - with a bit of work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #132
mg10
Enthusiast
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I use just JB+USB Network. My question is in case that I want to use KUAL, do I have to uninstall USB Network and use a similar extension in KUAL or I must keep USB Network?
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #133
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mg10: The two are completely orthogonal, you can have one without the other, or both, doesn't matter. USBNet itself ships a KUAL extension, but KUAL isn't a hard dep.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #134
mg10
Enthusiast
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Perfect.
Thanks for your help.
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #135
catharsys
catharsys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 wifi
Hello,
brand new PW3 here running 5.6.5.
Just jailbroke it using the jb file on root and website method.
Copyed Kual and it gave me "The device is not registered as a test kindle to run this title.." so i went over to this thread, grabbed myself the zip file and I copied Update_mkk-20141129-k5-ALL_install.bin to the root directory
The "Update Your Kindle" option remains grey, and the file is gone when I go there. Rebooting the kindle does nothing.

-----------
Update: this was fixed installing the hotfix

Last edited by catharsys; 03-01-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: fixed
catharsys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindlet, mkk