Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
look what arrived today

I'm borrowing booxtor's sample so i can write a review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onyx boox max.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	147138  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Honestly gives some sensation...
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dear Nate: how is the anti-aliasing "resulting effect"? The perceivable blockiness of the 150dpi?
(Are you normally demanding in resolution?)
Old 03-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm borrowing booxtor's sample so i can write a review.
When do you expect to have it online?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
1) Can you plug in a keyboard in and write and edit text in a notepad type app?

2) What is a2mode / no-refresh mode like? How does it work browsing and editing text using a keyboard?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post

2) What is a2mode / no-refresh mode like? How does it work browsing and editing text using a keyboard?
1, it's not recognizing my USB keyboard.

2, a2 mode is ugly and I turned it off pretty quickly.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Oooh exciting! I am looking forward to your review. I’m conflicted between the Onyx N96ML and Onyx Boox Max.
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
mdp
Wizard

If you could try this... Document editing on the Boox Max.
I use WPS/Kingsoft Office (cn.wps.moffice_eng, old version 5.12) and a bluetooth keyboard.
Matter is:
-- the experience on Onyx Boox T68 was excellent, responsive.
-- on the Onyx Boox i86, shipment firmware (build 2015-06-06...1.7.1_rc1), the experience is bad: some "feature" possibly related to the automatic screen refresh, evident in the i86 launcher and which was not in the T68, produces latency and jitter after input.
More clearly: on the T68 typing on the keyboard would give immediate feedback, while on the i68 there is a strong delay between typing and screen update - letters appear after a while, and in blocks.
As in: "[seconds] The [seconds] q [seconds] uick bro [seconds] wn fox jumps over the laz [seconds] y dog"
It is clear in other situations, like progress bars animations, that sometimes the screen updates, sometimes not.
This slows you down a lot and is quite unnatural, like a long-distance telephone call with the two speakers out of sync.
So, what is the experience on the Boox Max instead?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:10 AM   #9
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post

Quote:
1, it's not recognizing my USB keyboard.

2, a2 mode is ugly and I turned it off pretty quickly.
Thanks, both of you, for the great questions and answers.

It will be interesting to see whether Onyx drops the ball on USB host mode (and so decent keyboard support) on such an expensive device.

I'll also be looking forward to the review.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I'm really missing the lack of a capacitive touchscreen. The stylus is okay but it's still limiting.

I also really wish that the reading app had a two column mode. That would make it a lot easier to read fiction.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
I also really wish that the reading app had a two column mode. That would make it a lot easier to read fiction.
With the M92, there is a multicolumn mode. I can read two columns papers. This function is missing ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
With the M92, there is a multicolumn mode. I can read two columns papers. This function is missing ?
I can't find one.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
I can't find one.
This setting should be in Navigation -> More Setting -> And then you can choose 2 column, 3 column Navigation mode. (The setting is in Onyx Neo Reader)

Also, You are dismissing the A2 mode as ugly etc but i find it to be extremely useful. You have to do some modifications to be able to use it properly. I will post a video on how to use A2 mode when i get free time

Last edited by Feher; 03-19-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #14
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
This setting should be in Navigation -> More Setting -> And then you can choose 2 column, 3 column Navigation mode. (The setting is in Onyx Neo Reader)

Also, You are dismissing the A2 mode as ugly etc but i find it to be extremely useful. You have to do some modifications to be able to use it properly. I will post a video on how to use A2 mode when i get free time
Would love to know more, particularly for writing/keyboard use. sometimes feel like i had better experiences with a2 back when using a rooted nook touch.

Last edited by seltzered; 03-19-2016 at 04:22 PM.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post

Thanks.

If I get the Max working again i will look for that setting. (it's currently cyanotic and non-responsive).