Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@drachasor

I think you don't understand my issue...I know that the Iliad has a lot of stuff onboard that drains battery life...but:
according to Branko Collins (via Teleread.org) the Touchscreen is only online when you take the pen out of it's holder. so that's no prob. The Wifi is only on when you press the button, so again...no worries about that...

What really worries me is that the two numbers that irex officially gives are kind of contraditory.
21+hours is a lot less than 10000+ Pageturns. 21 hours is not even 1000 pageturns...and both times iRex says "reading", not usage. If you take the stylus, use processor-intensive apps, access WiFi..then battery-life goes down...no problem in understanding that...but reading alone should not drain the battery in 21hours, especially if you are supposed to be able to do 10000 pageturns...no way...impossible.

that's what's freaking me out.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

Well, the figures I have seen a quote stating "about a week's usage with 3 hours of reading per day," but that doesn't preclude it being used for other things each day--I bet this 3-hour figure is more of an "average use" statement, which includes jotting things down, perhaps marking up the text, downloading reading material, etc. I suspect the whole issue is just lack of clarity on this whole 3/hours per day business. Stating hours of use makes a lot of sense in terms of testing the product (which include non-reading activities); but I find it hard to believe they somehow had people only read with the device in such testing.

Since they did tell Branko it could be used for 10,000 page turns before running out of juice, I suspect this figure is, strictly speaking, accurate. That doesn't mean any common user is going to get 10,000 page turns out of the device on a single charge though.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Possible...I hope wel'll get an official statement soon.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #19
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

I had another thought.

The Iliad can read a lot of different formats, and it will have multiple readers with more to come. Given this, and that some books will have DRM encryption and some won't, there is going to be a fair bit of variability in how much energy is used in a given period of time. That would also make a per page prediction a bit difficult--or at least, innaccurate if you only count the energy used to refresh a page and not to do the processing to render a page.

Anyhow, I hope Irex posts when they the device will be for sale soon.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #20
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Branko Collins over at Teleread.org has now put the third part of his Iliad "Review" online.

Enjoy: http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=4619
Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 AM   #21
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Irex signed agreement with Guangzhou KingSun.

Cooperative agreement signed with Guangzhou KingSun Software R&D Center Co. Ltd.
http://www.irextechnologies.com/down...ngSun-iRex.pdf

Chineese press-release:
http://www.jcnip.com/Article_Show.asp?ArticleID=161

It's funny, the specs in Irex link differs from specs at chineese link

In chineese press-release Irex called ER 0102, and at http://www.irextechnologies.com/home.htm they call it ER0100.

ER 0102 - special model for China?
May be all this disorder with pdf-s at Irex site is because of different specs for two models?

In that case I have a strong suspicion, it will not cost $800 in China
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200647174217858.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1047  

Last edited by TaKir; 04-10-2006 at 05:22 AM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote