Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #31
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is the Hammer Slammer's series available in ebook? What's the reading order?
Many separate stories has been published by Baen from time to time, but just recently they started releasing The Complete Hammer's Slammers, with vol.1 available now and vol.2 in February.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #32
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Many separate stories has been published by Baen from time to time, but just recently they started releasing The Complete Hammer's Slammers, with vol.1 available now and vol.2 in February.
I own the first three The Complete Hammer's Slammers in hardback since Hammers has always been one of my favorite Mil. SF series. I am a bit disappointed with these, however, so far as I can tell there has been no effort to organize the stories in anything like chronological order nor is there much, if any, new content. The price can't be beat if purchasing these as part of a Webscription. I bought the ebook of Vol. 1 even though I had the hard copy.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #33
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Ian Douglas - Marines in space. Three trilogies; Heritage, Legacy, and Inheritance. Pretty good stuff

Jack Campbell - Lost Fleet series. Pretty good too.

Mike Shepherd - Kris Longknife series. Very good, female Marine. Edit; Oops as a former mud pounder you will have to forgive me for mixing up the squids and the jarheads. First story leads off with her leading Marines as a navel ensign.

Rick Shelley - A bit dated but good boots on the ground stuff. His Dirigent Mercenary Corps series is very good and he has done the Second Commonwealth War trilogy and the 13 Spaceborn - Lucky 13th trilogy. He started the Spec. Ops series before his death.

Last edited by NormHart; 10-04-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Mike Shepherd - Kris Longknife series. Very good, female Marine.
Just finished reading this series (well, what's out so far) and I liked it quite a bit. She's not actually a Marine though, she's in the Navy.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #35
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just finished reading this series (well, what's out so far) and I liked it quite a bit. She's not actually a Marine though, she's in the Navy.
Thanks for the correction, now I'll have to read them again. Especially since the next book is due out before the end of the month.

Thanks for the Twain quote too, BTW.
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #36
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Another series I've enjoyed has been William Keith's "Warstrider" series.

The Warstrider books take place in a future where Japan rules an interstellar empire, and a colony world settled by Americans is in revolt. As the series progresses, the two sides must entire an uneasy alliance against a threat by the alien Xenos, and later from a machine civilization closer to the galactic core.

Keith has some of the weirdest aliens I've encountered. The Xenos, for example, live in planetary mantles, and see the world as rock and not-rock. An individual Xeno literally doesn't know any other life form exists. Problems occur when a human colony on the surface encounters the Xeno living beneath the ground.

And I made Keith laugh at a convention, when I told him he almost made the giant fighting robot beloved of Anime believable. The Warstriders of the series title are giant combat armor a la Mobile Suit Gundam, but Keith's handling makes them more than the targets you would expect such things to be.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #37
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
As a note, when you're reading John Ringo's books, you might also want to be wary of anything co-written with Kratman. ("Right Wing" dosn't really describe him, more someone miles out to the right and playing with his guns.)

On the other hand, I'd like to second the Freehold (or, how a commited right winger can write good military scifi which is perfectly readably by a European liberal) books.

I also like quite a few of the battletech books, but they're very much pulp..the mechs don't even pretend to realism (I also play the board game, soo).

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 10-04-2009 at 08:32 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
I also like quite a few of the battletech books, but they're very much pulp..the mechs don't even pretend to realism (I also play the board game, soo).
Yeah, they're pulp, but they can be fun.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #39
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'll second Wayspooled's suggestion of C.J. Cherryh (one of my favourite authors) and Timothy Zahn.

In addition to the books listed by Cherryh, _TriPoint_ is very good and _Downbelow Station_ is essential background reading and _Merchanter's Luck_ is a fascinating story looking at a military action from the outside in. _Finity's End_ is an excellent story set after the conflict w/ a fascinating insight on who would get chosen for pilot positions and why and how.

For Zahn, I actually preferred _The Blackcollar_ and its second sequel (still need to track down a copy of the 3rd book in the series) --- interesting consideration of how sensor technology would affect military equipment and training.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #40
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Don't know if one should count it as Sci-Fi or not, but I liked the "Axis of Time" series by John Birmingham

Where a multinational naval force gets transported from 2021 to 1942.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #41
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
For Zahn, I actually preferred _The Blackcollar_ and its second sequel (still need to track down a copy of the 3rd book in the series) --- interesting consideration of how sensor technology would affect military equipment and training.

William
I was disappointed in the third book. It's probably worth reading, but it feels like a book done to fulfill a contract, long after the author has lost interest in the story. It's decently written and moves quickly, but could have been far more gripping than it was. For example, we have one character on Earth harboring a guilty secret. By the time we discover what it is, the denouement happens offstage, and it's hard to care. Done by someone like Keith Laumer at his peak, this section could make you cry. Done by Zahn in this book, you yawn. Zahn can, and has, done better.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's been a very quiet mention of the Bolo stories - let me mention them explicitly.

Originally by Keith Laumer, there are Bolo stories by many authors. Bolos are large 'tanks' with AI controllers partnered with a human commander.

Keith Laumer's original Bolo stories are just about to come out in the November 2009 webcription as The Compleat Bolo - three quarters of the book is currently available in draft form, the full book sometime in the next couple of weeks.

The set of six volumes by various authors, Bolos I through Bolos VI are available, as are the novels by David Weber, Bolo!, and Old Soldiers , three other novels by William H. Keith, Jr.: Bolo Brigade, Bolo Strike and Bolo Rising (this last one due in the December websciption), and even one by John Ringo and Linda Evans, The Road to Damascus which is available in the free library.

http://www.webscription.net/c-32-bol...th-laumer.aspx

All good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im loving Scalzi, Haldeman currently and looking for more scifi 'wars' in the style of old mans war, or forever war.

few others i have liked are starship troopers, War of the Damned, Aliens(novelisation by Alan dean foster)

Basically I want soldiers story during large scale war type stuff but with clear scifi leanings.

Anyone got any favourites?

Thanks
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #43
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like Ringo best when he is a co-author. His "March to..." series with Weber is excellent military SF. His solo Council War series is also good military SF, though rendered more as military fantasy.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #44
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd suggest that his "Vorpal Blade" series is also worth a look too - See here
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I like Ringo best when he is a co-author. His "March to..." series with Weber is excellent military SF. His solo Council War series is also good military SF, though rendered more as military fantasy.
I used to like Mr. Ringo's books a lot, but some of his recent books have pushed too overt a political agenda for me, unfortunately. You are right, though, the "March to ...." series is excellent. I enjoyed the early "Council War" books, but the later ones - again the politics got too intrusive for me. It's obviously a personal thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote