Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #1
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Migrating from Aura to H2O

I'm expecting my new Aura H2O this afternoon. All my books are on an SD card. A somewhat noob question: can I simply stick the SD card in the H2O and let the device do its thing? Or should I use Calibre to transfer everything from PC to device?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You should be able to just put the card in the device and let it process them. Depending on how many books you have, you might want to let it go overnight and plug it into a charger while it happens. The processing uses a bit of CPU and is constantly reading the card, so it can use some power.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, davidfor.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
bartveld
Evangelist

Another question: don't the self-defined collections migrate? I have all books categorized, but the H2O doesn't see the collections, simply puts all books in one long list and asks me to make collections. Migration was done with SD card. Would it work if I did it through Calibre? Or do I first manually create all collections on the device?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you copied over the entire koboereader drive (the internal memoriy with .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite and everything else) from aura to H2O you should have everything; user registration, collections, reading progress, ...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
bartveld
Evangelist

Ah, sqlite... forgot about that...
Old 09-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
bartveld
Evangelist

Still another question: how do I get rid of this error message about not having wifi on every time I wake up the device? Do I have to patch or is there a simpler way? I already have automatic sync off.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait for a firmware update that fixes this curious behaviour... that is, if disabling wifi (when you tap the wifi icon) does not help
Old 09-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
bartveld
Evangelist

You're seriously saying that this is unsolved as yet? Wifi is disabled, of course, but it keeps popping up. Silly Kobo.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

If we're referring to the same issue, it was only recently introduced [3.16-ish]

My Kobo is now turning on Wifi all the time, and I'm too lazy to investigate why.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I went from 3.15.0 to 3.17.0 (not yet gotten around to installing 3.17.3) and I have not had any problem with WiFi.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Another question: don't the self-defined collections migrate? I have all books categorized, but the H2O doesn't see the collections, simply puts all books in one long list and asks me to make collections. Migration was done with SD card. Would it work if I did it through Calibre? Or do I first manually create all collections on the device?
Kobo will sync the existence of collections between the devices. But, it will only sync the books in the collections for books purchased from them. Sideloaded books have to be done some other way.

If you are using calibre and have been managing the collections there, the next time you plug the device in, it will set up the collections for books in the calibre library.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If we're referring to the same issue, it was only recently introduced [3.16-ish]

My Kobo is now turning on Wifi all the time, and I'm too lazy to investigate why.
As of 3.17.0 the device will attempt to connect to WiFi when it is woken. But, it should not report an error if it cannot find a network it knows about or WiFi is off. It might report an error if there is a known network and it has problems connecting to it.

I usually have WiFi on and am not seeing errors when I wake it during my commute. I have seen a couple of errors at home when my ADSL service is misbehaving (any time it rains).
Old 09-02-2015, 02:07 AM   #14
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As of 3.17.0 the device will attempt to connect to WiFi when it is woken. But, it should not report an error if it cannot find a network it knows about or WiFi is off. It might report an error if there is a known network and it has problems connecting to it.

I usually have WiFi on and am not seeing errors when I wake it during my commute. I have seen a couple of errors at home when my ADSL service is misbehaving (any time it rains).
I have different behaviour: wifi is off. I turn on the device and it says "Error. Unable to join [name known access point]. Please try another network."
Then when I press OK a small window pops up where I can enable wifi or go to wifi settings. Clicking outside this window makes it disappear.
This happens on every wake-up and is very annoying.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #15
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I have different behaviour: wifi is off. I turn on the device and it says "Error. Unable to join [name known access point]. Please try another network."
Then when I press OK a small window pops up where I can enable wifi or go to wifi settings. Clicking outside this window makes it disappear.
This happens on every wake-up and is very annoying.
Happened to my Aura as well and I had to restart it for it to go away. Hadn't turned on wifi since then.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote