Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
My Cybook 3 just arrived, but ...Help!

I think I have a problem with my new Cybook Gen 3 which just arrived in Tasmania. I followed the instructions on the card
1 Check the components ..
2 Charging the battery - the reader is connected to a USB port on my computer with the other end of the cable attached to the reader. The LED on the top right is showing orange
3 Switching on - I held the button on the top right for about 5 seconds. The screen showed different pictures and then stopped at a screen which shows Connected... at the top and pictures of the two ends of the USB cable.
4 Browse the library. I get no response when I press the navigation button - the picture showing the ends of the cable is fixed. I can't even turn it off.

Is this normal? What should I do?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't be certain if it's "normal" behaviour for the Cybook, but certainly I get similar with the Iliad, and also my iPod (when I have it set for being able to browse it from the PC/iMac). I would offer that it's possibly "normal" behaviour to prevent changes being made on the device while it is being accessed from the computer.

I could be totally wrong though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This is normal. The Cybook cannot be used while attached to your computer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Is this normal? What should I do?

Regards, Alex
If you are saying that you can't operate your CyBook while it is connected to the computer via the USB cable, then yes I am pretty sure that is normal.

If that's not what you're saying then I am confused.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's what I am saying. It's a great relief to know that this behaviour is normal.

I'll wait until it has fully charged the battery - probably another hour - and try again.

It would have been nice to get that message on the setup card - it reads to a newbie that one goes directly from plugging in for the first time and then using.

Regards, Alex
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Yes, disconnecting the ebook reader from the computer allows me to read the book, and I'm slowly learning how to navigate and use the reader.

By the way, should I be able to see the reader on when I click on the My Computer icon? And should I click on the Safely remove hardware icon before I remove the USB cable? When I click on that icon now I don't see an entry for the ebook reader even though it is connected.

Regards, Alex
Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
By the way, should I be able to see the reader on when I click on the My Computer icon? And should I click on the Safely remove hardware icon before I remove the USB cable? When I click on that icon now I don't see an entry for the ebook reader even though it is connected.
If it's connected and turned on, you should see a new unit in My Computer (or two if you have an SD card). You should always use "safely remove" (on both units) before disconnecting it, especially if you wrote anything into it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I second the use of the Safely Remove Hardware option.

The Gen3 is susciptabel to the memory card being corrupted, so taking this simple precaution should minimise the chances of that happening.

And the Reader and its Memory card usually appears alongside the removable drives such as Flash drives, etc. in My computer.

Sometimes if the USB port is not working correctly, they will not show up, but a system restart usually fixes that.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
As long as you know that the memory card isn't being accessed by the computer, it's safe to remove without using that option. Of course, if you use the option, you'll be sure that the card isn't being accessed.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would strongly recommend ALWAYS using the "Safely Remove Hardware" function before unplugging. Both "drives" of the Gen3 should should up on the same line of the "Safely Remove Hardware" list, as something like:

Safely remove USB Mass Storage Devices - Drives (F:,G: )
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
As long as you know that the memory card isn't being accessed by the computer, it's safe to remove without using that option. Of course, if you use the option, you'll be sure that the card isn't being accessed.
That is definitely not true for a Linux system. And it was my understanding it was not true for Windows also but I might be wrong.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All I can say is that, using the "Safely Remove Hardware" facility 100% of the time, I've never had a problem with memory corruption. Of course that's not "proof", but it's so easy to do, why take the chance?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All I can say is that, using the "Safely Remove Hardware" facility 100% of the time, I've never had a problem with memory corruption. Of course that's not "proof", but it's so easy to do, why take the chance?

Especially as it takes *SO* little effort to do this!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Sorry I'm late getting back, but I continue to have problems.

It seems to be a matter of random chance whether I see the ebook and the memory card when I connect the reader to my computer, and quite often the mobile reader I have on my computer (an IBM Thinkpad) locks up when the Cybook is attached to the computer. I have to go to the task manager to close it down.

I tried last night after I took the memory card out, and everything worked well. I wonder whether I have a bad memory card or messed it up in the initial panic.

I've not seen memory cards like that before. Are they readily available from computer stores or camera stores? The only way to be sure whether it is the memory card causing problems I suppose is to try again with the card installed and try again with a new card.

Regards, Alex
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Since my last post there have been further developments

I have Windows XP SP2, and have updated it. I don't use a hub.

Up until last night I had problems with my computer not seeing the Cybook or it's card, and with the computer's mobipocket reader locking up. Last night I took the card out, and tried again. Everything worked well, including having the reader show up as drive K on the My computer window. And I was able to use the computer's mobipocket reader to read the Cybook. All the books I had on the computer had transferred into the Cybook.

This morning I tried again with the memory card installed - name side facing the back, the cutaway corner to the right when I'm facing the Cybook. And I had attached the Cybook while it was turned off and then turned it on.

For reasons I entirely do not understand the computer eventually recognised both the Cybook as drive K and the card as drive G, and I was able to use the computer's mobipocket reader without problem.

All the ebook files are on the Cybook. When I opened the card as drive G I saw the folders, but when I tried to open the folders each one gave a message that the files were corrupted.

Eventually either Windows or mobipocket advised me to run scandisk. I did so, and when I opened drive G again there were no folders to be seen.

Does this mean that the Cybook is defective? I don't really care whether it was defective when it came or whether I broke it, as long as I can get another one. But if I do get another one somewhere other than Bookeen is it simply a matter of me setting up the folders? How would I get the system files over to the card for example?

Finally, is there anything like a Cybook and Mobipocket Reader for Dummies anywhere so I can read all this up at my leisure?

--
Regards, Alex