Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Touch Firmware 2.1.5

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of firmware 2.1.5 for the Kobo Touch. I need to do a manual update.

Many thanks
Transonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660. Instructions are in the thread plus other discussion on whether it is a good idea or not.

But, as you are in Melbourne, what firmware is on the device now? And why the need for a manual update?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks David for the link. At present I have 2.1.4 installed but when I try to synch the reader it keeps downloading a second copy of each book I have on the Touch before downloading the new firmware. So I decided its easier to install the update myself.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
Thanks David for the link. At present I have 2.1.4 installed but when I try to synch the reader it keeps downloading a second copy of each book I have on the Touch before downloading the new firmware. So I decided its easier to install the update myself.
I wonder why it is doing that. Is this over WiFi update of from the desktop?

It should be safe to do the manual upgrade from 2.1.4. Was the update to 2.1.4 manual?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
Transonic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I wonder why it is doing that. Is this over WiFi update of from the desktop?

It should be safe to do the manual upgrade from 2.1.4. Was the update to 2.1.4 manual?
The strange downloading is both Wifi and desktop updating. Yes the upgrade to 2.1.4 was manual and it worked very well. I have just done the manual upgrade to 2.1.5 and tried the Touch and everthing is fine. Thanks for your help.
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
The chapter markers (little vertical bars) on the bottom status bar are gone.

I'll miss that qs I always want to stop my reading at the end of a chapter, and knowing how far it is helps.
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Since I have 2.1.5 on my touch (or, it might have been since 2.1.4, I don't know), something is wrong with bookmarks.

Epub bookmarks work fine.

Kepub bookmarks however, don't seem to remember their percentage. I was reading a kepub and was about 60% through if I remember correctly. Since I'm on 2.1.5 (or 2.1.4, I never read this particular kepub in 2.1.4), this book opens to the correct page, but it says 0% read from within the bookmenu, and it says 1% read from the library... I've synced a million times, and also opened the book from the desktop software, paged forward and backward a few pages, then synced the desktop software. Then synced my kobo touch again: still on 0 or 1%. Restarted touch, still no change...

Weird! I don't know if it's the same with other kepubs, I only have the one...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Since I have 2.1.5 on my touch (or, it might have been since 2.1.4, I don't know), something is wrong with bookmarks.

Kepub bookmarks however, don't seem to remember their percentage. I was reading a kepub and was about 60% through if I remember correctly. Since I'm on 2.1.5 (or 2.1.4, I never read this particular kepub in 2.1.4), this book opens to the correct page, but it says 0% read from within the bookmenu, and it says 1% read from the library... I've synced a million times, and also opened the book from the desktop software, paged forward and backward a few pages, then synced the desktop software. Then synced my kobo touch again: still on 0 or 1%. Restarted touch, still no change...

I've seen this on a couple of kepubs as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #9
Transonic
Enthusiast

Quote:

Yes I had this problem with one book. No matter how much I read it always said 2%. So I deleted the book from the Kobo reader and then went to My Account on the Kobo web site and using Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 downloaded the book and installed it using Calibre. Everthing now works perfectly.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've seen this on a couple of kepubs as well.
Gah I hoped there was something I could do to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
Yes I had this problem with one book. No matter how much I read it always said 2%. So I deleted the book from the Kobo reader and then went to My Account on the Kobo web site and using Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 downloaded the book and installed it using Calibre. Everthing now works perfectly.
Mmm that sounds like a good idea. I don't like the kepub formatting anyway... I just thought I'd give the kepubs another chance with this book. All the other books I bought from kobo I've indeed got the DRM version of.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Gah I hoped there was something I could do to fix it.

Mmm that sounds like a good idea. I don't like the kepub formatting anyway... I just thought I'd give the kepubs another chance with this book. All the other books I bought from kobo I've indeed got the DRM version of.
I've found this with kepugs and 2.1.5 as well. It must be a bug they didn't find. However, the bookmarks work and the pages keep turning so I'm still reading. I can wait for the next firmware for that to be fixed. It isn't as big a problem as the bricking of KTs that happened with 2.0.0.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I've found this with kepugs and 2.1.5 as well. It must be a bug they didn't find. However, the bookmarks work and the pages keep turning so I'm still reading. I can wait for the next firmware for that to be fixed. It isn't as big a problem as the bricking of KTs that happened with 2.0.0.
Indeed not as bad at all! However, still extremely annoying, especially with the progress bar gone... I have no idea any more how far into the book I am!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I have seen the same issue with the percent read not working, showing 0% or 1% for a kepub, but for me it was on firmware 2.0.0. I haven't seen the issue yet in 2.1.5.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Indeed not as bad at all! However, still extremely annoying, especially with the progress bar gone... I have no idea any more how far into the book I am!
The latest plugin for the 2.1.x firmware now supports the progress bar again..

see
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...06#post2276406
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks Ikarus!