Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Question Why is it so slow?

I've been using my new PRS-500 for a few days now and one thing thats been slightly bothering me is the speed at which the display refreshes. I wouldn't say it's unbearable but it's definitely annoying and noticeable when I use the joystick to go through menu selections or when I need to quickly look something up. In a paper book, I'd simply flip one or a few pages at a time while skimming each page to see if it contains the info I'm searching for.

My question is: What makes the refresh speed slow? Is it the technology inherent in the display (e-ink) or is it the fault of the processor/circuits running it? Also, do you think the upcoming readers (NAEB, Kindle, etc.) will be any faster?
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
My question is: What makes the refresh speed slow? Is it the technology inherent in the display (e-ink) or is it the fault of the processor/circuits running it?
It's the refresh speed of the eInk display. Nothing to do with the CPU speed of the Reader except, perhaps, in the case of extremely complex PDF pages.

Quote:
Also, do you think the upcoming readers (NAEB, Kindle, etc.) will be any faster?
Vapourware products can be as fast as you want them to be, of course!

Any physical device that's built with the same screen technology is going to have the same refresh speed.

You know, by the way, that if you press and hold the page forward/back buttons it'll jump 10 pages at a time?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Harry's right, but that doesn't work in the lists of books (or songs or pictures) -- on those screens, pressing and holding simply moves to the end of the list or back to the start.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
My question is: What makes the refresh speed slow? Is it the technology inherent in the display (e-ink)
Yes it is.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
...when I use the joystick to go through menu selections....
Forgive me if you already know this, but you can select entries in those menus with the numbered buttons along the bottom of the screen. That'll take care of one thing for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Is your memory full to the hilt? Are you reading from a flash card ? What format is the culprit document in ?

I press the next page button when I'm halfway through the last line. And use the turn to blink my eyes. After a while it's as automatic as a manual transmission shift.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #7
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Thanks for the tips. However, I wasn't really looking for a workaround. I suppose I was expecting a device that would behave more like today's computers/monitors in terms of responsiveness and speed (especially when it's costing as much as a computer).

Before the prs-500, I was reading documents on a laptop and sometimes on paper. Both of these modes of reading did not require any wait time. With the Sony, I feel like reading and extracting information is taking much longer.

But, in the end, I'm not sure if I just need to get used to it. Aside from this issue, I'm totally in love with this thing. It has excellent features and good looks to boot

With regard to memory, I probably have about 15MB free. I have two books in the reader memory and 1 book on an SD card.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #8
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
When I first bought mine, I had the same concerns about the refresh delay. After only a few days, I stopped even noticing it was there.

The tech will likely improve over time and reduce it, but the mechanical nature of eInk likely precludes anything even approaching the 60-80 Hz you see in a typical display.

My advice is to try to ignore the delay until you realize that you don't even need to try anymore. : )
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started thinking of it as analogous to the turning of a physical page (takes about the same time, and they never stick together!), and that did it for me. I don't even notice anymore, haven't for months.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Priorities of design

eReader devices are designed with a set of criteria in mind. Some of these are speed and battery life. It is common in portable devices to give battery life a priority. My Palm devices all seem to go a month before they devour another set of AAA batteries. I am happy about that.

Sony selected the eInk screen and slow processor speed to optimize battery life. I really enjoy the fact that I can charge my Reader and go on a long trip without carrying a charger. I think Sony made good design choices.

I do not envision a really fast eReader in the future. Reading is not a compute-intensive application. It only needs to be fast enough. I think it is.

There are multipurpose devices that are faster. Among them are the MIDs, the newer PDAs, the UMPCs and the Tablet devices. One might expect more snap from the Asus Eee, which, at $200 would make an inexpensive reader.

But if I had something else that was faster, I would still use my Sony Reader. I just would.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:47 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Reading is not a compute-intensive application. It only needs to be fast enough. I think it is.

But if I had something else that was faster, I would still use my Sony Reader. I just would.

Well said
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well said, indeed. About this time last year, I was wondering why they were using so fast a processor, I mean, it's just to display text, right? wouldn't a nice 286 processor do that job just fine? But displaying text isn't the only job it's doing.

I'd also say that they balanced the processor about right, for speed vs. power consumption.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed. Given the choice between a Tablet PC with a battery life of 4h and the Reader with a battery life of a month (or even two weeks ) I know which one I'd choose as a book reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Here here!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote