Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #91
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I noticed last week that John Maddox Roberts' SPQR series was much cheaper ($9.99) and more titles were represented at B&N than at FW, which is weird considering B&N owns FW. They are published by St. Martin's Press. I don't know whether that's a subsidiary of an agency publisher, but when I went to recheck the FW price just now I found they've mysteriously disappeared. Still at B&N though - perhaps I'd better buy the remainig books quickly...
St. Martin's Press is a subsidiary of Macmillan.

Here's the full list:

Hachette (Grand Central, Little Brown, Faith Words, Windblown, Orbit, Center Street, Yen Press)

HarperCollins (Amistad, Avon, Caedmon, Ecco, Eos, Harper, ItBooks, Rayo, William Morrow)

Macmillan (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, FSG, Hill & Wang, Faber & Faber, First Second, Henry Holt & Co., Metropolitan Books, Times Books, Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Picador, Quick and Dirty Tips, Scientific American, St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books, Thomas Dunne Books, Tor/Forge, Orb Books)

Penguin (Penguin, Ace, Alpha, Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam, Avery, Berkley, Dial, Dutton, Firebird, Frederick Warne, Gotham, Putnam, Grosset & Dunlap, HP, Hudson Street, Jove, NAL, Pamela Dorman Books, Perigree, Philomel, Plume, Portfolio, Prentice Hall, Price Stern Sloan, Puffin, Razorbill, Riverhead, Sentinel, Speak, Tarcher, Viking)

Simon & Schuster (Atria, Folger, Free Press, Gallery, Howard, Pocket, Scribner, Simon & Schuester, Threshold, Touchstone/Fireside)
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #92
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Thanks for digging that up, Angst.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #93
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Ah, that explains where most of my other books went...they were under Tor.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #94
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Well I was in the same situation as a previous poster - I hadn't gotten around to downloading all the Agatha Christie's from the previous sale to my Mac desktop yet. Of course they're not showing up now, so I can't download them now, and they may not re-appear.

However, very fortunately for me, I had downloaded them all to my iPhone using the eReader app. As my iPhone is jailbroken (for this very reason), using a Mac app I have (PhoneView) I am able to access the files directly on the iPhone. This allowed me to copy all of the 453 .pdb files (all the ebooks purchased from FictionWise and eReader) over to my Mac. While they are named obscurely e.g. 1A7D9A3B6DDC2162.pdb, simply importing them into Calibre provides the author and title information from the files meta data. Even better, they are all DRM-free! So I have all my ebooks and can easily convert them to any format I choose using Calibre, which has been a real godsend for me. How lucky is that!
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #95
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post

However, very fortunately for me, I had downloaded them all to my iPhone using the eReader app. As my iPhone is jailbroken (for this very reason), using a Mac app I have (PhoneView) I am able to access the files directly on the iPhone.
FWIW--PhoneView doesn't require a jailbroken iPhone. I have the same program and have never bothered to jailbreak mine. The program's a great lifesaver though for pulling files off the iPhone; I've used it retrieve songs purchased through iTunes that have "vanished" off my Mac but were still on the phone.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #96
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
The program's a great lifesaver though for pulling files off the iPhone; I've used it retrieve songs purchased through iTunes that have "vanished" off my Mac but were still on the phone.
iTunes itself is supposed to be able to do that now.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #97
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
FWIW--PhoneView doesn't require a jailbroken iPhone. I have the same program and have never bothered to jailbreak mine. The program's a great lifesaver though for pulling files off the iPhone; I've used it retrieve songs purchased through iTunes that have "vanished" off my Mac but were still on the phone.
That is correct. However you can only access the "root" of the iPhone filesystem, and hence the apps directories and the ebooks contained within the eReader app, on a jailbroken iphone.

On a normal iphone, you can only access the general area which Apple allows you to access. So for my circumstance, I could only have retrieved my FW ebooks from a JB iPhone.
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #98
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
That explains where all the Star Trek books went. *sigh*
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #99
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
Does anyone know when the publishers will be putting their books back onto Fictionwise?
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #100
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
No. Possibly never*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langshipley View Post
Does anyone know when the publishers will be putting their books back onto Fictionwise?

* OK, probably not really never. But quite possibly not for several months and perhaps not even for years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #101
langshipley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OK, probably not really never. But quite possibly not for several months and perhaps not even for years.
That's just AWFUL. There are so many of my favorite authors that I read only in eBook format and now I have to switch back to print, which I do not like or want to do.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #102
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That's just AWFUL. There are so many of my favorite authors that I read only in eBook format and now I have to switch back to print, which I do not like or want to do.

You could buy from other ebook stores. As you have an iPhone, you could get the Kindle for iPhone app, and buy from Amazon. Books bought that way are easy to 'liberate' so that you can move them to any future device.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #103
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
St. Martin's Press is a subsidiary of Macmillan.

Here's the full list:

Hachette (Grand Central, Little Brown, Faith Words, Windblown, Orbit, Center Street, Yen Press)

HarperCollins (Amistad, Avon, Caedmon, Ecco, Eos, Harper, ItBooks, Rayo, William Morrow)

Macmillan (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, FSG, Hill & Wang, Faber & Faber, First Second, Henry Holt & Co., Metropolitan Books, Times Books, Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Picador, Quick and Dirty Tips, Scientific American, St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books, Thomas Dunne Books, Tor/Forge, Orb Books)

Penguin (Penguin, Ace, Alpha, Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam, Avery, Berkley, Dial, Dutton, Firebird, Frederick Warne, Gotham, Putnam, Grosset & Dunlap, HP, Hudson Street, Jove, NAL, Pamela Dorman Books, Perigree, Philomel, Plume, Portfolio, Prentice Hall, Price Stern Sloan, Puffin, Razorbill, Riverhead, Sentinel, Speak, Tarcher, Viking)

Simon & Schuster (Atria, Folger, Free Press, Gallery, Howard, Pocket, Scribner, Simon & Schuester, Threshold, Touchstone/Fireside)
Great list, thanks! I just copied it into a memo on my Zod so I'll have it handy in the days to come. (Geez, it sounds like I'm preparing for the end times or something. I wonder.)

Last edited by wayrad; 04-07-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #104
langshipley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You could buy from other ebook stores. As you have an iPhone, you could get the Kindle for iPhone app, and buy from Amazon. Books bought that way are easy to 'liberate' so that you can move them to any future device.
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. It is wonderful to know. I'll keep Kindle in mind. Do you know - if I buy a Kindle book from Amazon, can I deliver it to more than 1 iPhone?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #105
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. It is wonderful to know. I'll keep Kindle in mind. Do you know - if I buy a Kindle book from Amazon, can I deliver it to more than 1 iPhone?
You can put move than one "device" on your account. I'm not sure how many, 3 or 4, I believe. I presume those Iphones aren't connected to other accounts.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote