Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Question New entry Nickel_NewHomeScreen in AbTest table in the Kobo database

I have found a new entry in the AbTest table in KoboReader.sqlite on my Kobo Aura Edition 2 running firmware 4.2.8432.

Here is the entry from the sqlite prompt:

Code:
sqlite> .headers on
sqlite> select * from AbTest;
Id                                  |Expiration         |Name                |GroupId|Variables|Status|Description        |Checksum                        |TestKey
2d32b3a2-1017-43f0-8c06-33e71277c3c1|2018-11-20T00:00:00|Nickel_NewHomeScreen|2      |         |1     |2018-11-20T00:00:00|3ced0ca22d05d6c15ee3d687a2b091d7|REDACTED
The columns are as follows

It seems like Kobo is A/B testing a new home screen, but I do not see any change. Does anyone else have an entry like this, and if so, is there a different homescreen?

Last edited by geek1011; 02-13-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixes
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I've never looked into what the ABTest table was for. But, I do have that entry. For me, "GroupId" is 1 and "Variables" is a 60 character hex string.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, I've never looked into what the ABTest table was for. But, I do have that entry. For me, "GroupId" is 1 and "Variables" is a 60 character hex string.
It seems like you are also in the same group as me.
As for the AbTest table, I am quite sure it is for A/B testing new features. This new entry for me only popped up after I upgraded to 4.2.8432.

Also, if anyone has a new homescreen, also post a picture as well as the database entry please. I'm really interested in seeing it.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
these are in libnickel

Code:
INSERT INTO AbTest (FeatureId,Bit,DefaultValue,IsEnabled,Checksum) VALUES ('promo#test',85,1,1,'35a76d6833bd8def114bb1cfb1155730');
INSERT INTO AbTest (FeatureId,Bit,DefaultValue,IsEnabled,Checksum) VALUES ('discoverTitle#test',5,1,1,'0c784049c8a8debbcbeb7833ee212ab4');
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
these are in libnickel

Code:
INSERT INTO AbTest (FeatureId,Bit,DefaultValue,IsEnabled,Checksum) VALUES ('promo#test',85,1,1,'35a76d6833bd8def114bb1cfb1155730');
INSERT INTO AbTest (FeatureId,Bit,DefaultValue,IsEnabled,Checksum) VALUES ('discoverTitle#test',5,1,1,'0c784049c8a8debbcbeb7833ee212ab4');
Those are part of fairly old database migrations to DBversion 52 and 57 respectively. There is a later migration, to DBVersion 72, that drops and creates the table with different columns.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I also have "FrictionlessReadingBanner" and "NickelFTETest" with the mentioned "Nickel_NewHomeScreen" in AbTest table.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I have those as well. No idea what they are except that "FTE" is short for "First Time Experience" and usually there is a popup or something for the first time you do something. Such as the info on using the library when you first open it.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I had these in FW 3.19.5761, so nothing new here I guess.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

There is a new home screen. Kobo e-Readers have a new homescreen
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...new-homescreen

Last edited by geek1011; 02-25-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

But this probably looks like the homescreen will not be able to have the games added to it, but I will try and see if I can enable this homescreen on my Kobo so I can test it out.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
There is a new home screen. Kobo e-Readers have a new homescreen
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...new-homescreen
Good to see the GoodEReader are still on their toes. Only two days after we started to discuss this here. And most of that post was copied directly from that thread, including the screenshot, without any attribution.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Good to see the GoodEReader are still on their toes. Only two days after we started to discuss this here. And most of that post was copied directly from that thread, including the screenshot, without any attribution.
Ok, I did not check here first, I just saw the article in my RSS reader.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Ok, I did not check here first, I just saw the article in my RSS reader.
I did notice that rather familiar screenshot.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
database, firmware, kobo, kobo aura, sqlite