Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #121
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
CSS handling:
  • Would be awesome if all the css styles showed up in the drop down list of styles. Right now everything not in a heading tag just shows up as 'normal', regardless of the number of styles that are actually in the epub.
  • Related to that, if that were supported it would be great if a user could create human readable names for the styles, but this could be mitigated if the styles in the drop-down just listed the attributes set in the style
  • Equally great would be to be able to search or highlight document text by style. Often in format shifted content you get a large number of styles and it's difficult to tell the good from the bad so that one can homogenize them
i'd love to see these features as well. regarding creating the human-readable style names, you can modify the css yourself and put the name you want ; if you do this before applying the style too much it's very easy (if you've already applied the style eleventy million times, perhaps a bit of "search and replace" in an outside editor could be handy).

Quote:
Other formatting niceties
  • Would be great to be able to insert page breaks as an alternative to Chapter markers
if i understood correctly, the "chapter marker" inserted by sigil will result in a pagebreak on export in epub. is that what you are asking about ?

another question for you, valloric : i know jellby asked previously about showing only specific parts of the file, this is similar but different (), i am wondering if you have any plans to be able to show the css only either in a separate pane or a tab view or something ? i ask because i like to be able to define / modify new styles as needed "on the fly" when formatting a new text, and it's helpful if i can switch between the html and the css without having to navigate to find my place again each time (even with line numbers for the code, it's still annoying ). i thought about trying to open the same document in two instances of sigil but i imagine this would create a conflict with the buffers or saved versions or something... should i create an issue ?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #122
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Wonderful program. I will test it later.
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #123
netman49
Publisher
netman49 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-650, iPod Touch, iPad
Great initiative!
I've been looking for such a program for a long time and now it's there!
Good luck with furthur development. I'm going to test it in the near future.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #124
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Regarding the images that weren't imported:

Opened, bug #39
I'll look at this when I can, I'm currently rather busy. Do note that if I confirm this bug, it would be of high priority (if not critical) and I'd do my best to land it in 0.1.1

Quote:
A note regarding issue #21 TOC H1/Span issue, just wanted to note I'm seeing this too. Unfortunately the workaround of "Don't do it" isn't really a workaround. Many of us are format shifting and this weird kind of formatting happens with a lot of tools which convert to html.
The code that gathers the header and generates the NCX does some wishful thinking unfortunately. It's going to need a a lot of attention.

Quote:
Below is some other feedback/wishlist type stuff. I can open some bugs for anything that sounds amenable.

<a lot of nice ideas>
There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many I can devote to Sigil. The features you requested sound nice and will probably get implemented with time, but bear in mind these would require a truly great deal of work and you're not likely to see them any time soon.

I'm sorry, but I am only one man.

Quote:
  • Would be great to be able to insert page breaks as an alternative to Chapter markers
  • Being able to set Blockquotes with a button would be a nice alternative to margins as well
Create issues for these two, shouldn't be too hard to make them happen. In fact, the blockqoute buttons have WYSIWYG icons put aside already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if i understood correctly, the "chapter marker" inserted by sigil will result in a pagebreak on export in epub. is that what you are asking about ?
Yes, the chapter breaks create a pagebreak too.

Quote:
i am wondering if you have any plans to be able to show the css only either in a separate pane or a tab view or something ?
Create an issue. This is a bit of work so you won't see it soon. I also need to figure out how to present this feature to the user... maybe a "jump to styles" button? Press it once in code view, it sends you to the styles, press it once more it sends you back to where you were? Sound nice? Just something off the top of my head...

EDIT: Better yet, how about "View Sets"?. Multiple tabs, each can show a book view, a code view or a split view. All would be synchronized.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-04-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #125
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
i'd love to see these features as well. regarding creating the human-readable style names, you can modify the css yourself and put the name you want ; if you do this before applying the style too much it's very easy (if you've already applied the style eleventy million times, perhaps a bit of "search and replace" in an outside editor could be handy).
Well, since I'm working with format shifted content I don't have the luxury of doing this before the style has been applied too many times. Beyond that, Sigil seems create all it's own style machine readable names when it imports html, regardless of the original name of the style.

Quote:
The Chapter marker in Sigil is splitting the epub at those points if I understand things correctly. Page breaks on the other hand don't have to split the file, they're pure formatting. Also, if you use Chapter Marker for a page break then you need to go into the TOC editor to manually remove that item from the list of chapters.
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #126
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Chapter marker in Sigil is splitting the epub at those points if I understand things correctly. Page breaks on the other hand don't have to split the file, they're pure formatting. Also, if you use Chapter Marker for a page break then you need to go into the TOC editor to manually remove that item from the list of chapters.
Create an issue. I'll make a WYSIWYG action for a regular page break.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #127
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Create an issue. This is a bit of work so you won't see it soon. I also need to figure out how to present this feature to the user... maybe a "jump to styles" button? Press it once in code view, it sends you to the styles, press it once more it sends you back to where you were? Sound nice? Just something off the top of my head...

EDIT: Better yet, how about "View Sets"?. Multiple tabs, each can show a book view, a code view or a split view. All would be synchronized.
yes !! "view sets" sounds great. i would love to have a tab where i am looking at the css, and it doesn't move, and in my main tab i'll be looking at my html code. it would be brilliant. i'll mention this is my issue.

Quote:
Well, since I'm working with format shifted content I don't have the luxury of doing this before the style has been applied too many times. Beyond that, Sigil seems create all it's own style machine readable names when it imports html, regardless of the original name of the style.

ah, okay, i see what you mean (on both points). i didn't think of that.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #128
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many I can devote to Sigil. The features you requested sound nice and will probably get implemented with time, but bear in mind these would require a truly great deal of work and you're not likely to see them any time soon.

I'm sorry, but I am only one man.
No worries, I wasn't expecting anything immediate, consider it a compliment as to how impressed I am with Sigil in general that I wrote that much feedback. I'll open some of those items.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #129
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
yes !! "view sets" sounds great. i would love to have a tab where i am looking at the css, and it doesn't move, and in my main tab i'll be looking at my html code. it would be brilliant. i'll mention this is my issue.
It would be even better if you could hide or "fold" (as in vim) arbitrary parts of the source. You could thus hide "everything not CSS"

Quote:
Note that pagebreaks are not separate XHTML elements, but properties of existing elements. A title, a paragraph, a block, etc. can have "page-break-after" or "page-break-before" set to "always" or "avoid".
Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #130
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It would be even better if you could hide or "fold" (as in vim) arbitrary parts of the source. You could thus hide "everything not CSS"
yes, this could be useful, but i think i still prefer multiple separate views. maybe a combination of both ideas could be good.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #131
zelda_pinwheel

woo hoo ! the tab view is issue number

that's got to be lucky, right ? means it will shoot to the top of the list ? (after search and replace, obviously. )
Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #132
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
yes, this could be useful, but i think i still prefer multiple separate views. maybe a combination of both ideas could be good.
Yes, I meant a combination, you could hide different portions in different views.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #133
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, I meant a combination, you could hide different portions in different views.
seems like an elegant possible solution. do you want to add the comment to my issue ? (there is a link on the giant "42" in my post above).
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #134
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Those packages are already installed here.
Still no dice.
Install libqt4-xml too. I missed that one. You have my deepest apologies.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #135
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
I guess that I'm pretty slow and haven't learned to read.

Will someone please tell me how and where to add an issue.

Thanks,
Charlie
Closed Thread