Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Is the T2 Browser crippled?

If you look at Page 151 in the manual there is reference to a Web Browser and ability to use it for downloads etc.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PRST2.pdf

I want an e-ink book reader that I can use for occasional email access and web access. I realise that e-ink has slow refresh rates - but any refresh is better than none.

I have three email account and all can be accessed through a web browser when I don't have my normal email software at hand. Is there any reason why the T2 is not going to work for me?

EDIT.

I have just looked at the pdf of the Manual of the T1. Again it talks of Web Browsing. Is this crippled or can you pick any url you want?

Tony

Last edited by TonyGamble; 08-21-2012 at 03:35 AM.
TonyGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
On the T1, you can go to any URL you type in. I haven't seen the T2, but I suppose it will be the same.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
The browsers of PRS-T2 and PRS-T1 are the same. You can go to any website you'd like. The adressbar is still there.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been looking for a book reader I could use in the sunshine and, from time to time, check my emails and web browse sites like Tripadvisor to decide on a dinner venue.

On a separate thread we have been exploring the ramifications of rooting a T1 - but, as long as I don't want other Android facilities like maps, email readers, etc, and as long as I can use the web versions of my email accounts, an unrooted T1 seems quite capable of fitting my needs.

Tony
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post
I've been looking for a book reader I could use in the sunshine and, from time to time, check my emails and web browse sites like Tripadvisor to decide on a dinner venue.

On a separate thread we have been exploring the ramifications of rooting a T1 - but, as long as I don't want other Android facilities like maps, email readers, etc, and as long as I can use the web versions of my email accounts, an unrooted T1 seems quite capable of fitting my needs.

Tony
The web version of Gmail was, sadly, pretty useless on the T1 browser when I tried it. But in most other cases it's okay.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
One feature is better than other ereaders' browser. Double tap on screen, it will enlarge and reflow text to fit screen. Page up/down buttons also work better than finger swipe for me.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
One feature is better than other ereaders' browser. Double tap on screen, it will enlarge and reflow text to fit screen. Page up/down buttons also work better than finger swipe for me.
That's a big deal which makes the T1 browser unusable for me. Does anyone know if this can be achieved on the T1 via rooting?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
HughA
HughA began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Rizla
The T1 browser is the same as the T2, it supports the double tap without any need to root.
HughA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
TonyGamble
Groupie

I ordered a T1 yesterday and it has just arrived.

The browser works fine for me and (OK with a bit of difficulty) I can log into my emails via the web. Good enough for me for hols I think. Hols are for reading and not re-organising one's life.

Tony
Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
TonyGamble
Groupie

Just a further note to say that I took the plunge yesterday and rooted - using this guide:-

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184646

It worked a treat and I have now installed k-9 to read/write emails - which is does with ease and good visibility.

I have loaded Maxthon as a recommended browser and am learning its ins and outs.

Tony
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA View Post
Rizla
The T1 browser is the same as the T2, it supports the double tap without any need to root.
But it doesn't reflow text. It just zooms so I have to pan to the right several times just to read a sentence. Does the T2 browser reflow the text so I don't have to keep panning? And can it be done on the T1? Without this I find the T1 browser next to useless.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
HughA
HughA began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It reflows for me on the T1. I've just tried it again on the BBC News site and the double tap zooms and reflows. Maybe it depends on the site you are accesing?
HughA is offline   Reply With Quote