Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
desdemona
desdemona began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Please help me love my 360

Hello, all. I've been shopping for my first ereader for months, and thanks to this forum, found and fell in love with the idea of the pocketbook 360. I love that a company has made a "geek" friendly device (tons of features, highly customizable, broad format support, open source community, etc.) while paying a lot of attention to aesthetics.

With that said, now that I finally have it in my hands, I'm finding it hard to adjust to it. How in heaven's name do you hold it?? It's so tiny my fingers keep slipping over the screen or I grip it so hard my hand cramps up. I'm finding, too, that I can't use it one-handed. The buttons are hard for me to balance the reader and press at the same time. I have to hold the reader in one hand and press the buttons with the other. Do you eventually get used to it or did the people who love theirs know from the first moment they held them it was a good fit? Can someone give me some pointers for making it more comfortable?

Thanks in advance!
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
I usually just keep 4 fingers below it and support corner to center of my palm while I use thumb to push buttons. I found it easiest with lot of next buttons so now I got both big buttons and right of center button all configured to next page.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
celemark
Enthusiast
celemark doesn't littercelemark doesn't litter

Device: EBookwise-1150, PocketBook 360, Kindle 3 SO 3G, PocketBook Touch Lux 5
I purchased the "Comfort" package and the included wrist strap has been the most important part. With the strap, the majority of the 360s weight is supported by my wrist, so there's no need to grip the device. I can even "let go" of the 360 and it will remain in the basically the same position.
celemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I don't have any wrist strap or anything. I just hold it with four fingers on its back and so that my thumb is approximately on the center button, pretty much like Kameli, and I don't use the wing buttons save for going back to the main menu (which I do often as I adjust a lot of things). That way I can turn it in any direction and use it with any hand quite easily.

At any rate, one plus point of the PB360 is that you can toy with the button configuration until you find the one you like best. As you can see, people can have many sorts of configurations and be happy with them.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
I've found that I'm much more comfortable with it rotated 180 degrees - that is, with the "Pocketbook 360" logo upside down, and the buttons on the left instead of on the right. Perhaps it's just that, in this orientation, it much more closely resembles my long-time REB1100? In any case, while in this "upside down" mode I can hold it and use it left-handed (even though I'm a righty).

If you've got the accelerometer enabled, you can try holding it in any of the 4 directions, and the text should "reflow" to suit the orientation; maybe you will find some way that is more comfortable for you?

Once I settled on this way, I disabled the accelerometer and manually switched the unit into upside-down mode all the time.

Good luck!
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I hold it in my left (occasionally right) hand by the middle rocker button. I use that button to page back and forth. I agree that trying to use the wing buttons would probably be awkward.

Picture attached.

-Marcy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pb360.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	51285  
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I hold it in my left (occasionally right) hand by the middle rocker button. I use that button to page back and forth. I agree that trying to use the wing buttons would probably be awkward.

Picture attached.

-Marcy
I'm afraid I had to give it up. Holding it was fine, but pressing the buttons too much gave me carpal tunnel. I haven't used the 360 in 5 months now and my arm is almost back to normal.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It may be a hand size issue but I rest it on my little finger, with three fingers behind, and my thumb naturally rests on the center button with the PB360 in portrait mode. I can read for hours on end either right- or left-handed. No stress whatsoever.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I'm afraid I had to give it up. Holding it was fine, but pressing the buttons too much gave me carpal tunnel. I haven't used the 360 in 5 months now and my arm is almost back to normal.
Hmm. So, are you looking to sell it?? I'm in the market for a spare. Or trade for a PRS-600?

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
If hitting the page turn button was the problem, you might try GranNM's fbreader. I turns just by tilting the reader. I have a PB 302 and the turn functionality doesn't work quite as well as the PB 360. You can find the reader and discussion in this thread. You won't find a good download link until post #27 but can download it here. This app turns a good reader into a great reader.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
If hitting the page turn button was the problem, you might try GranNM's fbreader. I turns just by tilting the reader. I have a PB 302 and the turn functionality doesn't work quite as well as the PB 360. You can find the reader and discussion in this thread. You won't find a good download link until post #27 but can download it here. This app turns a good reader into a great reader.
That's exactly what I do.
I find the buttons for turning pages a disaster - both esthatically and ergonomically.
But turning pages by briefly moving your wrist works like a charme.
I've got mine about 2 weeks ago and the respective version of FBReader came pre-installed.
The only downside: FBReader doesn't process DRMed files.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I frequently read lying on the side, with PB360 supported on pillow or mattress.
When I read in sitting position I often hold the device in both hands. I have configured three buttons (two big buttons and right button) to do the page turning, and I use all the buttons depending on my hands position. I change position of my hands relatively often.
Try to change hands from time to time. It is very quick and easy to rotate the screen.
Try the version of FBReader that lets you turn pages by tilting the device.

Please notice. There are two points for attaching of the wrist leash at the back of the device. Try to manufacture a wide elastic band that would attach to those two points and will be stretched on the backside of PocketBook body - just "below" the buttons. You can then slide your fingers underneath, similar to the way cameras are usually held to your hand. I have seen an early video when one of the designers showed that it is intended to work like this. Even the cover can be clipped on the back of the device without interfering with the described elastic band.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I frequently read lying on the side, with PB360 supported on pillow or mattress.
When I read in sitting position I often hold the device in both hands. I have configured three buttons (two big buttons and right button) to do the page turning, and I use all the buttons depending on my hands position. I change position of my hands relatively often.
Try to change hands from time to time. It is very quick and easy to rotate the screen.
Try the version of FBReader that lets you turn pages by tilting the device.

Please notice. There are two points for attaching of the wrist leash at the back of the device. Try to manufacture a wide elastic band that would attach to those two points and will be stretched on the backside of PocketBook body - just "below" the buttons. You can then slide your fingers underneath, similar to the way cameras are usually held to your hand. I have seen an early video when one of the designers showed that it is intended to work like this. Even the cover can be clipped on the back of the device without interfering with the described elastic band.
That's exactly the way I hold MM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzs View Post
I've found that I'm much more comfortable with it rotated 180 degrees - that is, with the "Pocketbook 360" logo upside down, and the buttons on the left instead of on the right.

Good luck!
This is how I read as well 90% of the time. I have the wing buttons set to page forward and have zero issues using the wing buttons.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
I also have both wing buttons set to "next page", and I find that most of the time I hold the reader so that it is cradled in my entire hand, with my thumb resting against the top wing button. I will switch from left to right hand but 75% of the time I'm using the top button to change the page.

Also, if you are sitting at a table or lying in bed, it is surprisingly comfortable to have the reader on its side with the buttons along the top. I find reading to be a little easier with the sideways orientation because there are fewer line breaks.
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote