Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Plugin Updater

Every time a plugin is updated the user must once again select the toolbars and menus in which the plugin is required, or in which it is not required.

Would it be possible for plugins to retain what's already there. Similar to what the calibre Windows install does with install location, Start Menu and Desktop shortcuts. and adding calibre to the PATH environment variable - set and forget.

I'm hoping this could be done globally, i.e within the code shared by all plugins - if not, then double Ψ²

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know, updating plugins does not require you to reset their plugins/toolbars. Only uninstalling and re-installing would do that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As far as I know, updating plugins does not require you to reset their plugins/toolbars. Only uninstalling and re-installing would do that.
I don't have any tools or plugins in toolbars or in menu bars**. I use keyboard shortcuts wherever I can, otherwise everything is in the context menus, or in the Favourites Menu (which is in the context menus).

Whenever I update a plugin, I have to unselect it from its default selections (usually main & main with device toolbars). Irritating to have to do that every time and if I forget or miskey the dialogue I then I have to remove the icons from those toolbars.

** I have Preferences in the main menu, but only because I can't not have it. Ctrl+P is plenty good enough for me

Next time I get a PI update notification I'll post screen shots - I'm pretty sure it happens on any PI. There's a change in wind for Modify so shouldn't be long.

- maybe it only happens because I always deselect the defaults - more or less on principle

BR
Old 12-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
BetterRed, it does not happen with all the plugins. I don't know the difference but...
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
BetterRed, it does not happen with all the plugins. I don't know the difference but...
Thanks TdeM, so it is inconsistent - I wondered about that!

Can you name one of PIs where the original selection sticks. Preferably one I don't use - see attachment.

It may not be relevant, but I remove the defaults at initial install time, and add to Context or Favourites menu after the install restart, so that I can explicitly set the position -- to minimise arrow key presses, the most often used are close to top or bottom, and least often are in the middle :

I guess most folks blithely accept the defaults.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	160726  
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have Kobo Utilities (that I update), Goodreads_Sync and so on, and none of them asks for it (Kobo Utilities is at the toolbar, but Goodreads_Sync is at context or Favorites). EPubSplit, however, asks the location, yes (that's the exception for me).
Old 12-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator

I'm not inclined to install GR Synch (don't have an account), nor do I have or want a Kobo.

But, if the PIs don't have a uniform behaviour, that suggests that this aspect of PI updating is not handled by a single set of shared functions. In which case my wish to have all PI's conform to a single behaviour is probably not worth pursuing - herding cats and all that. San Fairy Anne.

BR
Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I accept than I'm quite tolerant with that kind of behavior, I accept the plugin as I am... unless I modify them for myself, of course
Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

BTW, I don't remember Overdrive behaving in that way either, although that I have it in the menu.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I only remember some asking (w/suggestions) what toolbar (I use Menu, Top and Second) upon initial install.
IIRC un-installing the PI and later installation, the Icons land again, at their old places.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never had to put the icon(s) back where they were when I updated any plugin. The only time I've had to setup the icon(s) is when initially installing the plugin.

BetterRed, are you uninstalling the plugin and then installing again to update?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

It is not necessary. EpubSplit asks every time you update it.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never had to put the icon(s) back where they were when I updated any plugin. The only time I've had to setup the icon(s) is when initially installing the plugin.

BetterRed, are you uninstalling the plugin and then installing again to update?
Just to avoid confusion.
It remembers where they were, not put them in the default location.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It is not necessary. EpubSplit asks every time you update it.
It has been a long time since I had a plugin ask to select menu location. Epub split updated 2 weeks ago and I don't recall it asking. If it did maybe I simply ignored or closed the dialog because I knew the menu location would not change. All I know for certain is I did not have to choose the location again for epub split.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Devs: What is the trigger to ask (what is detected to bypass the question)
Maybe the PI has not ever been configured (or the config folder/plugins entry deleted)