Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Cost of eBooks vs dead-tree books

Something confusing. eBooks seem they should be cheaper - the costs tend to be one-time to produce the file, and then whatever costs there are to host the file on a web-server (or letting Amazon/Kobo do it and take a cut).

Seems like it'd be less than printing the book and handling the logistics of getting it out to the retailer.

Still, the eBooks are commonly more expensive. What gives?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You don't think the author should be compensated?

On Amazon the Kindle books are rarely more expensive than the printed books.

Also, with printed books the publisher controls the price, with ebooks I think the price is more under the author's control.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
How many threads have we had on this subject?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Something confusing. eBooks seem they should be cheaper - the costs tend to be one-time to produce the file, and then whatever costs there are to host the file on a web-server (or letting Amazon/Kobo do it and take a cut).

Seems like it'd be less than printing the book and handling the logistics of getting it out to the retailer.

Still, the eBooks are commonly more expensive. What gives?
Just speaking theoretically, why should something’s being cheaper to produce mean it sells for less? Suppose people are willing to pay even more for ebooks (as it seems they are, according to your postulate). Why not charge what the market will bear?

Books are fungible, but they’re not all that fungible. It’s not like selling spuds.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Also, with printed books the publisher controls the price, with ebooks I think the price is more under the author's control.
Actually, (at least in the US) dead tree books the retailer pays wholesale and the retailer charges whatever they want, for the most part, the publisher sets eBook prices thanks to Apple illegally colluding with publishers back in the day.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
You don't think the author should be compensated?

On Amazon the Kindle books are rarely more expensive than the printed books.

What does charging more for an ebook that a paperback have to do with the author's compensation? Or is this just a red herring?

If you are talking about indie publishing, the author has more control though Amazon has some nasty habits when it comes to sales and prices. For the Big 4/5 and their cousins, the royalties are set in the contract but the prices are under the publisher's control.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
And how many pages in each thread? (for a given definition of "page", of course)
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
And how many pages in each thread? (for a given definition of "page", of course)
Too many threads with too many pages no matter how you define a page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My standard response: I value ebooks more, so I refuse to compare their prices to the price of a format I value much less.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My standard response: I value ebooks more, so I refuse to compare their prices to the price of a format I value much less.
I don't even look at paper book prices. But I have a hard limit to how much I'm willing to pay for an ebook. 10 €, no more. More than this, I just wait for the price to drop.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm fine with the retail prices. The time I spend with (and the enjoyment I derive from) a good book more than justifies the cost. Compared to some of my other vices, real ebooks are still a bargain--even at retail prices.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Yeah, publishers are ripping readers off. Assume the position.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 12-25-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just speaking theoretically, why should something’s being cheaper to produce mean it sells for less?
Because with the current 'only paying for a license' crap, the value of an ebook is actually less than the paper book.

The publisher can't legally break into your house and take back a paper book. But they can revoke your access to the eBook at any time for any reason and there's not much you can do about it (aside from making a non-DRM'd backup, which is a legally grey area in some regions).
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:03 AM   #14
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
It's just a curiosity and it has no statistical value but I took the ranking of the 20 best-selling books in Italy according to the publisher Feltrinelli and I made the comparison between the price of paper books and that of ebooks.

Apart from a book that did not have an ebook, there are 19 left. I also removed Moby Dick of Herman Mellville which I found surprisingly in the ranking because I wanted to compare only new books and there are 18.

The average price of paper books is € 19.73, for ebooks it is € 11.71 that is 59.33%. I don't know if it is too high, however I rarely find an ebook whose price is higher of the price of paper book. Of course, in other countries the situation may be different.

Last edited by ps67; 12-26-2020 at 02:57 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:40 AM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Too many threads with too many pages no matter how you define a page.
What's fascinating is that no matter how many times it's been debunked, people still make the same bogus assertions. It's purely an emotional response where facts don't matter in the slightest.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote