Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
What font are you using for what type of book?

Hi,
The title of the thread explains the question roughly.
For me, I use something like Tribute Roman, EB Garamond, Caslon or Crimson Pro for things like Lovecraft or horror/Sci-Fi books, and something like Bookerly or Caecilia for other subjects books.
I may as well change fonts while reading while one annoys me too much, or while it seems unclear (I have very sharp eyes, and I hope they'll sell devices with 500 ppi screens soon).

And you?
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Hi,
The title of the thread explains the question roughly.
For me, I use something like Tribute Roman, EB Garamond, Caslon or Crimson Pro for things like Lovecraft or horror/Sci-Fi books, and something like Bookerly or Caecilia for other subjects books.
I may as well change fonts while reading while one annoys me too much, or while it seems unclear (I have very sharp eyes, and I hope they'll sell devices with 500 ppi screens soon).

And you?
Personally, I tend to use one font for most books. If I need more glyphs where a book for example uses multiple quotes in Greek or Enochian, I will switch fonts. Most fonts that are not intended for eInk tend to be too light so I will use the demi-bold variants or manually modify the font which is not all that much fun.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, I tend to use one font for most books. If I need more glyphs where a book for example uses multiple quotes in Greek or Enochian, I will switch fonts. Most fonts that are not intended for eInk tend to be too light so I will use the demi-bold variants or manually modify the font which is not all that much fun.
I tend to use Crimson Pro for my daily readings when Bookerly annoys me. I like Cormorant but it's WAAAY too light for me. In semi-bold, it looks strange. Crimson Pro look like it's been optimized for eInk.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
My preferences are not related to genres but to kind of file.

Bookerly is my preferred font for Epub (with some exploration of Literata and Georgia Pro).

For Kepub I currently use Roboto Slab (alternatives are Bitter and Lexia Dama).
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Accidental double post when trying to edit the original post. Sorry.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-04-2020 at 03:04 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
And you?
Almost exclusively Constantia for all devices (that allow side-loaded fonts) and all books. Even on the readers that won't allow side-loaded fonts, I'll often embed Constantia into the book via Calibre.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
My preferences are not related to genres but to kind of file.
Bookerly is my preferred font for Epub (with some exploration of Literata and Georgia Pro).
For Kepub I currently use Roboto Slab (alternatives are Bitter and Lexia Dama).
I agree. Roboto Slab. Is a good font. I also have Bitter in my Libra. I switch between fonts often, I may have about 30 on my device.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Almost exclusively Constantia for all devices (that allow side-loaded fonts) and all books. Even on the readers that won't allow side-loaded fonts, I'll often embed Constantia into the book via Calibre.
Constantia seems to be a good choice. It wouldn't be my first, though, but everyone has its preferences!
Instead of Constantia I'd use Athelas, for my part.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My font preferences vary not according to genres, but according to ereaders. I use CharisSIL Modified Larger on my Kindles, LexiaDaMa on my Kobo and DejaVu Serif Eink (modified by a MR member) on my Nook.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I mostly use the ChareInk font for eBook with words.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I use the IBM Plex Serif Semi Bold for everything. I really like the Plex and the weight of the semi-bold.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I use the IBM Plex Serif Semi Bold for everything. I really like the Plex and the weight of the semi-bold.
That's a pretty good looking font. Do you use IBM Plex Sans for sans-serif?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
NiMa
Evangelist

IBM Plex Sans and Serif are pretty good fonts, just maybe... a little bit... harsh.
But it looks beautiful, though.
Plex Serif seems to be a strange mix between classic serif fonts and modern Sans Serif fonts, but it looks OK.
Plex Sans is great, only in my Kobo I have some problems with the weight, the font always showing in "light" forms instead of "Regular".
However, with Plato or KOReader, this solves a part of the problem.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Plex Sans is great, only in my Kobo I have some problems with the weight, the font always showing in "light" forms instead of "Regular".
However, with Plato or KOReader, this solves a part of the problem.
Kobo is very capricious in regard to fonts. I had to edit many of my custom fonts with FontForge, otherwise Kobo didn't display them correctly.

Well, Kindles are capricious too, but a bit less than a Kobo.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
These are all for the body font of course.

For Westerns I use either Rye or Ewert:

If the setting is Hawaii or the South Pacific then Hanalei:

For horror, Creepster:

For cozy mysteries then Mystery Quest is the best:

Last edited by hobnail; 08-04-2020 at 07:25 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote