Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Peace Talks - possible spoilers - you have been warned

Surprised that no one else started the thread, maybe I'm just a fast reader, or maybe it's good to be retired.

I thought the book started a bit slow, but got back in stride after the whole harry Dresden Daddy thing. David Weber went through the same thing. It makes me wonder if Jim Butcher has something going on in his personal life with regards to kids.

There were a couple of things that I thought were a bit forced. The Harry verses Ebenezer thing felt forced to me. I kept thinking that we would find out that Ebenezer had been bespelled, maybe we will.

It's going to be interesting to see what part the Knights of the Cross play. Obviously, they will figure in somehow.

All in all, I enjoyed the book. I did read it fairly quickly. It wasn't Harry Potter good, where I stayed up all night reading, but pretty solid. I'm going to give it a week or so before listening to the audiobook. I find that I frequently pick up on things in the audiobook that I missed in the ebook.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Have read only your last paragraph. The plan was to read the book in two days flat, but when for me, the hype bubble burst, I decided to bear with only one chapter per day. I have given Dresden books 1 star in the past. A couple of times. And this book, IMHO, is cut from that same cloth.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Surprised that no one else started the thread, maybe I'm just a fast reader, or maybe it's good to be retired.
Yeah, the retired part must be it. I am only about 2/3 through as of right now. It appears to be not that much stuff happening.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Have read only your last paragraph. The plan was to read the book in two days flat, but when for me, the hype bubble burst, I decided to bear with only one chapter per day. I have given Dresden books 1 star in the past. A couple of times. And this book, IMHO, is cut from that same cloth.
Can't say that I've ever read a book that I would have given it 1 star. I've started some, but why waste time reading something you don't like?

I certainly liked the book a lot more that Ghost Stories. I think that I'm going to have to read Battleground before giving Peace Talks it's final grade.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yeah, the retired part must be it. I am only about 2/3 through as of right now. It appears to be not that much stuff happening.
I keep going back to my comparison between this and the In Enemy's Hands/Echo's of Honor book pair from the Weber's Honor Harrington series. I think there are things being set up for the second book, the question is what is being set up and what is the resolution. The whole issue with Thomas and why he did what he did. The conflict between Harry and his grandfather. How do the Knights of the Cross figure into the resolution? How about the artifacts?

Peace Talks is obviously a set up book, setting the stage for Battleground. My personal feeling is that enough happened to hold my interested such that I read the book in one day.
Advert
Old 07-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
To me this felt like half a book when they announced a 2nd book I thought maybe it ran to long so they decided to chop it in 2 and after finishing it I am sure of it.

Spoiler:
As far as Ebenezer thing goes without knowing what he has against the white court exactly we can't understand him maybe it will be revealed in the next book. I think this story line and some of the passages in it are trying to show Harry growing to accept the fact that he will be the point man against the outsiders and to accept he is more powerful than he assumes ie more powerful than the most powerful wizard to Dresden his grandfather
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Can't say that I've ever read a book that I would have given it 1 star. I've started some, but why waste time reading something you don't like?

I certainly liked the book a lot more that Ghost Stories. I think that I'm going to have to read Battleground before giving Peace Talks it's final grade.
The only reason I am reading is because there are potentially great Dresden books in the future and I want to know what happens here so I don't feel stranded.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe it is fair to say that the short story Christmas Eve, which was planned to happen after Peace Talks, will be after Battle Ground. There hasn't been a need for the reparations to humans in Peace Talks. Another part that was in Peace Talks, which may or may not happen in Battle Ground. Since it hasn't happened yet, probably needs a spoiler:

Spoiler:

Jim Butcher hinted at some point that he was writing Murphy's funeral, presumably Karrin. Given her bad physical shape and stubbornness in Peace Talks, she might die in next book. Hopefully it will be meaningful and not some freak accident.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A question. From the book:

Quote:
The guard stepped back with a Grimace and said "watch that Freydis, man. She'll gut you as soon as look at you."

"spoken like a 3" I said. He looked confused. I kept moving.
What does the "spoken like a 3" refer to?

Edit: fixed "at 3" to "a 3".

Last edited by John F; 07-24-2020 at 04:49 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Didn't ring a bell. The only thing, far stretched, could be parody from Back to the Future where Bill Biff says "Make like a tree!"

Edit: his name was Biff, not Bill. And the full sentence: "Make like a tree and leave!" If Jim Butcher was referring to that, he would probably use the whole quote. So probably not that.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 07-24-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Edit: fixed "at 3" to "a 3".
I should have googled it. I must have been reading that part to fast and missed the earlier reference.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I should have googled it. I must have been reading that part to fast and missed the earlier reference.
Did you find a reference? Because I am still clueless. The only other explanation I have is, that it was meant to be confusing and senseless. When I read it, I was like, huh, what does that mean? And then Harry just explains it in passing. Took it to mean that Jim Butcher hasn't lost his snark powers.

Edit: unless you mean this: https://amp.reddit.com/r/dresdenfile...t_a_reference/ ?

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 07-24-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #13
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Freydis raised Harry from a 3 to a 6...

Edit> (after they danced at the reception IIRC)

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 07-25-2020 at 08:17 AM.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Did you find a reference? Because I am still clueless. The only other explanation I have is, that it was meant to be confusing and senseless. When I read it, I was like, huh, what does that mean? And then Harry just explains it in passing. Took it to mean that Jim Butcher hasn't lost his snark powers.

Edit: unless you mean this: https://amp.reddit.com/r/dresdenfile...t_a_reference/ ?
Yeah, when I googled it, I came across Reddit, which explained it.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #15
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Was the starborn reference in one of the other books? I don't recall it, but I haven't read them in a while.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote