Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm not a writer, but I am a storyteller of sorts - I use either a Blackwing pencil or a extra-fine tipped fountain pen to write out all of my trial preparation for court.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
OK Rumpole!
or are you more like Perry Mason?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #18
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
OK Rumpole!
I loathe most fictional attorneys, honestly. I would burn every John Grisham novel in sight if I could.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ha!

Though his novels are not in the Rumpole or Mason Mold. Some admittedly have legal folk as a MC. I got tired of them, but it did seem that he has a sort of social conscience.

Indeed I worked in Electronics, IT and Programming for many years and I can't stand most films with that. Hacking or programs that would take a year done in minutes. Advanced tech developed by one person in a week. So I can understand your view point.

Oh, and avoid Cabot Cove or Midsommer Village.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I loathe most fictional attorneys, honestly. I would burn every John Grisham novel in sight if I could.
Let's face it, if someone wrote a novel with a real attorney's typical workload as the focus, the average reader would be unconscious inside of 40 minutes. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Let's face it, if someone wrote a novel with a real attorney's typical workload as the focus, the average reader would be unconscious inside of 40 minutes. :-)

Hitch
If that resulted in death, wouldn't that be manslaughter?

Quick, is there an attorney at M̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ Mobileread?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariopepper View Post
By the way, writers.. do you use etc in your writings/essays? It's important for my future novel.
Do you mean, in narrative? Or do you mean as something a character says?

Hitch
Old 10-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
OK Rumpole!
I would say more like Matlock.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Oh, and avoid Cabot Cove or Midsommer Village.
Also stay away from Saint Marie.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If that resulted in death, wouldn't that be manslaughter?

Quick, is there an attorney at M̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ Mobileread?
Well, if someone voluntarily sits down to read it, I'd say that is contributory negligence. Also, its rather like Russian Roulette - you take the risk so you can't blame someone else for it.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also stay away from Saint Marie.
Y'know, it's funny; I was looking at a home at the next island over from the faux "St. Marie," lol (which is really the French island of Guadeloupe).

Hitch
Old 10-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Yes, in narrative. I tried to find exactly about using etc in narratives, but found only <spam link> and I'm not sure if rules are the same for narrative. Your thoughts?
I think that's not bad advice. I think it's poor in dialogue unless it fits the character of the speaker and is probably wrong in narration. Also different cultures may have a phrase that indicates there are more items.

Anything is possible in dialogue, if it's in character.

Last edited by issybird; 10-28-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thank you. I was interested to solve this because some more experienced writers who I've been talking to told me that using etc is necessary for any novel writing/narrative. I will try to use it correctly this time.
Why not spell out "et cetera" in narrative?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thank you. I was interested to solve this because some more experienced writers who I've been talking to told me that using etc is necessary for any novel writing/narrative. I will try to use it correctly this time.
I would need more information. If you mean that you are writing a non-fiction book, that would contain narrative elements like lists, then I see no reason not to use "etc." I mean, obviously, not overmuch, but sure, it can shortcut longer lists.

However, I can see almost no reason why it would be used in the narrative for a novel. As the narrator of the tale, either as the omniscient narrator or close first and the like, in what context would you say "etc."? The narrator, unless first person probably isn't "talking to" the reader directly and listing things, right?

I'm envisioning something along the lines of "'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, etc., must be in want of a wife." Loses something with the addition, no?

Or for TTM..."When D'artagnan, Artemis, etc., went to Ghent..."

You just wouldn't. Maybe I've simply absorbed it (or it's invisible, like 'said') and moved on, but I did a quick search of the last five novels I've read and didn't see "etc" outside of a character's dialogue.

Hitch
Old 10-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #30
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
For the most part, I write with either a Mechanical Pencil or a Rollerball Pen. Which I use will depend on the writing I'm doing.

For a Pencil, I use a Kuro Toga 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil with HB/#2 Lead. I used to use 2B Lead but found that it often breaks due to its softness. Since moving to HB I've only had a Lead break once (when I extended the Lead too far from its tip). While it gives a good solid line, I can also erase it cleanly if I need to. One great feature of the Kuro Toga is that it rotates the Lead as you are writing, it rotates every time the you put the Pencil Tip on the Paper so you never get a chisel tip in regular writing.

For a pen, I use a Uni-Ball Roller 0.5mm Rollerball Pen. I found that it gives a smooth and thin line that I prefer to write with (it writes about as smooth as a fountain pen). Plus, its ink is permanent. I started using them when I heard about check washing, where with some types of inks (such as Ballpoint Ink) you can remove the ink from paper by using certain chemicals.

For the most part, I prefer to write in pencil. I recently started using a Disc Bound Planner and only write in it using a Pencil so I can make changes/corrections if I need to. Due to this, I use thicker paper in my planner (32 pound) because it is easier to write on and it is more durable. I've found that 20 pound paper is just too thin both for writing and for putting in my planner (after punching the paper it often breaks out of the planner). For me, 20 pound paper is only okay for single-side printing in a laser printer.

Concerning writing, I prefer to do all of my writing in a disc bound type binder. Disc bound binders have the following advantages:
  • It will lay on a Table/Desk/Counter flat whether it is open, closed, or folded back on itself.
  • You can add/remove/reorder Pages as needed.
  • There are a large variety of sizes available (my planner is a half-letter size (5.5 inches by 8.5 inches) which is right for me), and you can also choose from several sizes of discs (0.5 inch, 1 inch, 1.5 inches) so that can make it thicker if you need to.
  • The parts (such binder covers, discs, inserts) are fairly standard so you can mix them among different companies. While most of my binder is from TUL, the discs are from Staples. Plus, you can easily print your own Inserts if you need to (although you will need a Disc Bound Paper Punch to punch them so you can insert them into your Binder). This allows you to put just about anything in your Planner.

If I do need to make something permanent that I wrote in pencil, I just make a copy. Once I had only one copy of a form, so I wrote it out in pencil and when I was finished I made a copy of it to send out.

Generally, unless I need to write something permanent on an original (like when writing checks) I do all of my writing in pencil. For me, it is more convenient.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pencil and paper, writing