Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
kcladyz
I love my parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Does anyone own more than 1 oasis ( for themselves not family)

I thought about getting one in the silver since I have the gold. I feel like a weirdo and don’t want to be the only one. Lol

Last edited by kcladyz; 01-06-2019 at 06:19 PM.
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
The gold one is a 32gb model, and $299, so no, I just have the graphite one. I don't see silver as a choice.

I have mine in a cover with a matching skin. I'll snap a pic...

I'm having trouble editing and adding the second pic. I get a blank browser for some reason.

Anyway, the skin is just like the cover, and I have the back skin on the inside of the front flap of the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC1A43F3-AF7F-44DE-8059-0664314B1119.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	168881  

Last edited by Deskisamess; 01-06-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
kcladyz
I love my parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I paid $270 for the champagne gold
Old 01-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #4
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I have one and I won't buy another. Battery life is terrible.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
kcladyz
I love my parrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I have one and I won't buy another. Battery life is terrible.

I know. My Gold needs charged twice a week and this is when I do not use it. When I had the silver one I could go almost 2 weeks without charging. I wonder if the Oasis will get the power save option, like the PW4 has, in a future update.
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Lol, not a single Oasis (not my cup of tea) but I do have multiple Paperwhites and iPads. If it had been, I'm sure I'd have at least two of the Oasis as well.

It's nice to have backup devices to use while the other is charging.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
My feelings (and situation) exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, not a single Oasis (not my cup of tea) but I do have multiple Paperwhites and iPads. If it had been, I'm sure I'd have at least two of the Oasis as well.

It's nice to have backup devices to use while the other is charging.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
No, but I will probably buy another if or when they update the current model in some way. The comfort light doesn't interest me, so I hope there will be other kinds of improvements...

I don't really see a point of buying two devices of the exact same model. I still have my Voyage and the 2016 Oasis in perfect working order, they would do nicely if I needed a backup device.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #9
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I wonder if the Oasis will get the power save option, like the PW4 has, in a future update.
It already does, except there is no option to turn it off.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
kcladyz
I love my parrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

Where
Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Where
I think @j.p.s meant that the deep power save was default behavior on the Oasis with no option to turn it off.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
If I use the Screen Off option on the Oasis, instead of just closing the Smart Cover, the battery doesn't expend as quickly. Especially overnight.

I agree the battery life is dismal, but it's not a problem for me. I just plug it in every 3-4 days to top it off. I keep the screen light all the way up when reading during the day, and that really chews up battery life.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
Tuneraider
Tuneraider began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo AuraV2, H2OV2, Kindle PW2&3, Voyage, Oasis2
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
j.p.s,

Were you able to test the frontlight vs battery usage on the Oasis like you did on the Voyage? thx
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
j.p.s,

Were you able to test the frontlight vs battery usage on the Oasis like you did on the Voyage? thx
Yes, but I could not get consistent or repeatable results, and put trying to measure it aside for other activities. I think the battery usage on the Oasis 2 is very variable, even under steady conditions. I'll try to make time to write up what I have, but it will be a while.

The summary for now is that below 8 or so, it is very hard to see any difference between light on and off. Above 10, battery usage goes up a lot with each step.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
dublincheri
Connoisseur
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I must admit that yes, I am the owner of both the graphite and champagne Oasis 2. Then when I saw the Paperwhite 4 I had to have one of those as well. The first Oasis is my daytime reader, the champagne Oasis was my reader for bed but really I prefer the smaller PW to read on at night. Now, unless I find another location for it, I have a rarely used Oasis!

Last edited by dublincheri; 01-07-2019 at 02:11 PM.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote