Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I am sorry that you are affected by this bug, Corpsegoddess. But I am surprised that you were willing to go through the firmware downgrade, just to keep using the SD card.

Storing few books in reader internal flash is simply not an option?
It is, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a short-term solution. I bought the 32-GIG so I can have access to my entire library. It was working fine before the firmware upgrade (which now seems to affect my Aura as well), so I'm hoping they come up with a fix for it.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you are having the same problem on the Aura, maybe look at that particular SD card not working yet with the FW or perhaps being somehow crapped out. It may be that you can use your 32 Gig SanDisk in the future, but for now, maybe try one of the ones I have working on all of my devices. I have a SanDisk 4 Gig, class 4 and an Adata 16 GiG, class 10.

Remember my busted cat cable?--still could be .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Further update--I plugged my micro SD directly into my PC, wiped it and reformatted it. When I inserted it into the Aura, it started up normally; of course, there's nothing on it at the moment.

Now the Aura's doing something VERY weird--the home screen flickers, goes blank, then brings up the normal homescreen again. I can't access the menu or anything. It's like it's trying to read the card, but is having problems.

Okay, factory reset time.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If you are having the same problem on the Aura, maybe look at that particular SD card not working yet with the FW or perhaps being somehow crapped out. It may be that you can use your 32 Gig SanDisk in the future, but for now, maybe try one of the ones I have working on all of my devices. I have a SanDisk 4 Gig, class 4 and an Adata 16 GiG, class 10.

Remember my busted cat cable?--still could be .
Yep, definitely could be the card. I'm experimenting with that at the moment.

If it still doesn't work after this reset, I'm going to throw in the towel on the 32-GIG for now and probably use another card. I think I have one lying around here somewhere.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Okay, factory reset time.
You probably know this, but I have goofed up with it even though I know it, do not do a factory reset with the sd card in place. You can do updates with the card inserted, just not the factory resets.
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
You probably know this, but I have goofed up with it even though I know it, do not do a factory reset with the sd card in place. You can do updates with the card inserted, just not the factory resets.
Yes--thank you. I always remove it as a matter of course.

The one thing I didn't do before was the set-up with it SD card in, so we'll try that.

Thank you, Taming. You're very patient and very helpful. As always.

Update: Did a factory reset, put my blank and reformatted card in, restarted and no problems. Now, I'll load it up and see if that changes.

Still not positively indicative of whether or not it was my card or the firmware; the fact that other people have experienced this makes me lean towards the firmware. But I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 05-30-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing you might try is to use the SD Associations reformat tool; see SD Formatter 3.1 for SD/SDHC/SDXC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One thing you might try is to use the SD Associations reformat tool; see SD Formatter 3.1 for SD/SDHC/SDXC.
That is what I use to reformat. Version 4 for me. It's hard to tell if it is a FW issue when not many folks are reporting a problem.

Peter, you may remember how stinky/loud/annoying/persistent I was about a WiFi connection problem that was not seen by very many people and it really WAS a FW issue. After that fiasco, I never assume...
Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
That is what I use to reformat. Version 4 for me. It's hard to tell if it is a FW issue when not many folks are reporting a problem.

Peter, you may remember how stinky/loud/annoying/persistent I was about a WiFi connection problem that was not seen by very many people and it really WAS a FW issue. After that fiasco, I never assume...
What I'm wondering is if the FW somehow borked my card. Like I mentioned, I did the update via my PC, ejected and unplugged my Kobo, and it was working fine then (as far I as I could tell). It was only after my initial powerdown/up after the FW update that things started to go wonky.

And there's the fact that my experience sounds exactly like the other David's, who posted at the beginning of this thread. Kind of weird that both of our cards would poop out in the same way at the same time...
Old 05-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I don't know. We may never know. Let's see though if there is some way to get you up and running with a working SD card. I know that is possible .
Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Okay, so latest update:

Did a factory reset (sans SD card). Put the blank, reformatted card back in, Aura started up with no problems. Did the setup via my PC and Kobo desktop, also with card in. Ejected Aura, let it update, then powered off and on. No issues.

I just reloaded the blank, formatted SD card with my library (exactly how it was before the FW update), ejected and let that process. Then I powered down and back on again.

And now I'm back to exactly where I was before--frozen on the square dancing.

So, I'm thinking it's not the card, but something in the FW that's causing this problem. It has no problem seeing the card or the books on it when it's plugged in after the initial setup with the Kobo desktop, or when it processed the card contents--as long as I don't shut it off.

It's that initial powerdown and up that seems to cause the problem.

In the meantime, I'm just going to have to load my books directly onto the Aura or try another card.

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 05-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Okay, so latest update:

Did a factory reset (sans SD card). Put the blank, reformatted card back in, Aura started up with no problems. Did the setup via my PC and Kobo desktop, also with card in. Ejected Aura, let it update, then powered off and on. No issues.

I just reloaded the blank, formatted SD card with my library (exactly how it was before the FW update), ejected and let that process. Then I powered down and back on again.

And now I'm back to exactly where I was before--frozen on the square dancing.

So, I'm thinking it's not the card, but something in the FW that's causing this problem. It has no problem seeing the card or the books on it when it's plugged in after the initial setup with the Kobo desktop, or when it processed the card contents--as long as I don't shut it off

It's that initial powerdown and up that seems to cause the problem.

In the meantime, I'm just going to have to load my books directly onto the Aura or try another card.
I've tried 4 different cards and the behaviour is the same. This weekend, I'm going to be copying my library over in chunks to see if it is triggered when the number of files (ebooks, covers, etc.) exceeds a maximum level.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've tried 4 different cards and the behaviour is the same. This weekend, I'm going to be copying my library over in chunks to see if it is triggered when the number of files (ebooks, covers, etc.) exceeds a maximum level.

Regards,
David
Hrm. That's good to know, about trying the different cards. Saves me the time and trouble.

I'll do the same and copy over my library as well. Then we can compare notes.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I had issues trying to load 600 books at once. All good files--they had been on another card. I broke them into lots of 100, letting them process inbetween batches, and all was well. It would be good to know if it does involve the number being added. Maybe this is a driver issue. I'll PM davidfor to look at the thread.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #30
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
I had issues trying to load 600 books at once. All good files--they had been on another card. I broke them into lots of 100, letting them process inbetween batches, and all was well. It would be good to know if it does involve the number being added. Maybe this is a driver issue. I'll PM davidfor to look at the thread.
Just for a baseline--I had around 1500 books on my SD and previous to my FW update the other day, the only issue I ever encountered was that after powerup, my Kobo didn't seem to "see" the books on the card until I put it into sleep mode and then out again. Other than that, no problems.

...just loaded 279 books directly onto the Aura--no problems starting up whatsover. I'm going to keep adding more piecemeal and see if I get any issues.

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 05-30-2013 at 08:08 PM.