Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
et1976
et1976 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the battery replaceable on a 600?

Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find it anywhere. Is it possible to replace the battery on a 600 (either yourself or by sending it to Sony) if it needs a new one in a few years?

thanks.
et1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
While it's not officially user replaceable, opening the 600 is very easy (just two screws) and the battery is immediately accessible.
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs600.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	39598
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Officially, it has to be replaced by Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
While it's not officially user replaceable, opening the 600 is very easy (just two screws) and the battery is immediately accessible.
Attachment 39598
But where would you get a replacement battery?

Knowing Sony, letting them do it will probably cost a fortune I fear.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's a battery for 500 and 505 and I think it is compatible with 600 too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Yes, according to the rough comparative measurements I was able to make (the photo of the 505 battery is angled, so it wasn't perfect), that battery is the same size as the 600 one in the photo. It's a little weaker, though, only 750mAh instead of the 840mAh the 600 battery in the photo seems to have. Though, if you're battery is dead, I guess it's better than nothing
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I took a two year warranty with Sony, I think they would not charge for warranty covered readers. Although, I bet the battery dies in 3 years on average.
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

When you will need to replace your battery (besides a miss working one of course) so much time will have passed that, almost for sure, you will be using a new much more powerful eBook reader.
These machines have changed the game as they just last so long that even getting the “normal” totally battery cycles - lets say 500 - one does get several years out of them, I will say at least 5 minimum of the minimum.

So enjoy your reader and have fun.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

While I agree the battery should hold out for a very, very long time, I am not sure your assumption here shows the entire picture. True, the battery might still be working decently after 5, 6 years, but in my experience all batteries lose part of their capacity over time. For example, two years ago I used to be able to get almost three hours of usage from my laptop, these days it barely holds out for more than two - and I have been rather careful to always discharge it fully before charging again. Nothing dramatic, but I do expect in three, four years the battery in my reader will have degraded at least enough to make charging a nuisance, not to mention it will probably not last a whole holiday anymore.

Of course, the future is hard to predict, but I did not buy my reader thinking I would be replacing it in two, three years. As such, it is good to know replacement batteries are available
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm sure someone will come out with a 600 compatible battery by the time the 600 would need one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote