Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
City Island
City Island began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
600 Touch Screen Responsiveness

I just got a new 600 and I'm wondering about the touch screen - there's a major lag when writing notes and drawing - the pen and the line are nowhere near in synch. Software is updated and I did a pin reset. Is this the way everyone else's is? Sony knows how to do touch screens right (from monitors in the late 80's to Clie's) so I'm concerned this is a defect or an adjustment I can't do. Everybody is spoiled by the iPhone's responsiveness, but it would be nice if this particular 600's screen reminded me more of my 1997 Palm Pilot. Thoughts?

Jeff Silverstein
City Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is eink. It's slower then LCD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
City Island
City Island began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
So it's the painting of the line that's slow and that's not fixable? - you really have to slow down your writing so the e ink can catch up?
City Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Island View Post
So it's the painting of the line that's slow and that's not fixable? - you really have to slow down your writing so the e ink can catch up?
Yes you do.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I agree. The note-taking (bookmarks, scribbles, and highlighting) is slooooow.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I agree. The note-taking (bookmarks, scribbles, and highlighting) is slooooow.
I'm afraid I disagree with you. There is a "time lag" with the eInk screen, yes, but that doesn't make it "slow" to use. Write at normal speed - the display will catch up with you. There is no need to wait until you see what you've written appear before continuing to write.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
I agree with Harry. Yes, the line doesn't match the speed of your pen, but it's the same situation as typing on a computer where there is a lag of some kind (e.g. starting to enter a query on Google before the screen is "done"). You can type as fast as you darn well please, you just don't see it yet. If you make an error, you can go back and correct it easily enough.

I guess it might be a problem if you wanted to draw artistically or something....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Island View Post
I just got a new 600 and I'm wondering about the touch screen - there's a major lag when writing notes and drawing - the pen and the line are nowhere near in synch. Software is updated and I did a pin reset. Is this the way everyone else's is? Sony knows how to do touch screens right (from monitors in the late 80's to Clie's) so I'm concerned this is a defect or an adjustment I can't do. Everybody is spoiled by the iPhone's responsiveness, but it would be nice if this particular 600's screen reminded me more of my 1997 Palm Pilot. Thoughts?

Jeff Silverstein
You can't draw on the Kindle, but for typing notes, the keyboard is quite satisfactory; never had a problem with it keeping up. Of course, I'm not exactly a touch-typist, and don't know if someone who is would be as satisfied.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no need to wait until you see what you've written appear before continuing to write.
While in general I agree with you here, I did notice that sometimes, when you write very fast, lines or segments are skipped - for example, you may write 5 letters in quick succession and the 3rd simply doesn't show up. I found with some practice and a steady gait this effect becomes negligible, but for people used to write at an uneven or very high speed it might be a nuisance at first.

The more you write the less of an issue it becomes though, at least it did for me - with a few weeks of practice I can now write almost as fast on the touch as on normal paper.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
While in general I agree with you here, I did notice that sometimes, when you write very fast, lines or segments are skipped - for example, you may write 5 letters in quick succession and the 3rd simply doesn't show up ...
I've found a strange thing: when I import text files into my Kindle, occasionally a letter or two is left out that weren't omitted in the original file. Hmmmm

Anyone else notice this?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've found a strange thing: when I import text files into my Kindle, occasionally a letter or two is left out that weren't omitted in the original file. Hmmmm

Anyone else notice this?
And this has to do with the 600's touch screen how?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And this has to do with the 600's touch screen how?
!

Well, FragFrog noticed that when writing letters in quick succession, sometimes certain strokes don't show up. I was wondering if there could be a common element that is intrinsic to all e-readers that could also be the underlying reason why sometimes when I import text files, the same thing happens.

C'mon, bro -- it wasn't that off-topic!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Raúl
Raúl began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS600
Hi there,

I am also having problems with my PRS-600 when it comes to using the "create edit/notes" menu.

I may underline one word/line/paragraph and then I get a black underground, but it takes some time before it turns light grey and then I can go on highlighting/drawing or turning the page. The problem is that the transition from my highlighting/drawing something takes longer and longer (sometimes nearly one minute). And then I am stuck waiting before I can underline a different portion of text or even turn the page and go on reading. It is frustrating because it makes me wait longer for the saving than I need for the reading of the whole page.

This did not happen to me at the beginning, but now that I have underlined quite a few pages it does happen, and it is getting worse. I thought perhaps there is a limit to the amount of text you can highlight, but that would make the function useless.

Anybody has had the same experience? Any idea as to how this problem might be solved?

Thanks,

Raúl
Raúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #14
erio
erio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
In this video you can see a Hanvon reader, and just look at the response of the writting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcN28YIxVZc

I was thinking about getting one of this instead of the prs-600,but well, i finally prefered the Sony one because of its dicctionary and its look... I'm sure in the future models they'll make this writting option better, its just a matter of time... =)
erio is offline   Reply With Quote