Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Has anyone succeeded in buying the iPod Touch firmware update? Whenever I try it (using the link on the web site) iTunes says "The iTunes Store is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later". Too much load on the server, I guess!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #62
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I knew they bought out ereader, However That is not the only format they SELL!

JJ
True but that can't release someone else's product as their own. It is an application that they are releasing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #63
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Say I jump on the Iphone bandwagon, Amass alot of books while waiting on Sony to get off their duffs and support epub/Adobe DE or the second generation Kindle is released which is why I have not made a purchase yet. Now lets say the stars align and all this comes about, Will I be stuck with ereader formatted books that will not transfer to a later device!
See eReader Decoder Tool, which converts to HTML. It would be nice to have more comprehensive eReader conversion tools, but HTML should be sufficient to preserve your investment.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #64
hughandcraig
hughandcraig began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has anyone succeeded in buying the iPod Touch firmware update? Whenever I try it (using the link on the web site) iTunes says "The iTunes Store is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later". Too much load on the server, I guess!
I have been patiently waiting and getting the same as you Harry. It now says that I have the latest version and no longer tries to upgrade. Poo.
hughandcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughandcraig View Post
I have been patiently waiting and getting the same as you Harry. It now says that I have the latest version and no longer tries to upgrade. Poo.
According to engadget it has been up and down all day... along with the new MobileMe we site. I also read that the stores selling the new iPhone are having problems activating them due to the server load.

Apple always seems to have release issues like this. You think they would add capacity before releases like this. Of course, all will be forgiven of Apple next week. If MS has a roll out like this people would talk about it for years to come as a reason to never use or trust MS in any way.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #66
hughandcraig
hughandcraig began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks PilotBob - now back to server unavailable. I suppose me constantly refreshing the update button isn't helping their server problems.
hughandcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah well, never mind. I'll try it first thing tomorrow morning when North America is asleep.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Same thing happening here. Guess we'll just have to wait. Apple really should have known better and staggered their major releases. Could have done the 2.0 firmware for the Touch first and then the Phone and then release the iPhone. That would be a way to do it. But nope, they have to do it all on the same day. Whoever's bad idea that was should be fired.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #69
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
I knew they bought out ereader, However That is not the only format they SELL!

JJ
Fictionwise has been getting more into the client side as things go on. For a long time they did not have any reader of their own, and only sold books to be read on software from other companies. A few years ago there was some information about "Fictionwise Reader" software posted on their site, but I do not think it ever got past the beta stage. They also started selling ETI hardware rebadged as the eBookwise a while back.

This year they purchased eReader, which included responsibility to maintain and upgrade the existing eReader software, to expand an audience that could not be taken away from them on the whim of another company (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18990). They have made several changes, including making the Pro versions free, updating the outdated Symbian software (now in beta for recent Symbian devices), and have released the iPod Touch/iPhone software. If you were an eReader customer a year ago, such possibilities seemed very unlikely. Even less likely was the possibility of a Blackberry client, or seeing eReader on an eInk device, both of which seem to be in the works now.

Why would they pay another company, like Mobi, for the ability to use their SDK, to develop reader software so they could pay Mobi royalties? Except in those cases where Mobi is the exclusive DRM format (Cybook, et al.) the Mobi software is usually written by Mobi themselves. Since the software market for iPhone is looking much like the one for PDAs (meaning that there will be several readers and formats from which to choose), I would hope we get an iPhone version of MobiPocket, but I would expect Mobi to develop it.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #70
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Jack,
Thank you that is a much better explanation than just they own it.

JJ

It also just occurred to me that by using the Iphone as a reader there is no buttons, That is alot of scrolling, pinching and swiping!
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #71
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BUMP!

Can anyone report on the actual user experience? What's still missing? What extras are there?

It just dawned on me that they're *selling* a bunch of classic, free books via itunes... I am right about that, no? That the bunch listed at the launch were old freebies, right? Unless they've done an incredible job of formatting the classics, that's just a quick money maker for them. It makes me wonder if they've set up ereader to ONLY read tagged books from iTunes. A simple way to find out is whether a regular free ebook for ereader transfered to the iPhone can be read or not.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, you're mistaken. The books listed in the App store are not eReader books - they are all PD books packaged with their own reader app - nothing to do with eReader. For eReader, the reading app is free; the books you download are the ones you've bought from the eReader web site.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #73
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You will not be "stuck" with the eReader books. You will be able to use the eReader books on any device that is supported by eReader software. Currently there are no eInk devices on the list, the Astak Mentors due out this summer will be the first.

Will you be able to read your eReader books on a Kindle... I pretty much doubt it.

BOb
Hey Bob I just ran some ereader formatted books thru Stanza and exported to .azw format. So I think I am safe for now. (Haven't Tried DRM'ed ereader yet to get off the wallet for any yet!)

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #74
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hey Bob I just ran some ereader formatted books thru Stanza and exported to .azw format. So I think I am safe for now. (Haven't Tried DRM'ed ereader yet to get off the wallet for any yet!)

JJ
I assumed the following when answering your question...

1. That you had DRMed eReader files.
2. That you were not removing the DRM.

Pretty much any format that is not DRMed can be converted in some way to another format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #75
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Can anyone report on the actual user experience? What's still missing? What extras are there?
This isn't from a typical user, but see teleread's more thoughts from Fictionwise co-owner Steve Pendergrast on eReader for the iPhone.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote