Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Lawrence Lessig's "The Future of Ideas" set free

"The Future of Ideas" is now free for download thanks to Lawrence Lessig and his publisher, Random House.

The only downside is that the download is limited to a PDF version; anyone up to the "format shifting"?

From Lawrence Lessig's Blog:

Quote:
After a productive and valuable conversation with my publisher, Random House, they've agreed to permit The Future of Ideas to be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial license. You can download the book for free here, or above.

This means all four of my books are now CC licensed. Code (v1) was licensed under a BY-SA license; so too, Code (v2). And Free Culture and now The Future of Ideas are licensed under BY-NC licenses.

I am particularly glad that The Future of Ideas is now freely licensed. That book hit the stores 2 weeks after September 11. I'm glad it now has a chance to flow a bit more freely.

Thanks to Random House (and Basic Books, and Penguin) for being open to this experiment. I hope we'll have some useful data to report about its effect.
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I guess this proves that at least some authors have power to influence whether or not their books are released as ebooks. This guy's even got them release as FREE ebooks.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
They just forgot to insert bookmarks/hyperlinked ToC.
Pdf file was created with QuarkXPress 4.x in 2001, got it last editings in december 2007 [CC title, copyright cross-outs].

Yes, it is compatible with iLiad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Future_of_Ideas_iLiad.png
Views:	785
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	9342  
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Would anyone mind emailing this to me? Uncle Sam has blocked the download link on government computers I'm forced to use. :-(

mobileread (at) spidermatt.cjb.net
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Has anybody managed to crop this file? I tried in Linux with pdfcrop but the result was not so good. Then I tried with pdfedit and got a file that looked perfect in xpdf and acroread but in my Gen3 it looks like the file I started with.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Has anybody managed to crop this file? I tried in Linux with pdfcrop but the result was not so good. Then I tried with pdfedit and got a file that looked perfect in xpdf and acroread but in my Gen3 it looks like the file I started with.
Munseys has it in non-PDF format.

http://www.munseys.com/book/25597/The_Future_Of_Ideas

You can probably get it in a ready-to-read for your eBook reader there.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post

Great catch.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perfect. It was very hard to find any other version and probably because the license was not Share Alike. I assume that Munsey must have gotten permission to distribute in other formats.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post

Thanks for the link. Save me a couple hours since I just started to use Book Designer to convert the PDF file.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perfect. It was very hard to find any other version and probably because the license was not Share Alike. I assume that Munsey must have gotten permission to distribute in other formats.
I just read about creative commons licenses and I was wrong here. The license allows you to format shift and distribute it. Even if it had been no derivatives you had been allowed to format shift it.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Quote:
I just read about creative commons licenses and I was wrong here. The license allows you to format shift and distribute it. Even if it had been no derivatives you had been allowed to format shift it.
Good, that's what I thought that particular CC license allowed. Glad to see munsey had it for LRF already, though I haven't had the chance to check out the formatting yet.
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote