Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Delivery date on KFHDX-7-32-WiFi-2013

My delivery date on the new KFHDX 7" 32 Gb WiFi No Special Offers 2013 is Oct 18, 2013.

My delivery date on the Paperwhite 2013 is still Oct 2, 2013, and I've already received the cover.

Both are still labeled "Not Yet Shipped."

I hear that we will be able to see lyrics for songs purchased from Amazon. I'm also curious how eBooks will display there as well.

Plus, in case of problems, we can get customer support directly on the KFHDX.

I'm wondering if all the new software enhancements will also be upgrading our "old" (2012) units. It appears obsolescence is now 2 years and old is 1 year. I have a hunch that money spent on eReaders now exceeds money spent on eBooks. Amazon and Apple say eBooks and movies are their mainstay but I think its really all the eReaders and no one is talking.

PBook publishers must now be in a panic.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-25-2013 at 04:00 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I knew you would be upgrading. I will be getting the new HDX 7 16GB one. I plan to order it the first week of October. I still have my Kindle Fire from the First Generation.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Suprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I knew you would be upgrading. I will be getting the new HDX 7 16GB one. I plan to order it the first week of October. I still have my Kindle Fire from the First Generation.
What surprises me is that no one else, who posts here regularly, appears to have ordered the 2013 KFHDX. If that can be projected, it appears Amazon sales of that product will be way under prior estimates.

Last year there were lots of folks posting their expected delivery dates for the 2012 KFHD.

One big mistake was limiting the 2 way camera only to the 8.9" version. That almost turned me off from making a purchase of my 7" version. However, I don't take many pictures anymore other than for storm damage to collect insurance. My old pocket camera does fine for that.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I haven't decided to order one or not.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I'm wondering if all the new software enhancements will also be upgrading our "old" (2012) units. It appears obsolescence is now 2 years and old is 1 year.
Amazon says no:

Quote:
Fire OS 3.0 is available exclusively on the all-new Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't think I will get one. I think I am going to root my KFHD7 today and turn it into a regular android tablet.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon says no:
I don't think the new o/s would run on the old Fires.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

For those willing to buy an Android tablet outside of the Amazon ecosystem, there are much better options that run true Android rather than Amazon's forked Android. I doubt the Fires will do as well this year due to the influx of so many other tablet options over the past year. Amazon does not have Apple's fan-base when it comes to tablets, so they are going to have to price these new ones lower to compete with similarly equipped Android tablets or they will see their sells erode.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think the new o/s would run on the old Fires.
They put it in the HD (2013), so it'll work on the HD (2012).
Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I think the new Fire is going to be super hot this holiday season. It has everything that a Kindle should have. The new accessibility features are going to appeal to more people. The new battery saving mode when you read it a new feature no other tablet has. There are so many new things to the HDX that I suspect it will be do quite well. It has complete office suite, Calendar and other apps we have asked for in the past.

I applaud Amazon for creating their own hybrid O/S and I am really excited about the HDX I think once it's released many people will change their tune.

If you want a Kindle that does it all this baby is awesome!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Amazon does not have Apple's fan-base when it comes to tablets, so they are going to have to price these new ones lower to compete with similarly equipped Android tablets or they will see their sells erode.
And they'll start losing that fan base if they don't allow last year's models to be upgraded with the latest OS.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
They put it in the HD (2013), so it'll work on the HD (2012).
Doesn't the new HD has a new processor though?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Doesn't the new HD has a new processor though?
I don't think that's been determined yet. The 2012 model has a TI OMAP 4460 CPU running at 1.2 GHz. The 2013 model got a speed bump to 1.5 GHz; within the limits of that CPU.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I don't think that's been determined yet. The 2012 model has a TI OMAP 4460 CPU running at 1.2 GHz. The 2013 model got a speed bump to 1.5 GHz; within the limits of that CPU.
I don't think we wont know then till someone takes one apart.
I cringe at the thought. I remember the drop test done on the KFv1. *shudders*
Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I will be upgrading and my current Kindle Fire HD will find its way to eBay soon. Should about cut the price in half of my 32GB Wifi model.

I am pretty excited about being able to download Prime videos!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote