Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
it-s
it-s began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Books Note
Question SketchBook (autodesk) on OnyxBoox Note

Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting me an OnyxBoox Note 10 ans was wondering if anyone has tried to install the Autodesk SketchBook app on one of those.
Edit: or a similar digital artwork/sketchpad app
I just wanted to know if the app works at all, and if the Wacom pressure is working in the app.

Or maybe (if there are any artists in the audience) you could recommend another device

Thanks
it-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
The app installed just fine, but what a horrible experience trying to use it.

Lots of lag, and even when I specifically selected a brush or a pen, the airbrush also seem to be selected. Strokes didnt show up as I was making them. They would usually appear a few moments later on the small little viewer which I suppose shows what`s be drawn on that layer. When I clicked on that small viewer, it would then update the main screen. Pressure sensitivity did not seem to be working on this app...

I didn`t play around with it all that much. Perhaps if one played with the settings it might become somewhat more functional although I doubt it. I quickly uninstalled it.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I don't have Onyx Boox Note but I have Max 2 Pro (13.3 inch, 4 GB RAM) and yes, I do run Autodesk Sketchbook. I did find that the app was slow and kept crashing with my previous device (Onyx Boox Max 2 13,3 inch but with 2 GB RAM). It really was a horrible experience. However, with my recent upgrade to Max 2 Pro the app actually runs and yes it is still a bit slow but not bad.
I found that Artrage runs smoother than Autodesk Sketchbook, but the pencil tools are not so nice.
Did you turn off the capacitive touch before using Autodesk Sketchbook? Have you compared the performance in both A2 mode and non-A2 mode?
I also use my Ipad 2018 with Apple Pencil. Using the onyx boox max 2 Pro and the apple ipad with the apple pencil are totally different experiences, but they are both satisfying. I find drawing on the onxy boox max 2 pro rather relaxing and the brushes (Artrage and Autodesk sketchbook) give different results. The big advantage I see for the Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (or Onyx/e ink devices capable of running sketching/drawing apps) is the potential to study values and experimenting in "slow but deliberate" mark making. My drawings look more like sumi paintings on the onyx boox max 2 pro and I have great fun experimenting with using both the IPad and the onyx boox. I use Onyx Boox more because I prefer the slower experience and for my health issues (headaches, eyestrain from LCD screens).
My main point is that the Onyx Boox will be a bit slow with the pen input with 3rd party apps. But maybe worth retrying with A2 mode and capacitive mode turned off. There is also optimization option (in firmware 2.0 in Max 2 Pro) where you can play with the settings...
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I also use Artflow seems to work fine in A2 mode and capacitive touch turned off. Also wanted to say that that pressure sensitivity is overall ok in Sketchbook, Artrage and Artflow. There are some peculiarities when I brushes like pencils (in Artrage, Autodesk sketchbook) and some other brushes these seem to disperse more with increased pressure rather than making a thicker line (compared to how it works on Ipad or another pressure sensitive tablet).
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post
Did you turn off the capacitive touch before using Autodesk Sketchbook? Have you compared the performance in both A2 mode and non-A2 mode?

My main point is that the Onyx Boox will be a bit slow with the pen input with 3rd party apps. But maybe worth retrying with A2 mode and capacitive mode turned off. There is also optimization option (in firmware 2.0 in Max 2 Pro) where you can play with the settings...
Hadn't thought to do either of those things. Very good to know. It would probably have also helped if I had been familiar with the app beforehand or also had it installed on a tablet for comparison's sake. Glad to know it worked alright for you.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
huaxia
huaxia began at the beginning.

Device: none
OnyxBoox Note

I just ordered a OnyxBoox Note .
I also ordered XP-Pen Star G640S Android Drawing Pad .
The XP-Pen offers 20 nib replacements .
it wroks well with SketchBook software , I can use the pressure .
huaxia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, art, onyc boox note, sketch, wacom