Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #31
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can we please dispense with all discussion concerning Amazon exclusivity in this recommendation thread? It's not at all relevant.
I agree 100%!
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #32
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Looks good, but to bad it is not available as an EPub.
You can use caliber to convert to epub
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #33
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
It seems this thread got a little side tracked but I just wanted to say that this book is the best I've read in a long time. I also usually ignore books that have to do with war but I had seen this recommended in another thread and since I had just signed up with KU it seemed like a good one to start with. Even the preface grabbed my attention. I see why it's so highly rated and I would also highly recommend.

Bergette
Same here! I knew there was another thread I could not find it so i created this one. Sorry! I was not expecting to love it but I loved it so much I purchased a paper copy and sent it to my friend
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
You can use caliber to convert to epub
Previously,

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I need to give it some thought. I'd just assume not encourage Amazon exclusivity.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
I think I included two or three books that I wanted to read that weren't on the NYT bestseller lists. ...
Thanks for the clarification.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can we please dispense with all discussion concerning Amazon exclusivity in this recommendation thread? It's not at all relevant.
I don't see that as an issue given that this is a duplicate thread and taking the subject in a different direction helps this thread not be so duplicate.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't see that as an issue given that this is a duplicate thread and taking the subject in a different direction helps this thread not be so duplicate.
I DO see it as an issue. This thread is in the recommendation forum. As such, it's not the place for crying about formats, lack of availability, or exclusivity. This is the place to discuss whether or not you enjoyed reading the book--as others keep trying to return to doing.

If you want to read it; find a way. If you don't; then don't. Move on. Stop dragging rec threads down with extraneous agendas.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-27-2018 at 06:01 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #38
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It means that there are not enough people who buy Amazon exclusives to get them in the NYT list. The NYT's list is one a lot of people browse and buy books they see there they may be interested in.
A more accurate statement would probably be "that there are not enough sales of the particular APub titles through the channels that the NYT takes account of in compiling its lists". For physical sales that means a small selected sample of bookstores, most of whom no doubt boycott Amazon titles. For ebooks it means data from a company called Royalty Share which provides information to publishers. I don't know whether they even count APub sales. Also, of course, the NYT does not release information about how they compile their lists, which they regard as a trade secret. Personally, I have little faith in the integrity of the process.

As for the recommendation, thank you. I read a lot of WWII books many years ago, and these days am simply not interested in them. However, on the strength of the recommendations here and its availability in KU, I'm going to give it a try.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote