Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2016, 12:20 AM   #76
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Another update -
Made identifying the nickname first and added a warning to stop if the model is not in the table.

That should save people from discovering the hard way that nothing packaged with KindleTool is going to work (including the 'hotfix').

Yup, somebody tried that, and learned the hard way already.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:04 AM   #77
peterslo
peterslo began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2
I have a really silly question. During the jailbreak I was really inattentive and probably missed a step after downgrading.

Is it okay if I start fresh - downgrade again and slowly continue with third and fourth step? Is it like formatting my computer disk and installing a fresh version of OS?
peterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 AM   #78
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterslo View Post
I have a really silly question. During the jailbreak I was really inattentive and probably missed a step after downgrading.

Is it okay if I start fresh - downgrade again and slowly continue with third and fourth step? Is it like formatting my computer disk and installing a fresh version of OS?
Deep breath and do it over.
You might try a pot of coffee, or your other preferred 'stay awake' solution (pun intended) first.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #79
peterslo

Will do that, thanks!

Last edited by peterslo; 07-06-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 AM   #80
SteveJordan
SteveJordan began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It has been more than long enough now -
And I have even taken an: "old fart's afternoon power nap" -

All I can think of is 'serial port'
Sorry about that, I really, really am sorry that we (I mostly) bricked your Kindle.

Just for background, would you make some guesses about the following?
It might help us to understand what was different between yours and the ones we tested with.

How many documents/books where on the device? Tens, Hundreds, Thousands
Do you make bookmarks, annotations? None, Few, Many
Do you use collections? None, Few, Many
Use the Kindle's Cloud Account or just Local? Cloud, Local, Both

These have been tested and found not to cause an issue since yours bricked, but just the same...
You had a passcode set? Yes, No
This was an ad supported (Special Offers) Kindle? Yes, No

Do you recall what version of the firmware was running when you started this downgrade process?

Was the device registered?

What are the first six characters of the device's serial number (you can find that now in your Kindle account on Amazon).

Although various people have been doing additional testing, all findings have been negative -
Translation: Nobody has been able to duplicate your problem.

And in advance -
I am sorry if any of the above information was already posted here, I would like it all in one lump, in a single post.
Maybe someone will see something in it that will help us duplicate the problem (its real hard to fix something we can't find).

I re-wrote the instructions based on your problems and I think I may have scared a lot of people off from the idea of downgrading this way.

From the server records, there have been about 360 people downgrading with this method, and only this one brick reported that I know of.
Hello everyone ! So ...

I've cut all my books with their "kindle files" before the downgrade.
I've made very few bookmarks and not annotations.
I use about 6 collections.

Use the Kindle's Cloud Account or just Local? Both, but I use a lot the local

You had a passcode set? Yes

This was an ad supported (Special Offers) Kindle? No (removed the ad with Amazon support)

Do you recall what version of the firmware was running when you started this downgrade process? 5.7.4.1

Was the device registered? Yes

What are the first six characters of the device's serial number ? G090G1

Thank you for your help

EDIT : I've tried to put the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE to another computer :
Same problem, the disk disconnect too fast like knc1 said before.

If we can't find something, serial port will be the last solution ?

Last edited by SteveJordan; 07-06-2016 at 04:03 AM.
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 03:26 AM   #81
nbveh
nbveh began at the beginning.

Device: TrekStor Pyrus mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As knc1 said.

The jailbreak, once successfully installed per this thread, is persistent and will survive all known firmware updates. It includes a "bridge" (installed as part of the 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 poison filename jailbreak, or via the >=5.6.x hotfix).
Unless you apply a factory reset, which you didn't, so no worries.

Now you are jailbroken, as per this thread, feel free to upgrade or not, as it pleases you.
Which means, do you care about Amazon's latest improvements (and not everyone does).
Hello.

I've jailbreaked PW3, special offers enabled, without any problem. But if i update the device to the latest firmware, it kind of disappears. Jailbreak itself is still there, because if i downgrade again it's back, but on the latest FW things like KUAL and Kpvbooklet are hidden. Any ideas?

Thanks!
nbveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 AM   #82
peterslo

Okay, this time I was able to get to the very last step.
After uploading the Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin file, the button Update your Kindle is grayed out - cannot press it.

After searching through the threads - I'm supposed to install mkk and kual afterwards. then place the hotfix in a certain folder?
I have no idea which file (from mkk zip) to copy to my PW2 4GB Kindle.

Spoiler:
Use the Kindle's Cloud Account or just Local? Both, mostly local

You had a passcode set? Never

This was an ad supported (Special Offers) Kindle? No (removed the ad with Amazon support)

Do you recall what version of the firmware was running when you started this downgrade process? 5.8.1

What are the first six characters of the device's serial number ? 9017

Last edited by peterslo; 07-06-2016 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:16 AM   #83
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Okay, this time I was able to get to the very last step.
After uploading the Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin file, the button Update your Kindle is grayed out - cannot press it.

After searching through the threads - I'm supposed to install mkk and kual afterwards. then place the hotfix in a certain folder?
I have no idea which file (from mkk zip) to copy to my PW2 4GB Kindle.

Spoiler:
Use the Kindle's Cloud Account or just Local? Both, mostly local

You had a passcode set? Never

Do you recall what version of the firmware was running when you started this downgrade process? 5.8.1

What are the first six characters of the device's serial number ? 9017
"After uploading the Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin file, the button Update your Kindle is grayed out - cannot press it. "
From where? Link please.
List the contents of the archive it comes packed in -
If the modification date is prior to July 4th - you got an out-of-date 'hotfix'
Was there any problems with installing the special JB file in the previous step?

"After searching through the threads"
DO NOT stray from the first post of this thread other than via the links included in the first post.

Last edited by knc1; 07-06-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #84
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbveh View Post
Hello.

I've jailbreaked PW3, special offers enabled, without any problem. But if i update the device to the latest firmware, it kind of disappears. Jailbreak itself is still there, because if i downgrade again it's back, but on the latest FW things like KUAL and Kpvbooklet are hidden. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Change the setting of the Cloud/Local thingy on the left of the main screen.

The labeling and function of it changed with one of the very recent versions.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:29 AM   #85
knc1
Going Viral

@stevejorden:
Quote:
EDIT : I've tried to put the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE to another computer :
Same problem, the disk disconnect too fast like knc1 said before.

If we can't find something, serial port will be the last solution ?
That is the result of having a passcode set (directions have been changed to tell people to remove it).

Yes, serial port will be last choice if nothing else is found.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #86
peterslo

Quote:
"After uploading the Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin file, the button Update your Kindle is grayed out - cannot press it. "
From where? Link please.
List the contents of the archive it comes packed in -
If the modification date is prior to July 4th - you got an out-of-date 'hotfix'
Was there any problems with installing the special JB file in the previous step?

"After searching through the threads"
DO NOT stray from the first post of this thread other than via the links included in the first post.
I have downloaded the file from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

Its contents are :
Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin from 4.7.2016
CREDITS from 20.2.2015

There were no problems installing the JB, no errors whatsoever. The screen flashed and rebooted. All is working normally, I did not do any other modifications.

I appreciate the time you're taking, to help me and other people!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #87
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have downloaded the file from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

Its contents are :
Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin from 4.7.2016
CREDITS from 20.2.2015

There were no problems installing the JB, no errors whatsoever. The screen flashed and rebooted. All is working normally, I did not do any other modifications.

I appreciate the time you're taking, to help me and other people!
I will have to refer this one out to NiLuJe because 9017 is certainly supported and you used the most recent 'hotfix'.

Just stand-by, do not do anything, do not change the registration status, do not do a 'reset', do not do anything at all.

There is a time-zone difference involved, we may not hear from NiLuJe for a few hours.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #88
peterslo

Quote:
I will have to refer this one out to NiLuJe because 9017 is certainly supported and you used the most recent 'hotfix'.

Just stand-by, do not do anything, do not change the registration status, do not do a 'reset', do not do anything at all.

There is a time-zone difference involved, we may not hear from NiLuJe for a few hours.

Okay, will do that. If you need any other information, let me know.
Thank you!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #89
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
Hmm, ok. So, what I have to do finally ? Can I expect use my kindle one day ?
To be honest, I'm a little bit confused ,,,
Leave it on a wall charger while we work on this.
At least one person reported that their Kindle (a KT2) required over an hour for the downgrade to complete.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #90
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroro430 View Post
Thank you for the supports.
Maybe I have some collections stored in device. and I don't think it is a wifi problem.

Anyway, I will keep trying to figure out what's going on.
(And maybe I have to take the serial hack.)
Leave it on a wall charger while we work on this.
At least one person reported that their Kindle (a KT2) took over an hour to complete the downgrade.