Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #46
dibster
dibster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Is anyone else having an issue in the 4.17.xx updates when selecting certain chapters in the TOC or using the chapter skip buttons, it takes me to a random page in the middle of that chapter instead of the beginning of the file? I'm using EPUBs on my Clara HD, and didn't have this problem with the 4.15 version.

It doesn't occur with every chapter, but for the chapters that this does happen with, it does it consistently. Curiously enough though, if i select the hyperlink in the book's table of contents (if it has one) instead of the Kobo GUI, it takes me to the correct location. I tried looking at the HTML files in calibre, but I don't see anything in the file that would cause the reader to take me to the middle of the chapter, and all the hyperlinks in the TOC are correct. Another thing I noticed is that with the new chapter progress header, it will calculate the page count based on where the TOC incorrectly points to (for example, if the chapter is actually 20 pages long, but the TOC takes me to the 7th page of that chapter, it won't show a page count for the first 6 pages, but then on the 7th page, it will show "page 1 of 14"). Again, these are the exact same EPUB files that worked perfectly fine in 4.15.

I read through the whole threads about the new firmware and haven't come across anyone with this issue, so just posting here to try and see if there's any resolution for this. Thanks!
dibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibster View Post
Is anyone else having an issue in the 4.17.xx updates when selecting certain chapters in the TOC or using the chapter skip buttons, it takes me to a random page in the middle of that chapter instead of the beginning of the file? I'm using EPUBs on my Clara HD, and didn't have this problem with the 4.15 version.

It doesn't occur with every chapter, but for the chapters that this does happen with, it does it consistently. Curiously enough though, if i select the hyperlink in the book's table of contents (if it has one) instead of the Kobo GUI, it takes me to the correct location. I tried looking at the HTML files in calibre, but I don't see anything in the file that would cause the reader to take me to the middle of the chapter, and all the hyperlinks in the TOC are correct. Another thing I noticed is that with the new chapter progress header, it will calculate the page count based on where the TOC incorrectly points to (for example, if the chapter is actually 20 pages long, but the TOC takes me to the 7th page of that chapter, it won't show a page count for the first 6 pages, but then on the 7th page, it will show "page 1 of 14"). Again, these are the exact same EPUB files that worked perfectly fine in 4.15.

I read through the whole threads about the new firmware and haven't come across anyone with this issue, so just posting here to try and see if there's any resolution for this. Thanks!
I just noticed the weird chapter page count today. For the first epub I looked at, it didn't show the chapter page count at all except for there was a file not in the ToC. And then it was a page per file. But, this is a test book with fairly short chapters.

Checking the epub I had just finished, it displayed the behaviour your are describing. I can't see a pattern to it. This does have some 20+ page chapters. The code in this is clean, though a couple of the front-matter files are not in the ToC. Another file, that I had just finished cleaning today, doesn't show the navigation problem. But, when you do this, it shows the chapter page numbering as "x of x" where x is the number of pages in the chapter I just came from. When paging through the chapter, this doesn't changed, but paging out and back in, the page numbering is fixed.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-21-2019 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Correction on which page count is being shown
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #48
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just noticed the weird chapter page count today. For the first epub I looked at, it didn't show the chapter page count at all except for there was a file not in the ToC. And then it was a page per file. But, this is a test book with fairly short chapters.

Checking the epub I had just finished, it displayed the behaviour your are describing. I can't see a pattern to it. This does have some 20+ page chapters. The code in this is clean, though a couple of the front-matter files are not in the ToC. Another file, that I had just finished cleaning today, doesn't show the navigation problem. But, when you do this, it shows the chapter page numbering as "x of x" where x is the number of pages in the chapter I just came from. When paging through the chapter, this doesn't changed, but paging out and back in, the page numbering is fixed.
I haven't run across this issue yet (but I've only been reading 2 well-structured books for around an hour with it). But, that's one of the main things I noticed had been changed when comparing the firmware. I'll take a look at the actual code itself later today.

P.S. I did notice a large improvement in general touch response time and accuracy on my A2v1, though, especially on the keyboard.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #49
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmosDrChiper has become one with the cosmos

Device: pc, 600, t1, t2, t3, nexus 7, kobo aura 2, lg 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
[...]2) A deleted Annotation is still highlighted till you exit the book.
Confirmed on my A2v1. But when you select to highlight, re-select to remove the highlight, the annotation is now really removed. In the previous FW it did not and you had to exit and reenter the ebook to get rid of the highlighting. So some improvement is made

Last edited by DrChiper; 09-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #50
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
Is there a difference in dictionary-files?

A friend who got a new Libra, has an empty .kobo/dict directory.

My old Aura HD have files there, even after updating to this firmware.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Is there a difference in dictionary-files?

A friend who got a new Libra, has an empty .kobo/dict directory.

My old Aura HD have files there, even after updating to this firmware.
Have they selected and downloaded the dictionaries they want through the Language settings? I don't remember if any get installed by default.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #52
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
That was it! Thanks davidfor.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #53
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Forma, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have they selected and downloaded the dictionaries they want through the Language settings? I don't remember if any get installed by default.
I think the Libra had just dicthtml.zip out of the box.

The H2o and the Clara had none; the Glo HD and the Forma had dicthtml-fr and dicthtml-en-fr, so country appropriate since I'm French - and bought from Fnac.

I'm not sure I used the exact same protocol for saving initial settings though.

Last edited by anacreon; 09-21-2019 at 11:17 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #54
trishau
trishau is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo glo
On my Clara HD the left side swipe to change brightness is not working. It did on previous 4.17.13651 FW. Have been through all the settings and can't see how to enable it!
trishau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #55
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishau View Post
On my Clara HD the left side swipe to change brightness is not working. It did on previous 4.17.13651 FW. Have been through all the settings and can't see how to enable it!
It's working on my Forma, it's on the first page of reading settings second option from the bottom which is where it's been since 4.17 started, possibly earlier as well.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #56
trishau
trishau is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo glo
Ahhhhhhh - couldn't see for looking! Thank you very much!!!
trishau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #57
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
The patches are out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323176.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #58
Phil_C
Zealot
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-300Black/350Silver/350Blue/T3Black x2; Kobo Clara HD x2
Thank you so much. It's a beautiful thing!
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #59
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
How long is the update supposed to take? It's been stuck on the three dots for more than 10 minutes now on my Clara HD and I'm starting to worry. The miniclock plugin appears now and again but nothing else happens. Could it have to do with the fact that I also copied some new books onto the SD card at the same time? Anything I can do at this point?

Edit: Phew, it finally updated, even after turning it off and on a couple of times. I was already dreading having to open it up again.
But is is really slow and even freezing on the new firmware. I will have to downgrade or do a factory reset.

Last edited by LucyOne; 09-22-2019 at 04:41 AM.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #60
jsessions
jsessions began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Clara HD
Many thanks to all those involved in updating the patches so quickly for latest firmware update.

PS @LucyOne - update (firmware & patches) took moments on my Clara HD, certainly nothing like 10mins+
jsessions is offline   Reply With Quote